Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:35:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Club Captain?  (Read 2805 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Club Captain?
« on May 14, 2011, 01:19:43 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I know Stock is our captain but with the amount of time he spends out injured in a season and with him due to be out till atleast Christmas this coming season, why don't we have a new club captain? It can't be any good having the captain position getting passed around match after match, so why don't we give it to someone less injury prone, such as JOC or Hayter?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Club Captain?
« Reply #1 on May 14, 2011, 01:20:52 pm by RedJ »
I'd say either Jimmy or Hayter too.

fudgepacker

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 14, 2011, 01:46:02 pm by fudgepacker »
Or Simon Gillet. Hopefully his injuries last season were a one off. He's the sort of \"heart on your sleeve, 100% footballer\" that would make a good captain in my opinion.

stockyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 14, 2011, 02:00:10 pm by stockyboy »
I'd have JOC for me too, Mr. Reliable, always talks, shows passion and is a pure pro. But I would also have Copps in mind for it.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 14, 2011, 02:53:04 pm by Wellred »
Based on his recent performances JOC would struggle to be in the starting 11 next season.

pkt_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 14, 2011, 02:55:27 pm by pkt_drfc »
Quote from: \"stockyboy\" post=156620
I'd have JOC for me too, Mr. Reliable, always talks, shows passion and is a pure pro. But I would also have Copps in mind for it.

I would agree with Copps aswell. :thumbsup:

ljm-drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 14, 2011, 02:59:00 pm by ljm-drfc »
SOD usually picks M Woods or Locky for captain when Stocky is out. Anyone know if Woods will be back for start of next season?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 14, 2011, 03:10:30 pm by RedJ »
Lockwood is the club Vice Captain currently, so that's why he does that. No idea when Woods is back.

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 14, 2011, 03:21:28 pm by jmt »
Shackell  :headbang:

redrover19

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 14, 2011, 04:27:37 pm by redrover19 »
Billy?
wears his heart on his sleeve and lifts the team, exactly what a captain should do

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 14, 2011, 04:51:18 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Friend for captain, the campaign begins here.  Though Stock and Lockwood are still find choices.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 14, 2011, 05:56:37 pm by JonWallsend »
Quote from: \"ljm-drfc\" post=156629
SOD usually picks M Woods or Locky for captain when Stocky is out. Anyone know if Woods will be back for start of next season?

Back for a full pre-season training and well up for it. Disappointed with the way the season panned out for both the team and himself and determined it will be better next time round. I happened to bump into him after the Boro game.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 15, 2011, 07:26:50 am by CusworthRovers »
Quote from: \"DonnyOsmond\" post=156613
I know Stock is our captain but with the amount of time he spends out injured in a season and with him due to be out till atleast Christmas this coming season, why don't we have a new club captain? It can't be any good having the captain position getting passed around match after match, so why don't we give it to someone less injury prone, such as JOC or Hayter?

Good call re the Captain issue and worthy of being looked at. It's the last bit I'm not sure about.

I've read numerous things on here in the last few days about these 'mystery players who are under-performing and been here too long', and who are they.

It's purely opinion here, I may be way off the mark also and I may be a lone rider in this one. IMO I feel JOC and Hayter could well be those said players. Wilson is an obvious target, having also played the Boro game. However I don't feel Sean is the type of guy to make a decision on 1 game. I think he's based it over the last few months. In that time, JOC has greatly under-performed IMO. Hayts is a tireless runner, but his runs were done to effect play and maybe lead to goals. I think this had dropped in the last few months and had no effect on the game. Just tireless running with little outcome.

I know this is unthinkable to some, but I'll stand by these thoughts. I will also suggest
Muzzy is more than capable of being our first choice RB now, and gives us so much more. You then read Sean's comments about Mason and building a team around him. I don't think he's a replacement for Copps' role, but more for what Hayts can do and give the team. I also feel Sean is looking at changing Rovers and the way we play (again there are little hints in there from his comments). Hayts has always been Sean boy and central to what he has wanted over the years. I feel this may be coming to an end.

Agreed there are sound cases for others, but something is telling me it may be these 2. Now for 1 minute I'm not saying they should go or that I don't rate them. However, there may be better that we have already got, or getting......we have to improve and keep moving forward.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 15, 2011, 08:01:34 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Quote from: \"CusworthRovers\" post=156706

Good call re the Captain issue and worthy of being looked at. It's the last bit I'm not sure about.

I've read numerous things on here in the last few days about these 'mystery players who are under-performing and been here too long', and who are they.

It's purely opinion here, I may be way off the mark also and I may be a lone rider in this one. IMO I feel JOC and Hayter could well be those said players. Wilson is an obvious target, having also played the Boro game. However I don't feel Sean is the type of guy to make a decision on 1 game. I think he's based it over the last few months. In that time, JOC has greatly under-performed IMO. Hayts is a tireless runner, but his runs were done to effect play and maybe lead to goals. I think this had dropped in the last few months and had no effect on the game. Just tireless running with little outcome.

