Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:53:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: great expectations ?  (Read 2953 times)

sha66y

• Forum Member
great expectations ?
« on January 07, 2014, 03:40:42 pm by sha66y »
Been living and working in Saudi for last 11 months and will probably be there for the foreseeable future....However!

i cant beleive the level of expectation i have been reading since that  "end of season" result , which flattered us and created this forseeable problem we have now!

did anyone actually think that we had the squad, finances, and SUPPORT to manitain anything other than a token appearance in this division? i was never under any illusion that going up to the championship will only look good in the "Donny Rovers almanacs" that will be read in the future.......... we do not like this division, we are not wanted in this division, and we certainly can not compete at this level...

a great 3rd tier team is what we must strive to be, more wins, less losses , and a lot less "Blame" aimed at those that are not equipped to perform the miracles a lot on here desire..........

if you look at the "banter" on here from last season compared to this season,....... people change!!!! ........ but not necessarily for the better :)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
Re: great expectations ?
« Reply #1 on January 07, 2014, 04:11:21 pm by Alickismyhero »
Been living and working in Saudi for last 11 months and will probably be there for the foreseeable future....However!

i cant beleive the level of expectation i have been reading since that  "end of season" result , which flattered us and created this forseeable problem we have now!

did anyone actually think that we had the squad, finances, and SUPPORT to manitain anything other than a token appearance in this division? i was never under any illusion that going up to the championship will only look good in the "Donny Rovers almanacs" that will be read in the future.......... we do not like this division, we are not wanted in this division, and we certainly can not compete at this level...

a great 3rd tier team is what we must strive to be, more wins, less losses , and a lot less "Blame" aimed at those that are not equipped to perform the miracles a lot on here desire..........

if you look at the "banter" on here from last season compared to this season,....... people change!!!! ........ but not necessarily for the better :)

S,

I don't go along with everything you say but I do agree with most of what you say. As a club of supporters we are each others throats and of course when we are winning games that changes.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:15:44 pm by Alickismyhero »

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 07, 2014, 04:14:37 pm by philsky »

I understand and recognise some of the suggestions here.

The promotion was brilliant but unexpected to me, and moreso when Saunders moved on. I did wonder about our ability to survive in The Championship; given that it seemed a very strong division with so many 'big' clubs in there too.

A shallow squad was always going to be an issue when injuries and suspensions struck and we just dont have the resources for the size of squad we'd really need.

I reckon we're doing pretty well all things considered and as soon as the injured are back who knows.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 07, 2014, 04:35:40 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
That's a slightly negative post sha66y, though I agree with most of what you say.

On average over the years we are a poor League 1 team, the recent improvement in our fortunes should have us as a good League 1 side. A good League 1 side will get promotion eventually and it's up to us to enjoy and appreciate the Championship times whether we are battling for survival or cruising.

There is a division amongst fans who think we can be a good championship team and push for the prem, and those who see our drama a league lower than that. Excessive expectations, delusions, negativity, realism, fantasy... who knows. Enjoy!  :scarf: :thumbsup: :scarf:

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 07, 2014, 04:50:53 pm by roversontheup »
I am finding this quite a refreshing thread.  I openly admit I agree with the OP. IMHO Expectations have become totally unrealistic.  That is not me having a lack of ambition for Rovers. It's me have what I believe is a more realistic and achievable ambition.

Sadly this thread, if like nearly every other at the moment will be hijacked by a barrage of infighting.  Sorry boys but is testosterone on offer at Asda at the moment? There seems to be an awful lot of it around here!   :chair:

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 07, 2014, 05:02:27 pm by River Don »
I agree that expectations are very high at the moment as is the frustration. It can't be helped I suppose while ever there is the suggestion that we can have much more money spent on players and the Premiership is within our grasp...

