Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:14:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Talent from lower leagues.  (Read 2819 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Talent from lower leagues.
« on February 05, 2023, 07:25:43 pm by normal rules »

That Josh Umerah that came on for Pool late on in the game looks like a savvy acquisition for them.

The Forward joined on a two-year deal from Wealdstone FC for an undisclosed fee.

A product of the Charlton Athletic academy, Umerah enjoyed loan spells at Kilmarnock, Wycombe, and Boreham Wood before joining Ebbsfleet on a permanent deal in 2019.

After a short spell at Torquay, the forward joined Wealdstone in 2021 and scored 17 goals in all competitions last season.

Scored 10 for pool so far this season.
People think dipping into non league is a non option for clubs like rovers. I fail to see why. This player being an example in case.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Talent from lower leagues.
« Reply #1 on February 05, 2023, 07:43:22 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
*Ahem* Lavery

Pside

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 05, 2023, 07:48:48 pm by Pside »

That Josh Umerah that came on for Pool late on in the game looks like a savvy acquisition for them.

The Forward joined on a two-year deal from Wealdstone FC for an undisclosed fee.

A product of the Charlton Athletic academy, Umerah enjoyed loan spells at Kilmarnock, Wycombe, and Boreham Wood before joining Ebbsfleet on a permanent deal in 2019.

After a short spell at Torquay, the forward joined Wealdstone in 2021 and scored 17 goals in all competitions last season.

People think dipping into non league is a non option for clubs like rovers. I fail to see why. This player being an example in case.

I’ve been of this frame of mind for a few years now. I have no idea why we are not doing this. This is the way to be sustainable. It only takes getting lucky once and you can sell for a lot of money. What did Alfie may cost us? £20 and a bag of balls? Don’t get me wrong they won’t all work but I’d rather us try this way than what we are doing now.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 05, 2023, 08:54:42 pm by tyke1962 »

I’ve been of this frame of mind for a few years now. I have no idea why we are not doing this. This is the way to be sustainable. It only takes getting lucky once and you can sell for a lot of money. What did Alfie may cost us? £20 and a bag of balls? Don’t get me wrong they won’t all work but I’d rather us try this way than what we are doing now.

10 current members of the Stevenage squad cut their teeth at non league level .

Some below the National League , in fact quite a few .

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 05, 2023, 09:50:42 pm by Lesonthewest »

Yep, they also have a manager who can motivate.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 06, 2023, 05:14:51 am by elmsallrover »
Plus to get these players you have to pay a fee where a young lad on loan you just have to give him a first team place

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 06, 2023, 03:08:53 pm by Bessie Red »

He ripped our back 4 a new one up at there place and couldn't believe it when he wasn't starting on Sat. Also that Mo Sylla was MoM against us at theirs and he didn't start either.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 06, 2023, 03:11:45 pm by Bessie Red »

Said this on another thread yesterday, although I don't like the man, Evans would get us out of this division because he knows what's needed at this level.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 06, 2023, 08:52:00 pm by normal rules »
*Ahem* Lavery

I’m happy to revisit this if and when he has scored double digit goals

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 06, 2023, 10:31:18 pm by Spilsby Red »
If we sign lots of these like players, a lot would say cheap option

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 07, 2023, 07:21:10 am by GazLaz »
We signed Molyneux who was perceived to be a great player in L2. I knew he was average, said it at the time, and he has proved to be average. I’ll say it again, we have no structure in place to identify players and we don’t have a process to consistently choose between an average one and a good one.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 07, 2023, 07:38:51 am by Chris Black come back »
I’d take average players now, not going to lie.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 07, 2023, 07:52:17 am by BigKeif »
We signed Molyneux who was perceived to be a great player in L2. I knew he was average, said it at the time, and he has proved to be average. I’ll say it again, we have no structure in place to identify players and we don’t have a process to consistently choose between an average one and a good one.

From what I’m lead to believe in what you do for work, I really wish Copps would reach out to you to use your expertise in this area.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 07, 2023, 07:57:18 am by GazLaz »

From what I’m lead to believe in what you do for work, I really wish Copps would reach out to you to use your expertise in this area.

Already spoke to him. Lovely guy.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 07, 2023, 07:58:49 am by jmt23 »
I am sure this is what we are/were looking at. We are also looking at young prospects, and balancing this out with experienced pros.

Knoyle was a league below “ team of the year” he didn’t do it for us!

Molyneux was a teams best player - I think he may eventually come good, but not so far.

Lavery, I think he looks to be a better striker than miller, his movement and touch is better at least!

I think a balanced approach is better than just going for the lower league talent, they should be sprinkled in. Too many, and if they don’t work, we are all of a sudden a very weak team.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 07, 2023, 08:04:08 am by BigKeif »

Already spoke to him. Lovely guy.