I know this is unthinkable to some, but I'll stand by these thoughts. I will also suggest
Muzzy is more than capable of being our first choice RB now, and gives us so much more. You then read Sean's comments about Mason and building a team around him. I don't think he's a replacement for Copps' role, but more for what Hayts can do and give the team. I also feel Sean is looking at changing Rovers and the way we play (again there are little hints in there from his comments). Hayts has always been Sean boy and central to what he has wanted over the years. I feel this may be coming to an end.

Agreed there are sound cases for others, but something is telling me it may be these 2. Now for 1 minute I'm not saying they should go or that I don't rate them. However, there may be better that we have already got, or getting......we have to improve and keep moving forward.

In his interview after the Middlesborough match, O'Driscoll didn't say anything about ability or form. He specifically questioned the attitutude of player(s) who thought that we could go out and take the game to opponents, rather than knuckle down to a game plan. He said that the said player(s) might still have the ability, but didn't have the attitude.

I might be totally wrong but to me, it stands out a mile who he was most likely to be talking about.

Rover By The Tyne

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 15, 2011, 09:19:14 am by Rover By The Tyne »
Id go with Billy as well. He's got the characteristics of a captain, shows passion evey game and tells people when they are not pulling their weight. I know he's a striker but Tevez does it at city, Bellamy at Cardiff and I'm sure Rooney has took the armband for utd at times.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 15, 2011, 08:38:45 pm by ravenrover »
Quote from: \"BillyStubbsTears\" post=156709

In his interview after the Middlesborough match, O'Driscoll didn't say anything about ability or form. He specifically questioned the attitutude of player(s) who thought that we could go out and take the game to opponents, rather than knuckle down to a game plan. He said that the said player(s) might still have the ability, but didn't have the attitude.

I might be totally wrong but to me, it stands out a mile who he was most likely to be talking about.

Cmon BST you've said this several times, it's time you named names on this one.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 15, 2011, 08:49:35 pm by benaldo »

I thought O'Connor was injured periodically through the season? Perhaps that and the fact he had to play in every single position in defence this season, and in a defence which was totally rubbish, meant that anyone would look crap in that season? He isn't a brilliant player compared to other defenders in the league, but he's pretty good comparing him with the current Rovers squad isn't he?

I just can't believe that players who are paid the money that lot are can't be bothered. It just doesn't bear thinking about. What kind of moron takes home their kind of wages and then can't be arsed to put the work in?? I have my suspicions that the comment was aimed at a few of them. If that's the case, then they can pack their bags for me and find some other team to freeload with.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 15, 2011, 11:18:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Quote from: \"ravenrover\" post=156767

'kin 'ell, could I BE more specific?

Let's look at the clues. Going on O'Driscoll's outburst, the player(s):

1)Played against Middlesborough
2)Presumably is an outfield player.
3)Has been with us for more than a few weeks.
4)Is clearly very able.
5)Perhaps is somewhat maverick in style, apparently believing that (to quote O'Driscoll) we/he are/is good enough to roll into places like Hull or Middlesborough and take the game to them.

Surely you don't need Hercule Poirot...

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 16, 2011, 10:14:43 am by ravenrover »
Quote from: \"BillyStubbsTears\" post=156799

4)Is clearly very able.
5)Perhaps is somewhat maverick in style, apparently believing that (to quote O'Driscoll) we/he are/is good enough to roll into places like Hull or Middlesborough and take the game to them.

Looks like I for one do.
In previous posts you've dismissed the most obvious suspects ie Oster.
Most other players have been mentioned but the only one who hasn't might be Killgallon???
My brain hurts :side: :pinch:

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 16, 2011, 10:28:51 am by Dutch Uncle »
Hercule Poirot was Belgian....................B)

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 16, 2011, 11:12:22 am by jonnydog »
His Tache wasn't... that was made in China!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 16, 2011, 11:38:38 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Quote from: \"ravenrover\" post=156824

4)Is clearly very able.

Looks like I for one do.
Most other players have been mentioned but the only one who hasn't might be Killgallon???

I didn't dismiss anyone as far as I remember. I think what I said previously was that I hadn't mentioned any names and that what I thought about players was irrelevant anyway. I'm simply reporting O'Driscoll's comments and drawing my own conclusions.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 16, 2011, 11:59:22 am by DearneValleyRover »
Quote from: \"BillyStubbsTears\" post=156832
Quote from: \"ravenrover\" post=156824

4)Is clearly very able.

Looks like I for one do.

I didn't dismiss anyone as far as I remember. I think what I said previously was that I hadn't mentioned any names and that what I thought about players was irrelevant anyway. I'm simply reporting O'Driscoll's comments and drawing my own conclusions.

You just can't PLANT things in people's head BST mi old FLOWER :whistle:

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 16, 2011, 02:28:36 pm by Viking Don »
I did wonder at the time if he meant Copps with the 'been here too long' thing. Can't be him though as he didn't play at boro (did he?). So by a process of elimination, although he's only had 2 seasons here it has to be JO.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 16, 2011, 03:40:45 pm by RedJ »
No, Copps didn't play at Boro, and can't see much wrong with his attitude (don't know about behind closed doors obviously)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012