Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 05:37:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tory Britain  (Read 2891 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Tory Britain
« on February 09, 2024, 07:37:18 pm by wilts rover »
With the news today that Sunak payed a lower rate of tax on the £2.2 million he gained in wealth last year than a nurse would pay, is it surprising that Britain has:

the dirtiest rivers in Europe
the most expensive energy in Europe
the least reliable trains in Europe
the most overcrowded trains in Europe
the widest gap between rich and poor in Europe

and are these things related?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Tory Britain
« Reply #1 on February 09, 2024, 09:41:08 pm by drfchound »
How many NHS nurses pay 45% rate on income tax?
I haven’t heard anyone, or read anything, saying whether his profit from the Investment Fund was subject to CGT or Income Tax.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 09, 2024, 09:50:23 pm by Sprotyrover »
Wilts your havin a larf if you think we have the worst trains in Europe try Germany for a start!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 09, 2024, 09:53:39 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Wilts your havin a larf if you think we have the worst trains in Europe try Germany for a start!
I'd like to see evidence of all those claims, but then again it's probably just Wilts being............................................... Well, Wilts.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 09, 2024, 09:57:21 pm by drfchound »
8.30am train out of Berlin this morning:

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 09, 2024, 10:03:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »
One thing about Wilts, you can always get a bit of escapism from the real world with his outrageous takes on the truth.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 09, 2024, 10:06:13 pm by SydneyRover »
If you are challenging what wilts has written, the onus is on yourself to provide the evidence he is incorrect I would have thought.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 09, 2024, 10:13:28 pm by bpoolrover »
If you are challenging what wilts has written, the onus is on yourself to provide the evidence he is incorrect I would have thought.
wow if someone posts they are going for a shit you want proof, ive heard it all now lol

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 09, 2024, 10:15:00 pm by SydneyRover »
wow if someone posts they are going for a shit you want proof, ive heard it all now lol

I can always tell when you are having a shit bp

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 09, 2024, 10:16:10 pm by Bentley Bullet »

I can always tell when you are having a shit bp
At least his comes out at the right end.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 09, 2024, 10:16:56 pm by SydneyRover »
Glad to know you're watching bb

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 10, 2024, 04:33:16 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I haven’t heard anyone, or read anything, saying whether his profit from the Investment Fund was subject to CGT or Income Tax.
Sunak paid 23%
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/09/rishi-sunak-paid-effective-tax-rate-of-23-on-22m-income-last-year

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 10, 2024, 04:40:09 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Sunak's wife paid 0.27% on her £11.2 million. And you would vote for these shameless out of touch thieves - effectively gangsters.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/apr/07/rishi-sunaks-wife-says-its-not-relevant-to-say-where-she-pays-tax-overseas

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 10, 2024, 06:52:37 pm by drfchound »
Sunak paid 23%
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/09/rishi-sunak-paid-effective-tax-rate-of-23-on-22m-income-last-year

Yes I know.
The OP suggests he paid less tax than a nurse would pay.
I bet most of them only pay 20%.
As the next tax rate up is 45% I suggested that not many nurses pay that rate.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 10, 2024, 10:34:07 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Fair enough. Splitting hairs aside,  Sunak and his wife paying about 500k tax on £13.5 million income is THE national scandal of our time. "legal" is not the issue, obviously.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 10, 2024, 10:54:00 pm by drfchound »
They won’t be the only people who have got away with stuff like that though.
People have financial advisors and accountants to help them reduce their tax liabilities.
Because a Sunak is a Tory he will have opposition people scouring around for every bit of dirt they can find.
Other people will get off lightly as there is no political gain for calling them out.
Which tax did Sunak and his wife pay, was it CGT.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 11, 2024, 12:24:58 am by Bristol Red Rover »
Can't recall the taxes they paid. Partly is by paying it abroad at the cheapest poss rates, and all legal. But loop holes etc arent good. And he is PM,  that is the very very significant difference.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 11, 2024, 08:55:07 am by wilts rover »
Sunak paid 23%

Yes I know.

The OP didn't suggest anything. He wrote:
With the news today that Sunak payed a lower rate of tax on the £2.2 million he gained in wealth last year than a nurse would pay,

I would have thought that it was fairly clear the OP is discussing the 'news today that Sunak payed a lower rate of tax on the £2.2 million he gained in wealth last year' and just 'the news today that Sunak payed a lower rate of tax on the £2.2 million he gained in wealth last year'. Not sure how it could be any clearer - but some people like to be disingenous and diversionary to get away from the story and attack the poster. But here it is anyway:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/sunak-tax-return-earnings-us-2899859
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68253857

He didn't pay any income tax on this money - just capital gains tax. So it is surely a coinicidence that since he has been in government he has raised income tax and cut capital gains tax.

But you will just make something else up rather than quote me accurately and contribute to a discussion about the story.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 11, 2024, 09:39:21 am by Bentley Bullet »
Rishi Sunak paid 23% on £2.2m income last year, which amounted to £508,000.

Over a lifetime, an average household will pay £479,430 in income tax.

The 10% of income taxpayers with the largest incomes contribute over 60% of income tax.

