Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:32:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Five players you forgot we OWNED  (Read 2380 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Five players you forgot we OWNED
« on January 08, 2012, 12:10:30 am by Chris Black come back »
On our books, permanent contracts, being paid a wage by Rovers:

James Baxendale
Chris Brown
Tommy Spurr
Oscar Radford
Rachid Bouhenna

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Five players you forgot we OWNED
« Reply #1 on January 08, 2012, 12:11:09 am by dickos1 »
And?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 08, 2012, 12:11:57 am by Chris Black come back »
How big is our squad these days!

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 08, 2012, 12:12:40 am by Dare to dream! »
was happy to see Brown back at the start of the season but i think he will leave unless he is injured? I would have Tommy Spurr over Illunga anyday

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 08, 2012, 12:13:06 am by dickos1 »
Quote from: \"Chris_Black_come_back\" post=209697
On our books, permanent contracts, being paid a wage by Rovers:

James Baxendale.
Chris Brown
Tommy Spurr
Oscar Radford
Rachid Bouhenna

On loan
Injured
Injured
On loan
Injured

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 08, 2012, 12:14:41 am by donnyroversfc »
Do we still have Keegan under contract? I also doubt we'll ever see Bouhenna play for us.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 08, 2012, 12:16:09 am by Chris Black come back »
Quote from: \"Dare to dream!\" post=209701
was happy to see Brown back at the start of the season but i think he will leave unless he is injured? I would have Tommy Spurr over Illunga anyday

Agree on Spurr. He is a solid, steady left back. Also thought the little we have seen of Baxendale was very positive. Brown was classic SOD signing, bought with Stock-style perennial career threatening injury.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 08, 2012, 12:20:39 am by vaya »
Keegan got a year's contract in summer, so he's six months left.

I assume Chambers is still on the books as well.

MartinB

« Reply #8 on January 08, 2012, 01:12:02 am by MartinB »
How Keegan & Chambers got long contracts is bewildering! & yet we let that young Josh Payne lad go to oxford last season despite a very promising start to his career.

Tazemma

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 08, 2012, 06:51:23 am by Tazemma »
This is why we are in trouble. The old regime signed too many average players to compete at this level.  The 7 players mentioned above should not be at the club, throw Gary Woods, Richard Naylor (now departed) and dean shiels into the same category that is a third of our squad.

We also have Shelton Martis and chimbonda who have season ticket to the treatment room. Tommy spurr, John Oster, Adam Lockwood, George Friend, Billy Sharp and Martin woods have unfortunately suffered long term injuries this season and people question where we are in the league. A club of our size cannot compensate for this.

The club is basically paying 18 players who for 1 reason or another have not been available for selection and people question why Saunders has gone down the route he has. If you take an average wage of £3500 per week for each player mentioned in this thread this amounts to over £250,000 a month in wages, £3 million per season.

All the people on this thread go on about SO'D and he should still be at the club, remember he told JR the best he could achieve this season was relegation. Dean Saunders is trying to overhaul a squad which for various reasons is not good enough. It is not easy to move players on who are injury prone or on good contracts to free up finances to buy new players, All this while trying to remain competitive and win games?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 08, 2012, 07:01:00 am by Wellred »
Quote from: \"Tazemma\" post=209757
This is why we are in trouble. The old regime signed too many average players to compete at this level.  The 7 players mentioned above should not be at the club, throw Gary Woods, Richard Naylor (now departed) and dean shiels into the same category that is a third of our squad.

We also have Shelton Martis and chimbonda who have season ticket to the treatment room. Tommy spurr, John Oster, Adam Lockwood, George Friend, Billy Sharp and Martin woods have unfortunately suffered long term injuries this season and people question where we are in the league. A club of our size cannot compensate for this.

The club is basically paying 18 players who for 1 reason or another have not been available for selection and people question why Saunders has gone down the route he has. If you take an average wage of £3500 per week for each player mentioned in this thread this amounts to over £250,000 a month in wages, £3 million per season.

All the people on this thread go on about SO'D and he should still be at the club, remember he told JR the best he could achieve this season was relegation. Dean Saunders is trying to overhaul a squad which for various reasons is not good enough. It is not easy to move players on who are injury prone or on good contracts to free up finances to buy new players, All this while trying to remain competitive and win games?