I think Rovers are a middling fourth division side who can sometimes make it to the third (Div 1, Christ I hate the confusion of how they label the leagues now)

For me, the Conference and Championship represent the two extremes of where we can expect to see Rovers compete. So I try and remember that and enjoy watching Rovers endeavours in trying to reach for the heights and remain in this division.

Tokyos Boot

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 07, 2014, 05:10:08 pm by Tokyos Boot »
I had a great chat with a friend earlier and with one simple question he made me realise that all this carping and bitching is because we have come from a better time of football and we're a fish out of water, all struggling for air!!

That question was:

What season out of the last 10 years have you enjoyed the most?

My answer was 2003/2004 (League 2 promotion) and 2007/2008 (League 1 promotion).

The Championship, although it is a gold star in our club history almanac is actually a really uncomfortable place to be for us, i'll be much more contented with my rovers if we ever get back to League 2 level, i miss away day grounds with character, the out of shape players and the general feeling of togetherness around our fanbase.

I think the whole of the football business, the KMS and the rebranding of our club as a result of our successes has sort of left behind all the things i fell in love with.

So as glib as it sounds, bring on a bit of a fall from grace - i can't wait till we're the scruffy underdogs again!!

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 07, 2014, 05:13:19 pm by Wellred »
I will never understand the thinking of some people. If you don't have ambitions what is the point of supporting your club?
Expectations are somewhat different but surely do you not start the season hoping to do well?
The better you do the more your expectations/hopes/ambitions increase.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 07, 2014, 05:14:08 pm by graingrover »
I think it's useful to make  semantic distinctions .. 'team/side and club. Yes we have' sized down' to a small club especially in terms of attendances, but I don't see that necessarily precludes us from building a team that can hold it's own in the second tier .
   We have a good stadium and training facilities . We are not highly leveraged financially . We have put in place a sound Management team both on and off the field .This includes Brian Flynn who is developing a squad of youngsters . We have not had a reserve ( development squad) for 10 years . We have the best CEO we have ever had .
        I hardly dare mention that we have still two or three generous Doncastrian benefactors but it is a fact that we do and that is also an extremely rare and positive attribute for a club our size .

Milepostuk

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 07, 2014, 05:14:30 pm by Milepostuk »
I think that most people would have taken 3rd bottom at Christmas with a chance of getting out of a relegation spot on day one of the season. I think it's how we've got here (after a good start) that's caused the problem.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 07, 2014, 06:07:51 pm by andysly »
Best season of the last 10 for me was the 2008/09 when we first reached Championship. 4 months of great football and no results followed by an unbelievable turnaround to see us rise from bottom to nearly top half.

If some people see the Premier league as realistic then in IMO they will be disappointed. The takeover talk has started this turmoil with some seeing this as a guaranteed promotion fund. Again in my view even if they had stumped up £40M on the spot, promotion would be far from automatic, you only have to look at the money spent by QPR, Leicester, Forest etc.

Me I'd be happy if we survive this season, and have a few more years being a middle/bottom half Championship side.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 07, 2014, 06:19:00 pm by Spud »
While i get the sentiment of the OP, we are good enough to stay in this league, just !!!
Fourth bottom will do nicely this season & it's very achievable, we're hardly cut adrift at the bottom are we?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 07, 2014, 06:28:35 pm by Lesonthewest »
I agree with the OP, we simply can't compete at this level season after season without heavy financial input, input that our fanbase cannot justify. I miss the visits to the Rotherhams, Mansfields & Yorks of this world. This league seems so detached from those days. So if we do go down I would take being a good respectable League 1 side, with players playing with a bit of passion above skill then I for one won't be complaining.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 07, 2014, 06:39:48 pm by roversontheup »
I agree with the OP, we simply can't compete at this level season after season without heavy financial input, input that our fanbase cannot justify. I miss the visits to the Rotherhams, Mansfields & Yorks of this world. This league seems so detached from those days. So if we do go down I would take being a good respectable League 1 side, with players playing with a bit of passion above skill then I for one won't be complaining.

