Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:57:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brighton moneybags  (Read 2810 times)

albie

• Forum Member
Brighton moneybags
« on February 05, 2014, 06:16:09 pm by albie »
Just published their accounts, and the cost of missing out in the play-offs may be coming back to haunt them;
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26055733

Looks like their benefactor has been dipping deep to bankroll it all, where they are with the financial rules is up for grabs.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
Re: Brighton moneybags
« Reply #1 on February 05, 2014, 06:42:48 pm by hoolahoop »
I think you can forget the FFP, it seems that very few are adhering to the rules or circumventing them.....it's a disgrace.
Surprises me that BHA are acting this way that's a huge loss by any standards . Seems they are the Citeh of the Football League now.

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 05, 2014, 07:54:13 pm by BrightonEye »
Don't forget that the FFP sanctions only begin with accounts for the current year, ie 2013-14. The Brighton accounts and losses just announced are for 2012-13.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 05, 2014, 08:23:15 pm by Muttley »
From the Brighton Argus

Mr Barber told The Argus that reducing the clubs losses to £8m by the end of this season was “tough” but added he was “confident” they would achieve it.

Yeah, right...

DubaiRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 05, 2014, 08:35:15 pm by DubaiRover »
It shows that the pissy amount sequentia were proposing wouldnt last long if we wanted to play with the big boys.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 05, 2014, 11:05:48 pm by IDM »
I think you can forget the FFP, it seems that very few are adhering to the rules or circumventing them.....it's a disgrace.
Surprises me that BHA are acting this way that's a huge loss by any standards . Seems they are the Citeh of the Football League now.

FFP applies from 2013/14 - I am sure the Brighton stats were from a previous year?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 05, 2014, 11:14:54 pm by BobG »
And Brighton have the biggest average crowd in the division this year too. I think they had the second biggest last year. Whatever, they get a bloody shedload more gate money than we will ever do!

BobG

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 05, 2014, 11:16:11 pm by silent majority »
It shows that the pissy amount sequentia were proposing wouldnt last long if we wanted to play with the big boys.

What amount was that by the way? Apparently it was  on a sliding scale, starting at £40m and ending at jack shit!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 05, 2014, 11:20:41 pm by BobG »
Have they finally buggered off yet Martin do you know? Indeed, did they ever actually buy a single hand? You know, when some of the folding stuff actually transfers out of their pocket into someone elses' in return for a share in the beloved DRFC (or Patienceform)? Or were those 'purchases' all just paper talk?

BobG

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 06, 2014, 12:32:57 am by albie »
The accounts refer to 12/13, so IDM is right, but it just shows the extent to which they need to pull back.

The worst thing is that while turnover has only risen by £1.2m, footballing expenses have gone up by £6.1m in a single year, and they were pretty generous the year before.

Pushed the boat out to get promoted, but missed out, and now facing cutbacks as well as reliance on Mr Moneybags. It is what unsustainable looks like, in the raw.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 06, 2014, 01:30:37 am by silent majority »
Have they finally buggered off yet Martin do you know? Indeed, did they ever actually buy a single hand? You know, when some of the folding stuff actually transfers out of their pocket into someone elses' in return for a share in the beloved DRFC (or Patienceform)? Or were those 'purchases' all just paper talk?

BobG

No I don't think so Bob, too busy spending money on solicitors fees to have gone altogether, we got a fresh threat only last week.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 09:22:49 am by silent majority »

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 06, 2014, 07:45:18 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
They are also building a new training ground which is costing a shedload.  The figures they have produced includes the cost of the training ground I think

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 06, 2014, 08:28:11 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It certainly makes the point that DRFC under the so called takeover would still struggle to get close to these clubs who are spending much more than us, we'd have barely broken top 15 spending wise under it, let alone nailed on Premier league push - crazy that some don't get that.  All for a gamble?

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 06, 2014, 12:06:07 pm by Colin C No.3 »

BobG

No I don't think so Bob, too busy spending money on solicitors fees to have gone altogether, we got a fresh threat only last week.

I'd be interested to see that threat.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 06, 2014, 01:47:37 pm by IDM »
I would think that the VSC would have been advised not to go public with the content of such letters?

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 06, 2014, 02:03:56 pm by BrightonEye »
They are also building a new training ground which is costing a shedload.  The figures they have produced includes the cost of the training ground I think
Brighton's new training ground at Lancing, costing around £30 million, counts as capital investment and is therefore outside the FFP framework. In any case, building only started last autumn, so related cash flows will only begin to appear in the 2013-14 accounts.

Financial Fair Play is a totally excellent idea. It remains to be seen over the coming months how it operates in practice – particularly in respect of penalties for gross current account overspending by certain clubs.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 06, 2014, 08:16:59 pm by silent majority »

BobG

I'd be interested to see that threat.

Why would you?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012