Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:48:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Harper and Hume  (Read 2807 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Harper and Hume
« on September 23, 2012, 09:46:00 am by The Red Baron »
Let's hope these guys get up to full match fitness soon, because I think they can make a big difference for us. Harper had time on the ball and was always looking for an opening. Hume did what no-one else managed, which was to play off Brown. Those two have played together before, of course (at Preston) so could be a decent pairing.

Also once Hume is up to speed we will be able to play Bennett or Cotterill, not both. They are both luxury players and when we have both in the side, our work-rate suffers.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
Re: Harper and Hume
« Reply #1 on September 23, 2012, 09:57:59 am by Lesonthewest »
They must start in my opinion, Keegan not up to this level, & we should play with 2 up front at home with Hume playing off Brown, & Bennett on the bench. We need to take the game to our opponents at home, this league looks poor.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 23, 2012, 10:07:59 am by The Red Baron »
Keegan's OK in a game like the one last Tuesday where we're going to have to absorb a lot of pressure. But he simply isn't creative enough in a situation where we need to take the game to the opposition.

This League IS poor- the standard of most of the football yesterday was very bad indeed. At least the last 10 minutes- after we scored and raised the tempo- was quite exciting to watch, but I was bored for much of the game.

lee.j09

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 23, 2012, 10:10:46 am by lee.j09 »
keegan just about good enough for confrence level!  :headbang:

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 23, 2012, 12:18:42 pm by Spud »
Got to agree re Hume and Harper.
Must say i can't remember League One being this poor last time round.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 23, 2012, 01:45:24 pm by BigH »
The way it's shaping up, L1 is indeed looking like a poor quality division. Tranmere leading the way and banging goals in left, right and centre. Come on.

Then again, thank heavens it is like it is because with the squad we've got we need a break. Keegan is a squad player, the guy you put on with 20 minutes to go when you're looking to hold on to a result. We do need a playmaker who can pick out passes from the middle of the park, knit it together and dictate the tempo a little. Doesn't everyone? Come back John Doolan all's forgiven.

I can see us adding someone with these qualities in the January window, dependent on the Coppinger situation of course. Could we have Andy Reid in return?

Until then it'll all be about picking up points.

Sticky-Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 23, 2012, 01:55:02 pm by Sticky-Rover »
Why are people having ago at Keegan when a few weeks ago he was receiving praise? He did nothing wrong yesterday. Breaking up the play and playing it safe.

In my eyes its M.Woods who should be getting the stick, he did sod all and made everyone around him look bad.

Hume over Bennett any time, but then again, where does Paynter play when he comes back?

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 23, 2012, 02:24:16 pm by BigH »
Don't even go there about Martin Woods. He's played so little in the last couple of years and is so off the pace that I wonder whether he's still got it in him. It's sad because in his first full season with us I thought he was a hell of a player. Can't help but feel that because he's one of the big earners, the club probably feel honour bound to try and get some value out of him. The rose tinted specs must surely come off soon.

Sticky-Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 23, 2012, 02:32:49 pm by Sticky-Rover »
Don't even go there about Martin Woods. He's played so little in the last couple of years and is so off the pace that I wonder whether he's still got it in him. It's sad because in his first full season with us I thought he was a hell of a player. Can't help but feel that because he's one of the big earners, the club probably feel honour bound to try and get some value out of him. The rose tinted specs must surely come off soon.

I still think he's a good player, class is permanent and all that, but its just he has been too ineffective.

Its a bit like the Bennett situation, but Woods has proven he's quality before and I'm expecting more from him.

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 23, 2012, 02:50:45 pm by nortikorner »
if thats the case with martin woods loan him out because we can afford to kept a player who is learning the game again ,but a  i think that it is the case he is  a bit fightend of getting injured again

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 23, 2012, 03:29:29 pm by Draytonian III »
Hopefully both will start on Wednesday at Norwich,Harper seems to have time on the ball and can see a pass,Hume has plenty of energy and effort 

BillieJA

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 23, 2012, 03:32:13 pm by BillieJA »
I don't know why everyone has a go at Bennett, when Woods is arguably playing worse, and is a more experienced player.

