Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:56:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Cheswold  (Read 659 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
Re: Cheswold
« Reply #1 on March 18, 2024, 11:05:14 pm by Sprotyrover »
Rats are a problem all over, come out of the sewers and off the fields displaced by the heavy rains we have had!

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 19, 2024, 09:50:06 am by Dagenham Rover »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 19, 2024, 10:09:49 am by Pancho Regan »
Wow, how this place has fallen.

It was our 'go-to' pub for years prior to Rovers' games when Debbie and Andy had it. It was part of our regular match-day routine to have lunch there and it was excellent in terms of food quality, superb service and good value. The staff were brilliant.

After the managers left and moved to The Lakeside, we had several bad experiences at The Cheswold and we changed our routine and haven't been since.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 19, 2024, 05:23:07 pm by Iberian Red »

It was our 'go-to' pub for years prior to Rovers' games when Debbie and Andy had it. It was part of our regular match-day routine to have lunch there and it was excellent in terms of food quality, superb service and good value. The staff were brilliant.
Are they the couple that used to have the Rock many years ago?

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 19, 2024, 06:49:45 pm by DRFC_AjA »
Why anyone eats at these places that provide glorified microwave or oven food is beyond me. Its awful even with 5 star hygiene  :lol: may as well go McDs and get c*** food but way cheaper

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 19, 2024, 08:17:07 pm by Iberian Red »
Do Mcdonalds sell Guinness,or do you like the little kiddies packs they give away?

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 21, 2024, 05:02:37 pm by Pancho Regan »

Actually IR I think I got the fella's name wrong, I think it was Alan not Andy.
Husband and wife team, and brilliant workers. They built a great team at The Cheswold.

Don't know if they previously had the Rock.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 21, 2024, 05:48:53 pm by rich1471 »

Husband and wife team, and brilliant workers. They built a great team at The Cheswold.

If it's the same people I'm thinking of, did they not open it around 25 year ago and the had around 50 staff on the books back then ,don't think they have more than 20 now working their.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 21, 2024, 08:03:47 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I used to nip into Cheswold occasionally before games years ago. It was always bloody packed but served really nice food. Shame it’s gone wrong there.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 21, 2024, 09:32:49 pm by Iberian Red »

Thanks PR.
Thinking about it the couple that had the Rock in the 80/early 90s have probably retired now.
I think I got the names mixed up to.
The landlords of the Rock were always looked after regulars.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 21, 2024, 09:45:50 pm by Pancho Regan »
Why anyone eats at these places that provide glorified microwave or oven food is beyond me. Its awful even with 5 star hygiene  :lol: may as well go McDs and get c*** food but way cheaper

I disagree.

I don’t want to sound like a snobby t**t but I do know the difference between good food and crap food.

When I, my brother and my two daughters were regular visitors to The Cheswold between around 2013 and 2019, the food and the service were very good.
Simple ‘pub grub’ but good quality and great value.
And the service was exemplary.

It was a huge part of our match day experience and I miss it.

There are precious few pubs around our Stadium so it’s sad to hear of the issues The Cheswold is now experiencing.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 22, 2024, 07:43:16 am by idler »
I usually get to Donny and park up about 12:45ish so I can get a reasonably quick getaway for my hour drive home. I used to love the walk around the lake and a couple of pints of Doom Bar or Black Sheep. We occasionally ate there or the grandkids got snacks.
Recently it has been pre match in the Belle Vue bar. The club’s making a few extra quid but I do miss my walk to the Cheswold and back and especially the hand pulled beer.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 22, 2024, 10:04:39 am by Reg of the Rovers »
Pop to the Chessy early and late season on nice days and sit outside with a beverage.

I still miss the Park Hotel, always a bit of atmosphere, lunch time game on, grub seemed decent.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 23, 2024, 11:00:17 pm by roversdude »
Pete always spoke about putting a shuttle bus on from The Park Hotel gutted it’s gone too Reg

TinyPortal © 2005-2012