I think we are in a minority Les but do agree. I especially agree with the comment about feeling detached.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 07, 2014, 07:03:44 pm by graingrover »
I don't feel detached at all . I feel part of the community spirit of our club and am just gritting my teeth during this bad period and through the  negative vibes but remain hopeful we can pull through this .

drfcbenny625

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 07, 2014, 07:12:30 pm by drfcbenny625 »
I think a lot of people's heads got turned by all the takeover talk (sorry to bring it up again) and when it didn't go as planned or as was reported it left a whole lot of people disappointed wondering at what could've been. Being linked with Shay Given etc. Before all that I thought the general consensus was that it would be a tough season and we would be more than happy finishing 21st.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 07, 2014, 07:25:56 pm by philsky »
Best season of the last 10 for me was the 2008/09 when we first reached Championship. 4 months of great football and no results followed by an unbelievable turnaround to see us rise from bottom to nearly top half.

If some people see the Premier league as realistic then in IMO they will be disappointed. The takeover talk has started this turmoil with some seeing this as a guaranteed promotion fund. Again in my view even if they had stumped up £40M on the spot, promotion would be far from automatic, you only have to look at the money spent by QPR, Leicester, Forest etc.

Me I'd be happy if we survive this season, and have a few more years being a middle/bottom half Championship side.

The first season back in the fourth tier was such a special season and that opening match at Leyton was just magical - I was one of the few who attended our 0-8 at their ground a few years earlier.

I know im wearing rose tinted glasses but that team was full of old school heroes - and with McIndoe bringing some flair, that season was one of the best for me.

However, pushed close by the Stocky group that passed teams to death.

We have been blessed.

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 07, 2014, 08:17:12 pm by MiKA »

It's not nice to hear but for me this is just reality.  The Championship is now the Premiership No2 and we will never have the funds the players or the fans to compete at this level, if we can stay in the upper half of division 1 and with the occasional promotion then I'll be happy.

Sure we can all dream but anyone that expects better should support one of the top 5 clubs  RTID

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 07, 2014, 08:20:24 pm by River Don »

The first season back in the fourth tier was such a special season and that opening match at Leyton was just magical - I was one of the few who attended our 0-8 at their ground a few years earlier.

I know im wearing rose tinted glasses but that team was full of old school heroes - and with McIndoe bringing some flair, that season was one of the best for me.

However, pushed close by the Stocky group that passed teams to death.

We have been blessed.

That red arrows side of Penney's had some magical moments, going forward the interaction between McIndoe, Green, Coppinger and Doolan could be sublime.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 07, 2014, 09:02:16 pm by andysly »
All to their own, but I don't understand people hankering for League 1 or 2.
Would you really want to swap places with Rotherham for example, or even Scunthorpe.
Ok they're winning more than us but I'd still rather be struggling in this league.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 07, 2014, 10:57:30 pm by PDX_Rover »
I was thinking about this last night oddly enough, and concluded that at the end of the day, the league tables don't lie. Sure, promotion was unexpected last season, and the dramatic way in which it happened will live long in the memory. Up there in the top five all time Rovers moments (and that's from 40 years supporting Rovers). But, we are here on merit. Yes, theoretically, historically, we are punching above our weight, but I want us to build on what we have and become a fixture in the second tier. No doubt, it is a very competitive league. The amount of money flying around is crazy. But we are here. We've got half of the season to go. We've had a massive distraction in the first half of the season off the field, and I hope that is now put to bed and the board focuses on the task ahead of surviving this season in this division.

The club and us supporters have a lot of work to do to win back at least two generations of supporters lost to other clubs, but I firmly believe that the community plans that the club has for outreach and making Rovers inclusive is the right way to go about it. The club has to win back hearts and minds IMO and push on from there. the sporting Club Doncaster idea is another way of bringing the community closer together. What's to lose? Definitely worth a go.