Hopefully something will come from it in the future.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 07, 2023, 08:06:27 am by ncRover »
I think it was telling that no Barnsley, Bradford or Walsall fans rated Miller. Fair play GazLaz, you stuck to your guns on that even when Miller was scoring a lot.

I would bet that 90% of Vanarama CBs are better than Williams in the air.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 08:18:04 am by ncRover »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 07, 2023, 08:21:19 am by Sammy Chung was King »
We need a mix of young hungry players from non league, who have something to prove and experienced been there and done it players.
For any signing to be any good, the manager has to know how to get the best from him.

Our manager doesn’t seem to want experienced players, maybe he feels he can handle the younger players better. That they are more likely to be open to how he wants to play?
Confidence is low at the minute, beat Tranmere and that confidence starts to return.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 07, 2023, 08:39:21 am by GazLaz »
There are so many hidden biases and traps when it comes to identifying which players are good and which ones aren’t. People (however experienced in football) often see what they want to believe.

A fairly simple principle to stick to is looking at what attributes teams from the level/ two levels above look for and try and find players that tick maybe one of those boxes and try and develop other areas. The easiest one of those to identify for a starting point is probably physicality and athleticism. How many fit, strong athletic players that will run all day do we tend to sign. Not many.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 07, 2023, 08:50:19 am by ncRover »
There are so many hidden biases and traps when it comes to identifying which players are good and which ones aren’t. People (however experienced in football) often see what they want to believe.

A fairly simple principle to stick to is looking at what attributes teams from the level/ two levels above look for and try and find players that tick maybe one of those boxes and try and develop other areas. The easiest one of those to identify for a starting point is probably physicality and athleticism. How many fit, strong athletic players that will run all day do we tend to sign. Not many.

The trap in the case of George Miller being that his career was very similar to Marquis’ before we signed him? Rather than looking at his attributes and how they would fit in to a team, there was a bias to wishfully think he will be just like Marquis was. Apart from work rate, I don’t see anything of note to be honest.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 07, 2023, 09:21:10 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Miller is a good player, he’s in a bad run with goals. He’s been our best signing overall since the summer. He’s being castigated by some fans when the service he has had has been ridiculously poor. Give him the ball in the right areas and he will score goals again. He has a good attitude, he works hard. If the rest of the side worked like him we would be ok.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 07, 2023, 09:36:46 am by GazLaz »

The trap in the case of George Miller being that his career was very similar to Marquis’ before we signed him? Rather than looking at his attributes and how they would fit in to a team, there was a bias to wishfully think he will be just like Marquis was. Apart from work rate, I don’t see anything of note to be honest.

They wanted a striker that likes to run in behind and that is his game to be fair. I’ve just never thought his all round game was very good. His style of play is a bit outdated in the modern day. It all goes back to what I said before about what teams at a higher level look for. Do they look for players that play in the way Miller does? I don’t think they do.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 13, 2023, 09:52:46 pm by ncRover »

mattco

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 13, 2023, 10:33:02 pm by mattco »
Darren Ferguson brought Alfie May from non-league.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 14, 2023, 09:14:45 am by Campsall rover »

I think players only listen to Evans for so long.
Once they start getting verbal abuse from him the motivational bit goes out the window.

He has a limited life span at any one club because of the way he manages. It’s only ever short term success.

I would never want to see him any where near being considered as our Manager.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 14, 2023, 09:29:50 am by Bentley Bullet »

The team around Marquis created loads of chances for him to score.

The team around Miller create very few chances for him to score.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 14, 2023, 05:36:14 pm by Lesonthewest »

Once they start getting verbal abuse from him the motivational bit goes out the window.

He has a limited life span at any one club because of the way he manages. It’s only ever short term success.

Disagree, any other time I would say no, the state we are in at the minute I would definitely say yes. If motivation lasts for a few seasons to get us back up & consolidate on a budget then it's a no brainer. He had back to back promotions with Rotherham, & then kept them up in the first season in the Championship. That's more than enough motivation for me, even if it's a temporary fix, it would move us forward in my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 05:39:30 pm by Lesonthewest »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 14, 2023, 06:04:17 pm by selby »
  And when he left Les the club would be in deep doo doo, he should not be allowed anywhere near a football club.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 14, 2023, 06:09:41 pm by scawsby steve »

FFS, Camps, do you want us stuck in this sh*tshow forever?

DS will never have the success as a lower league manager that Fatty Evans has had.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 14, 2023, 06:42:55 pm by Lesonthewest »
  And when he left Les the club would be in deep doo doo, he should not be allowed anywhere near a football club.

Respect your opinion Selby, but it could be argued he didn't really leave Rotherham in it, & also argued that we already are.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012