Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 08:27:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A great win today  (Read 2386 times)

Branton Red

• Forum Member
A great win today
« on August 20, 2022, 09:22:02 pm by Branton Red »
Given the quality of the opponents who were superb in the first 30 minutes, cutting Rovers open regularly and scoring a very good goal.

Also given the in-game injuries and constant need to change formations and play people out of position.

The way the team and individuals adapted to both get on top of a very good and confident team after their bright start and to the disruption caused by the injuries was hugely impressive.

I thought Rovers controlled the game both in and out of possession in the last 60 minutes (yes we could have kept the ball better) and once we took the lead never looked like relinquishing it (them hitting the post was out of the blue). Mitchell didn't have a serious save to make in the last hour of play.

Hurst obviously the star with his goals but Faulkner also took the eye - looks like some prospect.

Not a classic performance or particularly great watch given all the stoppages but taking everything into account a great victory nonetheless.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: A great win today
« Reply #1 on August 20, 2022, 09:30:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We weren't at the races for the first 20 mins, but credit to GMS. He had us press harder after that in the first half and it transformed the game. Their passing fell apart when we got tight on them and we fully deserved to go in level. That wasn't something I expected to say after 20 mins.

Second half, it was inevitable that we'd be on the back foot given the loss of 4 defenders. But we mostly kept them away from the danger area and Williams and Mitchell were excellent when they lumped crosses in.

On which subject, how the hell did that lump of a No. 17 get away with that assault on Mitchell without a card? His challenge was so late it was almost part of their next attack.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 20, 2022, 09:33:27 pm by drfchound »
Number 17 was Matt Smith, the same Matt Smith who almost always scored against us when he played for dirty Leeds.
That foul on Mitchell was a deliberate attempt to hit him full on as he came to collect the ball.
Yellow card all day long.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 20, 2022, 09:35:15 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We weren't at the races for the first 20 mins, but credit to GMS. He had us press harder after that in the first half and it transformed the game. Their passing fell apart when we got tight on them and we fully deserved to go in level. That wasn't something I expected to say after 20 mins.

Second half, it was inevitable that we'd be on the back foot given the loss of 4 defenders. But we mostly kept them away from the danger area and Williams and Mitchell were excellent when they lumped crosses in.

On which subject, how the hell did that lump of a No. 17 get away with that assault on Mitchell without a card? His challenge was so late it was almost part of their next attack.

Said exactly the same. It was assault by Smith but thank goodness he was that slow 

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 20, 2022, 09:37:14 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
How is he in L2 now and not even starting? Sure he was getting games in the Championship only a year or two ago. Normally he is good at what he does and you know what your getting.

Type of player Andrews should look to model himself on because he's all about his strength and size

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 20, 2022, 09:39:06 pm by Spud »

That was Matt Smith, right?
Thought he was a split second or so late but nevertheless perhaps pre-empted.
Didn't think Joni was getting up from that tbh, warrior.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 20, 2022, 09:46:04 pm by River Don »
Win at home, draw away. Title form...

Alright, only five games in.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 20, 2022, 09:46:54 pm by idler »
He had the ball in both hands when Smith deliberately went in.
A definite yellow with competent officials running the game.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 20, 2022, 09:55:34 pm by colincramb »
We were excellent after the first 20 mins, when I feared the worst to be fair. RSW and Clayton were outstanding and great for hurst to get his first senior goals (definitely didn’t mean the 1st but who cares!?)

Very good win. If we can back it up next week with a result we might be on to something. A note on the Salford fans… 88. Surely the worst turnout by any team at the KMS/Eco Power since it opened. They don't deserve to go any higher

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 20, 2022, 10:04:50 pm by Spud »
We were excellent after the first 20 mins, when I feared the worst to be fair. RSW and Clayton were outstanding and great for hurst to get his first senior goals (definitely didn’t mean the 1st but who cares!?)

