Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:22:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Great goal or sh**e goalkeeping? Discuss  (Read 3442 times)

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
Great goal or sh**e goalkeeping? Discuss
« on November 14, 2012, 09:45:30 pm by Donnyjim »
I thought he could have done better for the free kick as well? Another overrated England player.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Re: Great goal or sh**e goalkeeping? Discuss
« Reply #1 on November 14, 2012, 09:47:02 pm by mushRTID »
One bad game.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 14, 2012, 09:49:53 pm by Filo »
I agree, he should have got something on that free kick, and I don`t think he should have come out to head the ball, the defenders had it covered, but, you just can`t take anything away from Ibrahimovic, the technique required to execute that was awesome, putting mistakes aside, sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say that was class

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 14, 2012, 09:50:09 pm by Donnyjim »
One bad game.

Wasn't he flapping in no mans land in Norway. On Sunday I could have thrown the cat on that Caulker header?

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 14, 2012, 09:51:58 pm by colincramb »
The finish was absolute quality. Have to say I thought we played well up until the changes. Controlled the game and looked lively.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 14, 2012, 10:06:43 pm by GazLaz »
Players have dips in form. People far too quick to judge in this country.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 14, 2012, 10:08:15 pm by MachoMadness »
Have you seen some of Hart's performances this season? He's single handedly kept them in Europe til this point for one thing. He should've done better on their 2nd and 3rd goals but come on, 999,999 times out of a million that header away, while a bit feeble, would've been perfectly adequate. He had one bad game, still one of the best in the world IMO.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 14, 2012, 10:13:19 pm by The Red Baron »
The 4th goal came about because we were chasing the game. If we weren't, Hart would have never ventured out of his box.

His big error was on the free kick and he made exactly the same error that Gary Woods did on Saturday- his weight was distributed in the wrong direction.

Although Ibrahimovic's finishes were world class, Sweden are a one-man team and England should not have lost that game. Still, I'd rather see Hodgson's "record" go in a friendly.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 15, 2012, 07:21:21 am by drfcsteve »
I thought he could have done better for the free kick as well? Another overrated England player.

One of the best keepers in the world at the minute and you call him overrated.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 15, 2012, 08:53:43 am by bobjimwilly »
The 4th goal came about because we were chasing the game. If we weren't, Hart would have never ventured out of his box.

His big error was on the free kick and he made exactly the same error that Gary Woods did on Saturday- his weight was distributed in the wrong direction.

Although Ibrahimovic's finishes were world class, Sweden are a one-man team and England should not have lost that game. Still, I'd rather see Hodgson's "record" go in a friendly.

+1

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 15, 2012, 11:04:51 am by FuzzyDuck »
Hart has been ropey of late but is by far the best English goalie at the moment.  The press and fans should leave him alone to make sure they don't add to any loss of confidence he my be suffering.

For Ibrahimovic's 4th goal Hert made a mistake but with a lesser striker, would have got away with it.  It took outstanding awareness, quick-thinking and skill to take advantage

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 15, 2012, 05:53:37 pm by glosterred »
Both for me - great goal, but it came about because of a poor header from Hart, he did not need to be there as Ibrahimovic had a defender with him, once he did come, he should have made sure that he got plenty of distance on the header. But it was still a great goal.

COYR

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 15, 2012, 06:04:02 pm by Chris »
Jesus. Joe Hart is the best English goalkeeper for a very, very long time. Admittedly he has had a poor start to the season by his standards but we cannot be jumping on his back so soon. Unless, of course, you want to put Jack Butland in the squad (until he has a poor game).

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 17, 2012, 01:42:41 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Do you know what the problems are with Joe Hart at the moment,he's playing in front of two defences that have made changes to their back line,so he has been called on more than usual,i also think the lack of competition hasn't done him any good either,he's started believing everything the papers have been writing about him,the praise has gone to his head,and a touch of arrogance has crept into his game,he's got the ability,but he doesn't watch it,he will become one of the new club of underachievers,that was started by ''The Golden Generation'',i hope he doesn't go down that road,because technically he's the best since Shilton.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 17, 2012, 12:22:30 pm by southwestexile »
have a look at other great goals;

Carlos Alberto 1970 - nearing the end of the game with Italy trailing 3-1, exhausted after a long game, longer tournament, game over - would it have been scored at the start?

Maradonna 1986 - waltzed by x number of England midfielders and defenders (why didn't they just put him on his arse? they couldn't get close enough to him) and finished with aplomb

mistakes are made, but often as a result of the match circumstances and great skill from the attacking player/team

Jo Hart is as dependable keeper as you could find anywhere in the world, the free kick was hit with fierce power, he might have been a bit slow to react but most of us would never have seen it, the 30 yard bicycle kick was an audacious effort which he may not have tried in the first 5 mins or with a different scorline, nevertheless, he did it, it went in, made me swear outloud

for all those who only saw a frail defensive effort I pity you, go and fill up your glasses

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 17, 2012, 12:39:43 pm by IDM »
To answer the question, neither.

Ibrahimovic used an audacious and great technique to get his shot on target, but to be a great goal it would have then needed to beat the goalie if he was on his line.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 17, 2012, 03:04:34 pm by southwestexile »

Ibrahimovic used an audacious and great technique to get his shot on target, but to be a great goal it would have then needed to beat the goalie if he was on his line.

surely then to be a great goal he would have also needed to get past a man on each post, have dribbled past 15 players, scored into a subbuteo sized net, all on a pitch 4 ft deep in mud with swarms of killer bees attacking him?????????

whisky

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 17, 2012, 09:45:37 pm by whisky »
Hart has been ropey of late but is by far the best English goalie at the moment.  The press and fans should leave him alone to make sure they don't add to any loss of confidence he my be suffering.

For Ibrahimovic's 4th goal Hert made a mistake but with a lesser striker, would have got away with it.  It took outstanding awareness, quick-thinking and skill to take advantage

Agreed. I do think that Hart didn't have full confidence in his defence and some of his decisions on rushing out showed this.
Hart is quality and is used to playing behind a much better back 4.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 17, 2012, 11:56:45 pm by IDM »

surely then to be a great goal he would have also needed to get past a man on each post, have dribbled past 15 players, scored into a subbuteo sized net, all on a pitch 4 ft deep in mud with swarms of killer bees attacking him?????????

That's not quite what I meant.. It was an excellent piece of individual skill to get that shot on target, but there were no defenders in the way of the shot.  It was a great opportunistic goal, but not necessarily one of the all time greats as has been made out.  Just my opinion of course.

Elliot Ward for us at Hillsboro' a few years back was a spectacular overhead kick albeit much closer to goal.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 18, 2012, 08:30:09 pm by southwestexile »
but we're talking international football here, even when Dennis Wise scored with his hand against Egypt it had to be recognised that opportunities are fewer at that level

Had it been Messi or Beckham, there'd be no-one asking questions

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 19, 2012, 10:24:01 am by Donnywolf »
No doubt a tremendous and audacious piece of skill helped by the fact that JH had committed himself like that

So great "strike" for me to take advantage of the chance presented to him

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 19, 2012, 12:39:35 pm by MachoMadness »
Well obviously every goal is objective, some might say a 100-pass move finished by a tap-in was the greatest goal of all time. However I do think this goal will always be up there in pub talk about the greatest goal of all time. In terms of individual technique, athleticism and skill I personally haven't seen a better goal, he made it look easy.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012