Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:28:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Great expectations...  (Read 843 times)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
Great expectations...
« on February 20, 2022, 11:10:29 am by Canadian Rover »
Where have they gone? We seem to have accepted that other big clubs and good teams are levels upon levels above us.

We are led to expect defeats to Rotherham, Sunderland, Ipswich and Wednesday because of the size of the clubs.

We are told we can't expect to sign the likes of Marquis because he's on massive wages - yet he was pretty much let go from league one Portsmouth to league one Lincoln.

Some of the above are big clubs (that are badly run), some are not - some are good teams. I feel we are expected to lose and when we do win against these teams it's a shock.

We are in league one and so is everyone else!! We need as a club to stop showing too much respect and admiration for our opponents.

Plymouth, Wycombe, MK Dons and Oxford all sit in the playoffs - none of those clubs in my view are "big clubs" decent teams...but the expectation is there for them to all compete. We on the other hand have now turned into a club that sits in a low block on the hopes of snatching a win with a set piece or as of late a penalty. As a club I feel we need to show more ambition on the pitch...play with less fear- playing with 5 at the back against a mid table club at home isn't good enough.

People will say we have improved with GMC and I agree but it sounds like his original plan has changed. From a possession based team running miles and outworking the opposition to sitting back and hoping. Almost Saunders like footy.

We will go down with an attitude of hanging on and won't improve as a team unless we improve the style and intent.

Holding on for 70 minutes in a derby at home isn't a road map for success it's the acceptance of future failure.

Let's go play and score some goals!! (In open play)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Great expectations...
« Reply #1 on February 20, 2022, 11:22:45 am by dickos1 »
Few things
Not sure we were holding on, infant our best play yesterday was the first 15-20 mins of the second half when we should’ve scored again.
I don’t think anyone was suggesting we shouldn’t win because of the club size more so the quality of player and the budgets

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 20, 2022, 11:28:43 am by Campsall rover »
Where have they gone? We seem to have accepted that other big clubs and good teams are levels upon levels above us.

We are led to expect defeats to Rotherham, Sunderland, Ipswich and Wednesday because of the size of the clubs.

We are told we can't expect to sign the likes of Marquis because he's on massive wages - yet he was pretty much let go from league one Portsmouth to league one Lincoln.

Some of the above are big clubs (that are badly run), some are not - some are good teams. I feel we are expected to lose and when we do win against these teams it's a shock.

We are in league one and so is everyone else!! We need as a club to stop showing too much respect and admiration for our opponents.

Plymouth, Wycombe, MK Dons and Oxford all sit in the playoffs - none of those clubs in my view are "big clubs" decent teams...but the expectation is there for them to all compete. We on the other hand have now turned into a club that sits in a low block on the hopes of snatching a win with a set piece or as of late a penalty. As a club I feel we need to show more ambition on the pitch...play with less fear- playing with 5 at the back against a mid table club at home isn't good enough.

People will say we have improved with GMC and I agree but it sounds like his original plan has changed. From a possession based team running miles and outworking the opposition to sitting back and hoping. Almost Saunders like footy.

We will go down with an attitude of hanging on and won't improve as a team unless we improve the style and intent.

Holding on for 70 minutes in a derby at home isn't a road map for success it's the acceptance of future failure.

Let's go play and score some goals!! (In open play)
Agree with what you say up to a point.

The fact is we are not going to score 3 goals very often and so we have to be more compact and frugal at conceding goals.
We will not win any games conceding 2/3 goals
No way is this team capable of out scoring the opposition.
I can see what GM is doing with the way he is setting the team up.
Anderson is a big miss and would imo make a difference.
Williams looks ok and then he makes a mistake which costs us.
His heading is very poor. Anderson is so much better.
We also need his experience at the back.

Do think we looked like a team yesterday and Smith was m.o.m. Yet again.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 20, 2022, 11:29:56 am by DonnyOsmond »
We could have brought in Marquis but him coming would have meant we'd bring in a few less players than we did in January.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 20, 2022, 11:33:54 am by Bessie Red »
I think its just a reflection of where we are at the moment. We are at the start of a massive rebuild after Moore ripped the club apart. It will take a few years but I believe we will get back to competing at the top end of League 1/bottom end of Championship.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 20, 2022, 11:35:05 am by Canadian Rover »
We could have brought in Marquis but him coming would have meant we'd bring in a few less players than we did in January.

Would you rather have one Marquis or Agard & Mipo as a combo?

And I'm not saying that was the same wage but as an example.

Agard isn't getting a look in - why?

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 20, 2022, 11:45:38 am by Donny Exile in York »

Would you rather have one Marquis or Agard & Mipo as a combo?

And I'm not saying that was the same wage but as an example.

Agard isn't getting a look in - why?

On viewing there performances to date where Agard looks way off the pace and other loanee i haven't seen do anything of note yet.. yes absolutely all day long!

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 20, 2022, 11:46:38 am by Butchers Red »
When Agard came on yesterday he looked like he could barely run - clearly he's either carrying an injury still or have his leg's gone ??

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 20, 2022, 11:56:55 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Realistic expectations from where we've been.

Measure the gap on the pitch yesterday to the gap financially. That tells me we are healthier as a club than those from Swillsborough.

Only now,  are we where we should have been at the start of the season and building.

Goes without saying really but the injuries to key players scuppered us, even before we examine the competence of each manager.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 20, 2022, 12:34:57 pm by Plumbster »
The OP is right, at this level we have had several years where we have rarely been outplayed and the collapse in the space of 12 months is incredible.  It feels like it could be a long road back but at least there are signs we are turning it around.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 20, 2022, 01:32:39 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Realistic expectations from where we've been.

Measure the gap on the pitch yesterday to the gap financially. That tells me we are healthier as a club than those from Swillsborough.

Only now,  are we where we should have been at the start of the season and building.

Goes without saying really but the injuries to key players scuppered us, even before we examine the competence of each manager.

We don't win a league one Balance sheet title though or all go to sit and say look at our value add compared to there other team.. we go to watch good football, hopefully winning more than not, goals and competing well against the opposition..

I think some may have lost sight of this with all the we are sustainable and plaudits given to a board who have presided over one of the worst seasons results to date in our history.. the sustainability hasn't just coincided with the worst run of results since 1997-98.. yet some on here role out the plaudits to the owners..  unbelievable...

This season ranks in the top 3 worst in 40 years of supporting them.. and follows an absolute calamitous fall from grace last season results and performances wise. There are some right grass eaters amongst us happy cos at least we have a club. For every Darlington there are alternative examples.. a Rotherham or Wycombe managing to do alot better than us with apparently no greater resource or catchment area, stadium, fan base etc. So how well are the owners really doing?!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 01:52:13 pm by Donny Exile in York »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012