Bennett's size was a factor why he played poorly yesterday. A small player playing against a big team makes it hard for him to get involved in the game, whereas Martin Woods had enough height and strength to make an impression, but didn't. I just don't get why Martin Woods is so untouchable to some fans on here.

Rant over.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 23, 2012, 03:41:41 pm by Filo »
I don't know why everyone has a go at Bennett, when Woods is arguably playing worse, and is a more experienced player.

Bennett's size was a factor why he played poorly yesterday. A small player playing against a big team makes it hard for him to get involved in the game, whereas Martin Woods had enough height and strength to make an impression, but didn't. I just don't get why Martin Woods is so untouchable to some fans on here.

Rant over.

The difference is Woods when playing poorly will still look for the ball and show for it at throw in`s, Woods at least try`s to get involved, where as Bennett looks to hide does n`t show for it and generally does sod all but wander about, he`ll never make a Premier League player, that I`m convinced of, when the going gets tough Bennett does n`t want to know, as demonstrated in the last two league games

BillieJA

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 23, 2012, 03:56:05 pm by BillieJA »

Rant over.

The difference is Woods when playing poorly will still look for the ball and show for it at throw in`s, Woods at least try`s to get involved, where as Bennett looks to hide does n`t show for it and generally does sod all but wander about, he`ll never make a Premier League player, that I`m convinced of, when the going gets tough Bennett does n`t want to know, as demonstrated in the last two league games

He's also a lot younger, and has the ability to learn. There's nothing to Martin Woods at all in my opinion, I'd rather have Mark Wilson back.

Sticky-Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 23, 2012, 04:01:29 pm by Sticky-Rover »
It says a lot that a left back that played 30-ish minutes yesterday made more of an impact on the wing than Bennett has for several games.

In my eyes at least 

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 23, 2012, 04:36:59 pm by MachoMadness »
Harper has to start for me. We look a much better team whenever he's on the park, he just seems to bring balance and control to the team and brings everyone else into play. Deano acknowledged it in his post-match interview yesterday so you'd hope he'll be in the first XI soon.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 23, 2012, 06:20:09 pm by DRFCSouth »
Unfortunately, I saw more of Harper at Reading and there was a reason he was a regular there. He was very much box to box for them, constantly harassing the opposition and quality when on the ball. Can't see why he isnt a first choice, possibly because he is still trying to reach peak fitness. Avery shrewd signing in my book. Brendan Rodgers let him go when at Reading which was a mistake at the time. He seems to have lost his way a little since. Hopefully, he will be back to his best soon.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 23, 2012, 06:32:58 pm by DonnyNoel »
Got to agree with the majority on this thread - getting Harper and Hume fit and integrated is a priority as they both have the ability to unlock organised defences and have done so at a higher level than this. Very surprised about the mediocre teams at this level and think if we can start hitting teams from the first whistle then top 6 is more than realistic (barring injuries to a squad I still consider 2 bodies light).

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 23, 2012, 06:44:09 pm by DRFCSouth »
I'm hoping we see some of the Hume that was at Barnsley. Remember him smashing some long ranges during his time there.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 23, 2012, 07:00:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I don't like singling out players for criticism but Woods is still living off his Keepmoat wonder goal, the one he got for Rotherham!

He reminds me so much of Sean Thornton, in that he seems to be shirking responsibility and just tries to make easy passes to the player who is nearest to him.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 23, 2012, 07:06:53 pm by DRFCSouth »
I don't like singling out players for criticism but Woods is still living off his Keepmoat wonder goal, the one he got for Rotherham!

He reminds me so much of Sean Thornton, in that he seems to be shirking responsibility and just tries to make easy passes to the player who is nearest to him.

I'm kind of hoping he turns it round again. I thought for a period of time he was quite effective in the championship. And his missus is the type of WAG we need on the terraces!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012