Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:30:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Copps interview  (Read 2818 times)

CottyRover

• VSC Member
New Copps interview
« on October 03, 2019, 05:55:23 pm by CottyRover »
Very interesting new interview on I-Follow. It's 20 minutes so I'm not going to try to summarise. It echoes things on the recent Sky interview. He genuinely seems to be enjoying life with DM as manager and he's not ruling out a further season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
Re: New Copps interview
« Reply #1 on October 03, 2019, 06:02:10 pm by i_ateallthepies »
He gave fulsome praise of Ferguson when he was the manager.  Not saying that Copps doesn't mean what he has said about Darren Moore (I haven't heard the interview) but you hardly expect a player who has aspirations of continuing to be picked, to give a negative response when asked about his manager.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 03, 2019, 06:05:08 pm by drfchound »
A really enjoyable interview to listen to.
He gives a good insight into how things are for him at the club.

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 03, 2019, 06:15:01 pm by CottyRover »
Can't recall exactly what he said about the Peterborough manager but I do get the feeling that the relationship soured somewhat over time. Pies is right, he's scarcely likely to come out and slate the manager of the day, which is why I said 'genuinely '. There are ways and ways of talking about your manager. To me he's not paying lip service. As Hound says, some interesting insights into  how the club is being run.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 03, 2019, 06:42:05 pm by karldew »
Not many good things to say about McSnake either

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 03, 2019, 07:32:29 pm by drfcsteve »
He'd better do an autobiography, be an absolutely fascinating insight in to the last 15 or so years at the club.

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 03, 2019, 08:17:59 pm by CottyRover »
He'd better do an autobiography, be an absolutely fascinating insight in to the last 15 or so years at the club.

Agreed. Perhaps he will if he ever hangs up his boots!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 03, 2019, 08:42:38 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm sure he'd dearly love to call it a day after guiding us to promotion to the Championship and what a stage it would be if it's in our sights come April/May.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 03, 2019, 08:49:04 pm by mushRTID »
I’m sure playing into his 40s will be his next goal.
At the minute you’d see him comfortably doing that.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 03, 2019, 08:57:20 pm by drfchound »
I put a post on the Sadlier thread about Copps playing for us in his forties and it could well be that he will be the only outfield player to have done it, should he get there of course.

JR was in his fifties of course when he made his one appearance.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 03, 2019, 09:17:16 pm by silent majority »
I put a post on the Sadlier thread about Copps playing for us in his forties and it could well be that he will be the only outfield player to have done it, should he get there of course.

JR wasn't a footballer though, and I don't think he touched the ball, so although the record books may have his name in them they don't mean anything.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 03, 2019, 09:31:39 pm by drfchound »

JR wasn't a footballer though, and I don't think he touched the ball, so although the record books may have his name in them they don't mean anything.

I agree that he wasn’t a footballer and didn’t touch the ball but to be fair he did make an appearance in the first team and is on record as having done so.
It meant a lot to JR and to many supporters too.

Plenty of players get on the pitch in dying moments of a game and don’t touch the ball but the appearance is included in their record.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 03, 2019, 09:50:03 pm by Drover »

I agree that he wasn’t a footballer and didn’t touch the ball but to be fair he did make an appearance in the first team and is on record as having done so.
It meant a lot to JR and to many supporters too.

Plenty of players get on the pitch in dying moments of a game and don’t touch the ball but the appearance is included in their record.

Agreed hound,SM try telling the players who have come on in the dying moments of an FA cup final or World cup final that it did'nt mean anything! I think its more likely,they don't mean anything to you,but it's does to others.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 04, 2019, 01:24:57 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Ryan making a playing appearance is one of the most cringingly embarrassing things I've ever seen as a Donny fan.

And I saw Mirsad Bubalovic's debut.

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 04, 2019, 02:00:33 am by acacia94 »
Ha! It wasn't just that Bubalovic had run out on Belle Vue turf that night it was Dave Parkers classic assertion on the tannoy that young Mirsad was the best player that had ever worn a Rovers shirt. What a tit.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 04, 2019, 08:24:26 am by drfchound »
There were plenty of Rovers fans who were happy to see JR make that appearance.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 04, 2019, 08:38:21 am by redarmy82 »
JRs appearance was fantastic.
Some people can't resist a chance to slate the man.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 04, 2019, 08:56:27 am by RoversAlias »
I've never had a problem with it and at the time, as a youngster, I thought it was cool that he did that.

In hindsight, and if it was any other team and their 50-odd year old chairman, I think we'd all be saying it was a bit cringeworthy so I know where BST is coming from. Ultimately though, it was a harmless bit of publicity and he made sure he only came on at the very end of a game we were comfortably winning so it made no difference to the integrity of the game or season.

Also, Mr. Bubalovic is now dead isn't he?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 04, 2019, 09:57:09 am by silent majority »
JRs appearance was fantastic.
Some people can't resist a chance to slate the man.

Ha ha, get real. Fantastic? It was just embarrassing.

It was also just an observation about the record books, nothing to do with him as an individual.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:00:14 am by silent majority »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 04, 2019, 10:07:29 am by RoversAlias »
Back to the topic at hand, interesting to note in this interview with Copps him saying Moore gives him the odd day off to manage his fitness whereas McCann never did. Probably a big reason why Copps is now playing longer in games and getting about more, instead of having to be substituted after 60-70 minutes often leading to us losing our grip on games.

And in fact later in the interview (I'm still watching it) Copps says he never felt physically like he needed to come off after 60-70 minutes and that was down to McCann's choice. Just sounds like a real lack of willingness to understand Coppinger from McCann, just taking it as fact that a 38 year old needed to come off when he didn't. Copps even said he knew McCann didn't think he would be as fit as he is.

I think it's quite insightful to the difference in approach and understanding between Moore and McCann.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:18:18 am by RoversAlias »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 04, 2019, 12:47:56 pm by pib »

I wonder if Riccardo Calder's appearances will be wiped out of the record books for the same reasons.  ;)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 04, 2019, 02:15:31 pm by Chris Black come back »
Ryan making a playing appearance is one of the most cringingly embarrassing things I've ever seen as a Donny fan.

That was the essence of the man though. He was / is one of us - which of us if we had the money but not the ability would not give anything to play for Rovers in a professional game?

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 04, 2019, 02:20:30 pm by Colin C No.3 »

That was the essence of the man though. He was / is one of us - which of us if we had the money but not the ability would not give anything to play for Rovers in a professional game?
Silent Majority obviously.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 04, 2019, 02:25:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I thought it was an embarrassing but of self-indulgence to be honest. And quite disrespectful to the game in general and the opponents in particular.

You earn the right to play in a match through your ability, not through your bank balance.

It's a sacred thing.

Admittedly, tarnished by the likes of Peter Heritage and John McGinley and such like, but you get the gist.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:27:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 04, 2019, 03:34:14 pm by drfchound »
Good grief, considering all that had gone before and the fact that that the Rovers might not have existed it is a bit harsh not to allow JR a bit of self indulgence.

Many supporters were delighted that he got onto the pitch.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 04, 2019, 05:37:44 pm by Alickismyhero »
Back to Copps,

I was talking to an ex Luton Town goalkeeper today about his last game against Donny at the Moat.

He was exceptional in his praise of Copps. He said that Luton's pre-match input from their manager was all about Copps and how they should deal with him because he is Donny's key player, no surprise there!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012