Rishi Sunak paid more tax last year than an average earner pays in a lifetime.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 11, 2024, 09:47:17 am by wilts rover »
On tv this morning:

#TrevorPhillips: Rishi Sunak paid a headline rate of 23% on his £2.2m earnings... less proportionately than a nurse pays... the optics are awful?

Michael Gove: "People will make a judgment... we reduced national insurance.."

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1756602875625496577

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 11, 2024, 09:55:30 am by SydneyRover »

The 10% of income taxpayers with the largest incomes contribute over 60% of income tax.

Then this is good reason to increase the pay of those at the base so they contribute.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 11, 2024, 09:56:38 am by drfchound »
Sunak paid 23%

Yes I know.

The OP didn't suggest anything. He wrote:
With the news today that Sunak payed a lower rate of tax on the £2.2 million he gained in wealth last year than a nurse would pay,

I would have thought that it was fairly clear the OP is discussing the 'news today that Sunak payed a lower rate of tax on the £2.2 million he gained in wealth last year' and just 'the news today that Sunak payed a lower rate of tax on the £2.2 million he gained in wealth last year'. Not sure how it could be any clearer - but some people like to be disingenous and diversionary to get away from the story and attack the poster. But here it is anyway:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/sunak-tax-return-earnings-us-2899859
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68253857

He didn't pay any income tax on this money - just capital gains tax. So it is surely a coinicidence that since he has been in government he has raised income tax and cut capital gains tax.

But you will just make something else up rather than quote me accurately and contribute to a discussion about the story.

Wilts, it is clear what you wrote.
Let’s cut down that sentence.
“Sunak payed ( should be paid by the way) a lower rate of tax on the £2.2m than a nurse would pay.”
Given that he (apparently) paid 23% tax I think it is fair to say that most nurses would only pay tax at the 20% basic rate so in fact he paid tax a a higher rate than (most) nurses would pay.
I have made a fair and valid contribution to the story and you are simply annoyed that i pointed out that your OP wasn’t accurate.
You are now bringing the words “less proportionately” into the equation which is a totally different mindset.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 11, 2024, 10:07:29 am by SydneyRover »

Then this is good reason to increase the pay of those at the base so they contribute.

And those at the base pay around three times as much of their income in indirect taxes.

''Measured relative to household income, those with lower incomes pay more in indirect taxes (VAT, duties and so forth). Measured relative to household spending, there is little variation in indirect taxes across the income distribution''

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8513/

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 11, 2024, 10:11:37 am by drfchound »

And those at the base pay around three times as much of their income in indirect taxes.

''Measured relative to household income, those with lower incomes pay more in indirect taxes (VAT, duties and so forth). Measured relative to household spending, there is little variation in indirect taxes across the income distribution''

I would think that information would be commonly acknowledged by most people Sydney.
I’m not sure it is in any way surprising.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 11, 2024, 10:30:36 am by Bentley Bullet »

Indirect tax and its effect on the poor is just a fact of life in many countries, not just the UK. We are discussing income tax.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 11, 2024, 10:37:14 am by SydneyRover »
Ill pass your sentiments on to the hoi polloi

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 11, 2024, 11:42:02 am by SydneyRover »

Indirect tax and its effect on the poor is just a fact of life in many countries, not just the UK. We are discussing income tax.

Look again bb, the op put all sorts up for discussion, namely the tory party but trains, energy and the diff between rich and poor.

Which is where my comment fits in, it shows why those earning the most should pay the most personal tax to make up for the fact that those at the base pay more indirect tax and a lot shell out all their earnings eking out a living, evidenced by the uptick in food banks and their patrons.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 11, 2024, 11:47:39 am by drfchound »

Look again bb, the op put all sorts up for discussion, namely the tory party but trains, energy and the diff between rich and poor.

Which is where my comment fits in, it shows why those earning the most should pay the most personal tax to make up for the fact that those at the base pay more indirect tax and a lot shell out all their earnings eking out a living, evidenced by the uptick in food banks and their patrons.

Jeez. Those earning the most do pay the most personal tax.
What you really mean is that those earning the most should pay even more tax.
Remember the so called brain drain.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 11, 2024, 12:00:25 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
https://ifs.org.uk/taxlab/taxlab-taxes-explained/income-tax-explained#:~:text=The%20top%2010%25%20of%20taxpayers,10%20years%20of%20that%20period.

That link gives you loads of stats and debunks a lot of the myths some are staying here.

Interesting where I am at the minute the government pushes development in this area by offering huge tax breaks to get investment and it is working from them.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 11, 2024, 12:04:22 pm by SydneyRover »
https://ifs.org.uk/taxlab/taxlab-taxes-explained/income-tax-explained#:~:text=The%20top%2010%25%20of%20taxpayers,10%20years%20of%20that%20period.

That link gives you loads of stats and debunks a lot of the myths some are staying here.

Interesting where I am at the minute the government pushes development in this area by offering huge tax breaks to get investment and it is working from them.

But still promoting tax cuts instead of investing public money themselves?

Pud, which do you think would be best for the country, money invested for growth or tax cuts?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 12:11:50 pm by SydneyRover »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012