Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:19:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: January priorities  (Read 9927 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: January priorities
« Reply #30 on November 26, 2023, 10:01:38 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
With the majority of our earlier season injury crisis now over (for the time being) we have a full squad, or will before the January window if we avoid more longer term injuries.

We can’t keep throwing yet more money at the problem, especially given the challenges of the January window.

Personally the only change I would make is replace Marsh as a loanee if he is going to be out for several months, with another loan striker given Miller looks a long term doubt now.

We have a litany of central defenders and players like Bailey and Senior who can play central defence. McCann should be getting a tune out of a least some combination of Anderson, Wood, Olowu, Long, Faulkner, Senior and Bailey. That should be the aim, not spending more money.

That's the more sensible approach and probably how McCann is realistically thinking.

I don't think many managers look forward to January window looking for major surgery. Making the most of what we have is essential before writing any players off. 

Confidence and belief are massive in football, and McCann needs to make sure these levels keep improving from where we've been. It doesn't take big changes to swing yesterday's result from a loss to a win. This is when managers really show their worth.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on November 26, 2023, 10:55:44 am by Nudga »
I see what you're saying but I think GM will use it to carry on building "his squad".
Marsh and Roberts are likely to go back I reckon.
Anderson and Olowu always have a mistake in them every game so wd do need another commanding centre back.
Anderson has been here a while now so is GM going to be able to get those mistakes out of him now? I don't think so.
But, I wouldn't let Anderson or Olowu go in this window or in the summer.
The centre backs who go in the summer should be Long and Wood.

I would be tempted to offload Biggins sooner rather than later though, he doesn't keep hold of possession we'll enough for me and doesn't have that killer pass. Yes scores a screamer or two but overall contribution is not up to much.

I would like to see Bailey in the midfield so that's why I would push the boat out for a decent centre half..
I doubt of there's any better goalkeepers available in January so stick with what we've got for now.

Worst thing we can do is do nothing, there's still a few players we have from previous seasons with a bit of rot in them.
I think there's plenty of manoeuvrability to do business in January.

End of season I'd be paying off Taylor and Lavery. I wouldn't keep Wood on because of his age and one of senior keepers I'd be selling.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on November 26, 2023, 10:57:09 am by Chris Black come back »
Both Lavery and Taylor are out of contract this summer. They will leave without needing paying off, should we decide not to renew.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on November 26, 2023, 10:58:20 am by Nudga »
Even better.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on November 26, 2023, 11:00:23 am by DonnyOsmond »
The immediate question for me is -

Why did McCann change a fully rested winning team?

Especially when Wood was the star performer v Accrington.

I’m aware it’s an unpopular opinion, but I’ve never agreed with the cliche “you should never change a winning team”. You should pick the team that you believe has the best chance of winning the game that you’re currently playing, and if that means changes from a team which won the last game then so be it. There’s so much more nuance to the game than just picking a team that won last time out.

That said, if Wood was as impressive as reported and Anderson has not been playing particularly well for most of the season then it’s a fair question why that particular change was made.

Aye if the first team you're playing against is quick in defence but not very tall you play to the height advantage, then if the next team is slow but tall you're not gonna play the same team just because they won last time, if you can get through their defence using pace then do it.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on November 26, 2023, 12:56:14 pm by Alan Southstand »
If Roberts & Marsh do go back, we have 3 available loan slots. GM has already said he wants another striker, so that leaves 2 places - either a dm or a cb for 1 slot and I’d have a keeper.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on November 26, 2023, 01:01:40 pm by mushRTID »
It’s really frustrating we are having discussions about the GK again.
The summer was the perfect chance to sort that and some of us who raised concerns about Lawlor joining were shot down.

Trust GM I really do but it was a poor signing.

It had to be a new number 1 and keep Jones as 2. If he wanted to go and be first choice fine, 2 new goalies.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on November 26, 2023, 01:15:01 pm by danumdon »
The immediate question for me is -

Why did McCann change a fully rested winning team?

Especially when Wood was the star performer v Accrington.

I’m aware it’s an unpopular opinion, but I’ve never agreed with the cliche “you should never change a winning team”. You should pick the team that you believe has the best chance of winning the game that you’re currently playing, and if that means changes from a team which won the last game then so be it. There’s so much more nuance to the game than just picking a team that won last time out.

That said, if Wood was as impressive as reported and Anderson has not been playing particularly well for most of the season then it’s a fair question why that particular change was made.

Aye if the first team you're playing against is quick in defence but not very tall you play to the height advantage, then if the next team is slow but tall you're not gonna play the same team just because they won last time, if you can get through their defence using pace then do it.