A sensible post at last. A shame however many of our blinkered supporters won't comprehend it.

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 08, 2012, 08:33:51 am by PaulRover08 »
I've just signed up at Nuffield gym and this is where all the Rovers currently injured players train to maintain fitness when not training with the squad. In the last 2 weeks I have seen Martis, Spurr, Keegan, Chambers, Wilson and Brown there. They are all currently injured. Can only see Martis and Spurr staying here past January 31st.

As a side note, Martis is miles quicker in the pool than he is on the pitch. Maybe a place in the Dutch Olympic swimming team beckons.

Tazemma

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 08, 2012, 08:49:21 am by Tazemma »
Maybe Martis is the famous swimmer Eric the eel who swam a few years back!

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 08, 2012, 10:02:31 am by 1879Rovers »
Do we still own Chris Black ;)

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 08, 2012, 11:59:31 am by Spud »
We certainly need to clear out some dead wood. You only have to look at the back of yesterdays programme it`s embarassing. The size of our squad compared to County`s and we`re the ones struggling to put a team out.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 08, 2012, 12:24:07 pm by Alickismyhero »
Taz,
I think you do Sean a great injustice when you say he signed too many average players. Sean I think is very knowledgeable about players and what he can get out of them. Just ask yourself why did he not sign proven players with PL credentials? Do you think it might have some thing to do with the budget he had?

Sean was stuck with the problem football has in general in that clubs spend more than they take in and that's why he had to take risks in taking players from lower division teams and who were sat on the bench.

Having said that in defence of Sean just listen to Deano, he's started to say the reason for poor performances, injuries, players going back to their club, unsettled side ect Have you heard it all before? If its not good enough for the old regime its not good enough for the new one.

A word of warning Deano.....panick when the Chairman says your job is safe.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 08, 2012, 12:24:22 pm by eastender »
Quote from: \"Spud\" post=209849
We certainly need to clear out some dead wood. You only have to look at the back of yesterdays programme it`s embarassing. The size of our squad compared to County`s and we`re the ones struggling to put a team out.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but County were without three first choice centre halves yesterday in Sodje , Hollis and Pearce .

Not that it made any difference ,  we could have played til midnight and still not make Nelson mucky his knees.

Tazemma

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 08, 2012, 01:04:56 pm by Tazemma »
Alick,

I appreciate all Sean did for this club and he did a fantastic job but key decisions he made were wrong. To hand contracts to James Chambers & Paul Keegan when injured made a small budget even smaller. This then affected are capabilities in the transfer market and in time affected results.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 08, 2012, 01:38:45 pm by Alickismyhero »
Taz,
name me a manager who never made a mistake? Medicine is an inexact science and I feel that Sean would have taken advice before offering contracts to injured players.

Sean made mistakes and we can see them in hindsight but invariably it was down to a very low budget or the lack of one which meant acquiring players that he had to work on.

Remember when we bought Billy, JR said Sean has the biggest budget one of our managers has ever had and it won't be reduce now we have Billy? Tell me how much Sean had to spend after that statement, \"Not a lot\"

This period in footballs history I see  as the big correction in finances and some clubs will go to the wall. I just hope we have it right and we survive, only time will tell.

Come what may I will always be a Rovers supporter and will follow Sean and Richard's careers with great interest.

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 08, 2012, 04:48:26 pm by Harrogate Rover »
Tommy Spurr was out on the pitch yesterday, warming up. Hopefully a sign that he's not to far away from a return.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 08, 2012, 05:04:04 pm by Wellred »
Are you sure it wasn't the young lad from Rangers?

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 08, 2012, 06:00:40 pm by Harrogate Rover »
Preety sure it was Tommy

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #22 on January 08, 2012, 07:02:29 pm by Rovin Reporter »
quote=\"Tazemma\" post=209757]
All the people on this thread go on about SO'D and he should still be at the club, remember he told JR the best he could achieve this season was relegation.

Where did that gem of come foresight come from? no doubt another  myths that seem to pass for facts on this Forum i assume!
Wake up and smell the coffee we are being asset stripped ready for the big drop .
I hope this will show in the price of the season tickets next season. as the literature falling through the letter box very soon, :headbang:

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 08, 2012, 07:09:31 pm by dickos1 »
John Ryan said it, you know the owner the guy who single handeldy saved our club

TinyPortal © 2005-2012