Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 12:56:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Sutton United game  (Read 6105 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Sutton United game
« on February 15, 2023, 10:43:20 am by selby »
  The return fixture of our first home game of the season and first victory of the season when Bobby Faulkner was introduced to the forward line on 88 minutes and caused havoc in the Sutton penalty area and we scored two late goals to pinch the points.
  Last night they won v Swindon after being behind to a Charlie Austin goal but scored on 85 and 88 minutes so know the feeling of the great escape. A Swindon supporter described the game as between two terrible inept teams but although Sutton only had 45% of the possession they had 22 shots at goal, probably as many as we have in three games, so a danger if we play the game in our own half.  Their position in the league table is mostly shored up by their home form where most of their points have been collected, and from what I can remember about that game at the start of the season they looked a big strong outfit, strong in midfield and organised, So a hard place for us to go and try and keep our own momentum going and get that elusive fourth win on the trot not a thing we do very often but really need to to get anywhere this season and turn it around.
  I thought we were ok last night, not great and were disrupted by Barrows physical approach at times and their willingness to use the tactical foul, but on the plus side we looked fairly solid against a side I thought looked better going forward direct and we coped quite well, and our wide play has improved immeasurably since Hurst and Molineux have realised they can take defenders on at pace, more of this please, and the full backs give them good cover and support.
  Olowu I always thought with Faulkner to be our best defenders with potential, last night Olowu was the catalyst for a much improved defensive display and added pace at the back and even better anticipation of danger. but if Anderson is fit, or Schofield gets some gonads and trusts Faulkner I would prefer Tommy to be let loose further forward  and one of those two play in defence, the combination of Faulkner and Olowu my preference if Faulkner is recalled after what looks like a very successful months loan would be the combination with Anderson if we have no agreement to have to play Nelson who looks easy on the eye but positionally gets pulled about and has distribution no better than Faulkner going for the Olay ball that gets cut out mostly and we got away with last night. My thoughts others can disagree.
  Close in midfield has certainly upped his game, and needed to, our mid field before Christmas non existent in most games and isolated our front players who had to play too deep in a crowded area to try and get in the game. Now we are moving the ball forward quicker and bringing more players into the game earlier and in more room to work in, and has opened the game up to bring Molineux and Hurst into the game  who both look a threat when running at defenders with the ball.
   So a difficult and important game, the importance despite decent results in the last three games and because of them building every week, we need another good result to keep plugging away every game to the end of the season. Things look a little better on the field of play which is the main place, but it makes me wonder are some playing to get away? In some cases I hope very much not.
   Again, What do you think?  can we get among it and finish the season on a high?  have we turned a corner? Are you happy the players are now at more ease with our system of play? can we be the team that bursts through from behind at the death of the season?
   Loads of questions to discuss about this game, Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Sutton United game
« Reply #1 on February 15, 2023, 10:51:56 am by ravenrover »
I for one disagree

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 15, 2023, 11:00:32 am by Bailey Vickerage »
I disagree massively with u saying Nelson is no better than Faulkner. Nelson been quality since coming in and looks very composed on the ball. Miles ahead of Faulkner at this moment in time and think he will go on and have a very good career at a much higher level than this.

Thought we looked a bit tired in the 2nd half yesterday so hopefully the players can recover in time for Saturday and go again against another tough physical side. I’d go with the same team if all fit enough.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 15, 2023, 11:01:58 am by Donnywolf »
A few games ago I was at Rovcom 5   the lowest measure of being up for the game

I sang at the same game "I'm Rovers till I fall asleep"

What a turn Round , a Team that now looks like it has a purpose , that's starting to believe and indeed make fans believe

Swindon performance looked like the boys were on a long unbeaten and unchanged run , though there had been changes. Again last night some changes but whilst not like Swindon performsnce we won and racked up a 3rd clean sheet

Olowu is looking immense Moly is firing and we are playing recognisable football

The long way round to say I'm buzzing for Saturday and Sutton and I'm at Rovcom 2 ALREADY .

It's good to be back  :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 11:06:26 am by Donnywolf »

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 15, 2023, 11:34:39 am by Upton Rover »
Only 3 of Suttons 22 shots were on target, they are very similar to us on shots on target over the past 3 games, not only do shots on target get you goals, them goals don’t guarantee to get you points, however clean sheets do guarantee you points and we have had 3 in a row, Sutton haven’t
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 11:39:43 am by Upton Rover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 15, 2023, 11:59:12 am by selby »
  Ravenrover, we will need them both Anderson is out now, and will always need his fitness managing from now on and over a long period has Struggled to put a long run of games together.
   Rowe is in much the same state, and can miss games between now and the end of the season, and is it his best position to contribute to the team? and the other question  is he better there than a recognised central defender?  We are just a couple of injuries away from being short in a vital position, and it wants covering, if Anderson is fit I would play him for his experience, Olowu the big question is will he move on next season, Nelson gives us balance and as you have noticed is easy on the eye with the ball, very much in the u23s vein of play and needs to learn the other side of the game quickly because he is going to come up against it probably this weekend and the one after. My back three would be Olowu Anderson Nelson, and move Olowu central and Faulkner right if Anderson is not fit. 
   The big question really is who of them will be here next season, Leicester will want Nelson to ideally play higher, Faulkner has a number of bigger clubs monitoring his progress and could step in for our usual cheap sale, and now Olowu is fit after being out the majority of his contract he may look to kick on and will have his suiters if he plays regularly like he did last night to the end of the season, and its to be hoped for Anderson's sake he gets back to being fitter and can continue his career.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 15, 2023, 12:31:33 pm by steve@dcfd »
Will Anderson Olowu accept their contract offers will we extend Faulkner contract incase we get an offer or keep him longer. We could lose 4 CHs in the summer aswell as RSW. As for the Sutton game I hope Anderson is fit to return. If not fit we can’t extend Faulkners loan as we will need him.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 15, 2023, 12:43:12 pm by steve@dcfd »
Having just read an article in the free press from James Maxwell he has been very honest in this Quote from DFP
“It’s not been easy. Results have been indifferent at times. But I don’t want to talk about turning corners or anything like that. We’ve said it at different parts of the season and it’s not come to fruition. It’s a boring cliche but it’s just a game at a time now and building on each one. We’re nowhere near where we want to be in terms of our actual football but I think now we’re finding a bit more of a balance while we’re in that transition in terms of showing a bit more grit and the dirty side of the game to allow football to take over.