Its a very fair point NC makes.

We have had such a disjointed and stop start season with our regular multitude of injuries/lack of form/playing formations, ect that it would of made very good sense to have kept the winning team together to start this match.

We have struggled for form and consistency all season so to have a kick start with a very good result at a place where we never do well should of been our plan, we just need to try to play some sort of fixed formation just to get the players all tuned in and understanding what's required.

If we keep chopping and changing every week and every game we will never build that harmony and understanding that all good teams have and need.

I'm concerned that this far into the season(regardless of our injury list) that it still looks like we are experimenting to try to fins the winning formula. I'd of thought that GM would now know what he has and who should be his first choice players and formation, the constant tinkering with players, form, injury has made a very difficult season for us even harder.

Just hoping we can offload some surplus/not in favour players to enable us to bring maybe one or two who can come straight in and become regulars for the rest of the season and then kick on from there.

Major restructure needed in the summer to burn off the excess and try to bring in some quality(preferably the type that does not require reconstruction and rehabilitation)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 01:17:03 pm by danumdon »

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on November 26, 2023, 04:09:02 pm by StocksArmy »
Jones is better than Lawlor yet we still need a keeper. Thats saying something. Priority has to be 2 centre halves and a midfielder. And then in the summer another 2 midfielders a wide player and definitely a keeper. Thats when we can look to compete at the top end. GM not speaking about how easily we are to score against is starting to grind on me. How can he expect us to be hard to beat with a gung ho strategy and no solid base at the back or in midfield?

Why would he criticise his players in the media, you can be too honest sometimes.
He'll definitely tell them in the changing room but you wouldn't make it public.
I remember Darren Ferguson often did that when results went against us, deflecting any blame from himself.

Im not expecting a man hunt into every performance. And he has done this a couple of times already btw. It would be nice to hear him address why we concede so many goals. Lets face it.. every game is the same. You just know the opposition will score. We never ever look like we are solid and im sorry to say but he is happy to say we need a striker when we have 2 strikers there who consistently do their jobs but fails to comment on his leaky defence and lack of midfield protection.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on November 26, 2023, 04:17:19 pm by Chris Black come back »
We are not quite there yet, but it’s just shy of 90pc of games where we concede.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on November 26, 2023, 05:38:53 pm by The Beast »
We’re desperate for a big strong centre half and a strong mobile DM, I’m not right bothered about a striker but always need cover I suppose. Is there any news on GM?

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on November 26, 2023, 05:57:46 pm by StocksArmy »
We’re desperate for a big strong centre half and a strong mobile DM, I’m not right bothered about a striker but always need cover I suppose. Is there any news on GM?

As far as I am aware his knee just isn't right and he gets swelling on it after any sort of intense training. Unlees there has been an interview I have missed this was the last thing said on him a couple of weeks ago.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on November 26, 2023, 06:00:01 pm by DonnyOsmond »

3/5ths of our center halfs are big and strong.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on November 26, 2023, 07:07:48 pm by ncRover »

1 is injured (Faulkner) and the other 2 (Wood and Anderson) you can only play 1 at a time.

Olowu gets bullied.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on November 26, 2023, 07:11:24 pm by mushRTID »
I really wouldn’t describe Anderson as big and strong.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on November 26, 2023, 09:30:08 pm by The Beast »

It’s relative, not Sonny Bradley big and strong or Mathieu Smith big and strong!

:chair:

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on November 27, 2023, 12:25:42 pm by Goole Rover »
Jones was good today. He’s better than Lawlor and Mitchell.

hurrah
And the good thing is he’s young and will improve with experience.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on November 27, 2023, 10:02:28 pm by selby »
  We the supporters and the board are going to have to have patience we have a lot of mistakes to make good, and the last months of last season to make good on when we really were the pits and completely leaderless.
  Grant has done well picking us up from rock bottom, carrying on  the end of last seasons form would see us out of the league this season.
   A big shake out is still needed, some of the players thought to be good are not as good as their reputations the results the last two years, a long time in football backing up the conclusion, we cannot afford to become footballs equivalent to a rest home.
   We are not in the buy at any cost players, we need to seek out and find young ambitious fit young players not yet matured , I feel that process has started , not everyone we bring in will be a gem, but some brought in this season are showing improvement and the way forward in a short time which is credit to the management team.
  It will happen under Grant I am sure of, he will need the odd experienced player but he needs time to lift us off the floor as anyone would, there is no magic wand, but we have made a good start and that is what we have to remember it is just the start with a long way to go and the club is a we, supporters, staff and board together the only way forward is patience and let the people at the top get on with their job.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on November 28, 2023, 12:12:41 pm by Alan Southstand »
All well and good, Selby, IF GM is here for the longer term! I have no inside knowledge at all, in making that statement, and I sincerely hope he’s with us for a few more seasons, but, if he support from above falls away, I can see him scouring other opportunities.