Very good win. If we can back it up next week with a result we might be on to something. A note on the Salford fans… 88. Surely the worst turnout by any team at the KMS/Eco Power since it opened. They don't deserve to go any higher

I heard a few around me doubting Hurst's intentions for the first, harsh imo.
On the fans thing, I don't understand how fewer fans means those few don't deserve success, that stuff belongs on fb groups tbh.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 20, 2022, 10:06:26 pm by idler »
I thought that he picked his spot for the first but could be wrong.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 20, 2022, 10:11:57 pm by drfchound »
Speaking of attendance figures, on Tuesday we had around 4800 home fans and that rose to around 6000 today.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 20, 2022, 10:13:23 pm by Campsall rover »

They had more than 88 fans. But yes not very good for a team only 60 odd miles away and top of the league.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 20, 2022, 10:14:45 pm by Chris Black come back »
No way there were 6057 in the ground today. At most Salford brought about 150.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 20, 2022, 10:17:23 pm by Donnywolf »
I thought that he picked his spot for the first but could be wrong.

I think the giveaway was the "dink" he gave the ball

As people say in these situations only the Player will know but for me he dinked it in top corner superbly

.... and Smith is still a dirty b*****d

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 20, 2022, 10:29:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

The South Stand looked nearly full and East stand was better populated today. Far fewer empty seats around us in the West too. The quid a kid appeared to work.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 20, 2022, 11:43:59 pm by rich1471 »
Salford  away fans 240 still poor following

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 21, 2022, 12:08:26 am by Avsuptem »
Tomlin's pass for our 2nd goal was absolutely sublime.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 21, 2022, 12:18:03 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Tomlin's pass for our 2nd goal was absolutely sublime.

Really was. As was Hurst's run..

Best Tomlin moment for me though was that Sunday League pace run through their midfield on about 88 minutes, where he just invited their lad to take him out, and their lad took the bait. Proper mester play.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 21, 2022, 05:26:52 am by roversdude »
Brilliant result today sounds like we played well again, hopefully the injuries are not too serious

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 21, 2022, 07:36:50 am by Donnywolf »
We did imo. Hardly had any possession for first 20 minutes then we got going as they appeared to wane a bit.

Injuries didn't help but overall camaraderie of the Team was great to see after last Season. We look a well capable group which with further improvement (which I think looks to be there) we will at least as fans enjoy watching this Team.

Actually going to games looking forward to seeing such a performance is massively better than what we "endured" last Season

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 21, 2022, 09:52:24 am by adamtherover »

on the class of 92, there's some old timers at salford who were saying they didn't like the newcomers watching the game due to Beckham etc, they were happy with the small support as they knew everyone etc lol,.  That's a nice sentiment, but get to league one knocking on the door of the championship and a minute support won't do you any favours.

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 21, 2022, 01:18:58 pm by rover-n-out »
Superb win today against a technically very good side.

It  must give the lads great confidence to look at the table and say "We're only 2 points off the top spot" what more incentive could they ask for to keep putting in performances like today.
So much better than being in Rochdale's position and thinking, "Oh god, 5 games in and we haven't even got a point on the board yet" as we saw last season, that must be so disheartening for a player! Well done guys, keep your ambition's on the top spot, and your determination on the pitch the same, and you'll do alright!!

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 21, 2022, 02:10:34 pm by danumdon »
It was a well managed game from us with a growing determination and desire to not be denied. After their quick start  where it looked like we were chasing shadows around the pitch we buckled down and got a toe hold into the game, Their goal looked like it could be offside to me, a tight one but with the calibre of officials on display they were never going to get most things right.

Big praise to our central midfield who managed to run their blood to water to gain parity and then get on top of theirs, some very hard yards put in by Clayton and Boggins which was good to see, ably assisted by Tomlin after the disruption changes caused by all the defensive injuries. I wasn't aware that Maxwell had been taken off for tactical reasons, imagining he had also picked up a knock, but switching Rowe to left back to counter their very good, winger was great management and game reading which goes down as a massive plus to GM and SE.