It's not going to be easy. It's not going to be a quick fix. But, with the right investment in the squad this month, allied to players coming back form long-term injuries, we can survive, and gather our thoughts for next season. That's my hope anyway. I see no reason why we cannot achieve that and kick on as a decent Championship club with a solid bond with the community of Doncaster.

Bloody hell... I for one am delighted we are where we are! I am sure the powers that be know what needs to be done, and will do it.

RTID :)

DRFC17

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 07, 2014, 11:04:22 pm by DRFC17 »
People seem to forget that in 5 of the last 6 seasons we have been in the Championship. Surely that doesn't make us a mid table league one club?

Xtrarover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 07, 2014, 11:07:02 pm by Xtrarover »
Good post PDX !!  :thumbsup:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 07, 2014, 11:15:17 pm by RedJ »
People seem to forget that in 5 of the last 6 seasons we have been in the Championship. Surely that doesn't make us a mid table league one club?

Historically though that's what we've been on average.

Hopefully in the future, that won't be the case, but who knows.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 07, 2014, 11:22:16 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
You've got to remember where you come from,but having no expectations is called standing still,that's Relegation speak,being satisfied in the League below where we are,we earned the right to be where we are,going backwards only weakens the team it doesn't strengthen it,the supporter base won't get bigger dropping through the league's!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:39:15 pm by Sammy Chung was King »

Malc Morling

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 07, 2014, 11:33:11 pm by Malc Morling »
Prem 2 okay i'll take that How do we build the fan base. to compete at this level i'd say by staying in this division keeping above shef wed utd Barsnley ect spent most of my live being second fiddle to these clubs also we never wore the shirt in my day WHY?? cos we were a minority in div 4 most of day till we hit rock btm these are happy days & long may they continue The young'uns of today will keep wearing the shirt & start coming as they grow older as no one looks down on us any more also the gates will come  :rtid: :chair:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 07, 2014, 11:35:42 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Also agree this is a very refreshing thread.

Also funnily enough, on the way home tonight I was listening to Talksport who were talking to a Sunderland fan after they posed the question 'Cup or Relegation'. The Sunderland fan put over his feelings very well and said he'd taker the cup over Premiership survival and recalled Sunderland memorable moments over the last 10 years. None of his memories were about 'surviving' in the Premiership.

He eluded to the pain, misery and financial hardship encountered following Sunderland in the Premiership and at least a good cup run or better would bring some joy.

Relating this to our own situation, we were elated to achieve promotion at the first time of asking and I'm sure many of us found it refreshing in League One. I found it less stressful and found I could enjoy matches much more. OK the football at times wasn't the best quality but it was mostly honest endeavour and good competition.

I remember JR standing up at the meet the owners do at the beginning of the season and he eluded to us being a Yo-Yo club and I     
think the majority of us were quite happy to accept that. On reflection I think he was expecting a more negative response.

Whilst I accept 'ambition' is a desirable, it comes in different shapes and forms for a club of our stature. We've achieved ambitions to reach the Championship but look how we respond. We hardly act as if we're pleased to be here !!

Collectively, we should be looking as this completely differently. I'm sure we'd all find it more enjoyable if we could encourage a less pressurised/stressful atmosphere about the place. Perhaps, it manifests itself on the players and management due to the 'fear' of relegation being seen as failure.

We get so wrapped up in each match, results and analyse every point lost, every 'poor' performance, every dodgy decision, every bit of transfer speculation etc., etc.

Our 'ambitions' do not necessarily have to be all in one basket titled 'Premier League'. As mentioned above, we need to think about what we like about football and recall what we have enjoyed in the past.

There has to be up's and downs in football for it to work and, let's face it, one relegation since 1998 isn't too shabby is it!!

I think the Sunderland fan will be beaming tonight!   

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 08, 2014, 10:54:39 am by Scooter »

Evidence that we do have supporters who talk sense. Andy, I completely agree!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012