We are no more than a mid-table side currently, even with GM’s major overhaul in the summer and it’s becoming increasingly obvious that more investment in the squad is still required. (GM has already alluded to that).

I hope he sticks around and finishes the job of getting us back to, at the very least, a top end L1 outfit.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on November 30, 2023, 05:33:05 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Further response from GM when asked about January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0gwwr7l

Sounds like they're on the ball and "ready to strike in the areas we need".

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on November 30, 2023, 07:01:41 pm by Lesonthewest »
All well and good, Selby, IF GM is here for the longer term! I have no inside knowledge at all, in making that statement, and I sincerely hope he’s with us for a few more seasons, but, if he support from above falls away, I can see him scouring other opportunities.

We are no more than a mid-table side currently, even with GM’s major overhaul in the summer and it’s becoming increasingly obvious that more investment in the squad is still required. (GM has already alluded to that).

I hope he sticks around and finishes the job of getting us back to, at the very least, a top end L1 outfit.

My thoughts entirely Alan, would like hope that the powers above can see what Grant is trying to, & I'm sure will achieve given the backing. Obviously the board has been great so far, but it's clear we are still way off where we want to be yet given the mess we were in, but it will take time, & more backing for an excellent manager & his staff.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on November 30, 2023, 07:18:32 pm by drfchound »
I reckon that Grant is still figuring out how to get the best out of what he has got.
We have to give him time to do that.
The good news is that generally, win or lose, we are much better to watch than we have been for the last two years and personally I am looking forward to, and enjoying, going to games again.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 07:48:49 pm by drfchound »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on November 30, 2023, 07:46:37 pm by selby »
  You have hit the nail on the head Hound, win or lose although winning is better it's enjoyable again, many talking points and visible progress by the club as a whole and most of the young playing staff.
   This season might be a bit soon, and our best chance might be a good cup run, although I think  our second half of the season could well be the best part.
   I can take that enjoy the rest of the season and look forward, it has been a long time since we could say that.
   One wish for Christmas if we are to have another striker on that list, young hungry and good, Josh Stones a fringe player at Wigan, although the train may have left the station on that one.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 07:51:51 pm by selby »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on December 15, 2023, 08:25:18 pm by Chris Black come back »
  You have hit the nail on the head Hound, win or lose although winning is better it's enjoyable again, many talking points and visible progress by the club as a whole and most of the young playing staff.
   This season might be a bit soon, and our best chance might be a good cup run, although I think  our second half of the season could well be the best part.
   I can take that enjoy the rest of the season and look forward, it has been a long time since we could say that.
   One wish for Christmas if we are to have another striker on that list, young hungry and good, Josh Stones a fringe player at Wigan, although the train may have left the station on that one.

Josh Stones has gone on youth loan to Oldham Athletic until January.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on December 15, 2023, 09:10:14 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Priority has to be midfield and a striker with the lates injury update. Centre half would be good too but we have a bit more depth there.

Can only see us getting a few young untested loanees in the window. We are a bit far off the playoffs so might struggle to justify spending bigger this window.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on December 16, 2023, 09:15:24 am by graingrover »
Who are the players out of contract next summer apart from , Biggins , Molyneux , Taylor …

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on December 16, 2023, 10:28:06 am by Chris Black come back »
Close, Westbrooke, Wood, Faulkner, Long, Maxwell, Rowe and Lavery.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on December 16, 2023, 10:29:26 am by ncRover »
Who are the players out of contract next summer apart from , Biggins , Molyneux , Taylor …

According to transfermarkt the full list:

Wood
Faulkner
Long
Maxwell
Biggins
Close
Westbrooke
Rowe
Molyneux
Lavery
Taylor
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 12:42:30 pm by ncRover »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on December 16, 2023, 10:48:56 am by Chris Black come back »
I think it’s still the case that in the absence of a contract offer players can from January sign pre-contracts with other clubs. I suspect we will see some of the above be offered terms next month. Others either have something lined up and will not sign, or can’t get anything better and will wait until June and see if we offer anything then.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on December 16, 2023, 10:55:47 am by Filo »

According to transfermarkt the full list:

Wood
Faulkner
Long
Maxwell
Biggins
Close
Westbrooke
Rowe
Molyneux
Lavery

Out of those I would let go