The fact we maintained and even built our hold on the match goes down to some very resolute defending by Williams who was very good and Faulkner who manned up superbly and looked born to the manor, great future for this kid, i hope a good portion of it is with us. Biggins and Rowe pressed into emergency full backs let no one down in a very controlled and determined defence.

That our midfield would end up being Hurst, Clayton, Tomlin and Molyneux was a real odds breaker but they manned up well and held together to prevent Salford from getting too many balls through to cause any issues. Massive shift put in by Clayton and Tomlin who demonstrated all their experience, guile and determination to see us through, Tomlin now has plenty in the bank already that has wiped his slate clean and with interest, keep him fit and motivated and he will be massive for us.

Lastly a big well done to Miller who kept going to the end and ran himself to a stand with very little support.Thought Agard played well as he had enough about him(or coach instruction) to drop back and assist the midfield which i thought he did very well.

Seems like talk of stats will be quite this week as this bunch of players are all singing off the same hymn sheet and the overall responsibility to the team cause looks massive. very good progress being achieved. If we are very lucky we may not suffer too much from player disruption with the injured players, lets hope so.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 21, 2022, 03:53:32 pm by RugbyRover »
It was a well managed game from us with a growing determination and desire to not be denied. After their quick start  where it looked like we were chasing shadows around the pitch we buckled down and got a toe hold into the game, Their goal looked like it could be offside to me, a tight one but with the calibre of officials on display they were never going to get most things right.

Big praise to our central midfield who managed to run their blood to water to gain parity and then get on top of theirs, some very hard yards put in by Clayton and Boggins which was good to see, ably assisted by Tomlin after the disruption changes caused by all the defensive injuries. I wasn't aware that Maxwell had been taken off for tactical reasons, imagining he had also picked up a knock, but switching Rowe to left back to counter their very good, winger was great management and game reading which goes down as a massive plus to GM and SE.

The fact we maintained and even built our hold on the match goes down to some very resolute defending by Williams who was very good and Faulkner who manned up superbly and looked born to the manor, great future for this kid, i hope a good portion of it is with us. Biggins and Rowe pressed into emergency full backs let no one down in a very controlled and determined defence.

That our midfield would end up being Hurst, Clayton, Tomlin and Molyneux was a real odds breaker but they manned up well and held together to prevent Salford from getting too many balls through to cause any issues. Massive shift put in by Clayton and Tomlin who demonstrated all their experience, guile and determination to see us through, Tomlin now has plenty in the bank already that has wiped his slate clean and with interest, keep him fit and motivated and he will be massive for us.

Lastly a big well done to Miller who kept going to the end and ran himself to a stand with very little support.Thought Agard played well as he had enough about him(or coach instruction) to drop back and assist the midfield which i thought he did very well.

Seems like talk of stats will be quite this week as this bunch of players are all singing off the same hymn sheet and the overall responsibility to the team cause looks massive. very good progress being achieved. If we are very lucky we may not suffer too much from player disruption with the injured players, lets hope so.

good write up that, better than most getting paid to do it could do.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 21, 2022, 06:35:01 pm by Padge_DRFC »
A good result v Northampton there's no reason we can't get 7k home fans in v Mansfield. 2 days after pay day and local ish rival.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 21, 2022, 10:06:58 pm by adamtherover »
A good result v Northampton there's no reason we can't get 7k home fans in v Mansfield. 2 days after pay day and local ish rival.
won't they bring a load as well, could be close to a 10k gate?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 21, 2022, 10:21:18 pm by drfchound »

I reckon they will sell out the away end so 3000 plus Mansfield fans in the ground.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 21, 2022, 10:46:41 pm by Campsall rover »

I reckon they will sell out the away end so 3000 plus Mansfield fans in the ground.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012