As Copps said at MTO meeting similar the team is learning and working on improvements.

The Chairman got carried away at the beginning of the season with no direct evidence to back up his statement.

We are a team in progress so let’s hope we can get more wins and clean sheets continuing against Sutton.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 15, 2023, 12:46:46 pm by RugbyRover »
Sutton have won 5 of their last 6 home games, drawing the other. Top of the Home Form table. Considering how Barrow made us look "ordinary" I think we're in for a tough game. A draw would be a good result for us.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 15, 2023, 01:02:45 pm by steve@dcfd »
With only 4 draws in the season so far and the last being on Oct15th then a draw would be a novelty. We  need to score 2 goals as we did at Swindon then we could get another win butt it’s going to be difficult.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 15, 2023, 01:04:59 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Will Anderson Olowu accept their contract offers will we extend Faulkner contract incase we get an offer or keep him longer. We could lose 4 CHs in the summer aswell as RSW. As for the Sutton game I hope Anderson is fit to return. If not fit we can’t extend Faulkners loan as we will need him.

I’m not sure I’d offer Anderson one. Or if I were to offer him one it would reflect that he can’t play a full season. Copps etc will know what he earns and hopefully have an idea if we can get better.

Olowu is worth a improved offer reflecting that he is now best centre half at the club.

Faulkner would be good to extend too. I’d like to see him starting next season if we don’t go up. If he has a strong spell at Spenny I think he’s earnt a proper chance

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 15, 2023, 01:28:11 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Anderson missed last night with a foot injury and will miss Sutton and Bradford, should be back for the Stockport game. Wasn’t risked yesterday as a precaution and won’t be risked in the next 2 (schofield giving him 10-14 days to get it right)

Playing Rowe as one of the back 3 is because he brings the ball out of defence well gives us another attacking option going forward as he overlaps the wing back and overloads the midfield. Yesterday he ran forward early and got a shot off in the first few mins from the edge of the area. When we’ve got the ball, he always pushes forward and gives an extra option (most of the time he is a free man because the strikers not gonna track him all the way back). Knoyle did it in the few games he played there aswell and got a couple of goal contributions from that position.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 15, 2023, 05:42:02 pm by ravenrover »
  Ravenrover, we will need them both Anderson is out now, and will always need his fitness managing from now on and over a long period has Struggled to put a long run of games together.
   Rowe is in much the same state, and can miss games between now and the end of the season, and is it his best position to contribute to the team? and the other question  is he better there than a recognised central defender?  We are just a couple of injuries away from being short in a vital position, and it wants covering, if Anderson is fit I would play him for his experience, Olowu the big question is will he move on next season, Nelson gives us balance and as you have noticed is easy on the eye with the ball, very much in the u23s vein of play and needs to learn the other side of the game quickly because he is going to come up against it probably this weekend and the one after. My back three would be Olowu Anderson Nelson, and move Olowu central and Faulkner right if Anderson is not fit. 
   The big question really is who of them will be here next season, Leicester will want Nelson to ideally play higher, Faulkner has a number of bigger clubs monitoring his progress and could step in for our usual cheap sale, and now Olowu is fit after being out the majority of his contract he may look to kick on and will have his suiters if he plays regularly like he did last night to the end of the season, and its to be hoped for Anderson's sake he gets back to being fitter and can continue his career.
The only thing I disagree on is in your statement comparing Nelson and Faulkener. Nelson is , in my opinion, the much better player.
That is all I disagree on.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 15, 2023, 06:18:26 pm by RugbyRover »
With only 4 draws in the season so far and the last being on Oct15th then a draw would be a novelty. We  need to score 2 goals as we did at Swindon then we could get another win butt it’s going to be difficult.

Looks like we're due a draw then.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 15, 2023, 06:23:45 pm by DonnyOsmond »
DS seems a decent coach and if he can improve Faulkners on the ball ability over the summer then he will be worth a starting place in this league. Defensively he's there, we all know that.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 15, 2023, 06:31:39 pm by RugbyRover »
The three center backs were all dire playing out from the back last night. If that's all he's got to beat he'll not have a problem.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 15, 2023, 08:30:04 pm by ravenrover »
You must have been watching a different game to me

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 15, 2023, 09:19:38 pm by selby »
  Raven, I agree with Rugby on Nelson's distribution especially in the first half last night especially in the first half hour, he plays a nice ball square or backwards but his passing forward was terrible and set them through twice when intercepted if they had capitalised better, and like the Hartlepool game in the first 30 minutes the right winger got past him with ease.
   In fact I would like to see him play in the hurly burly of the games at Spennymoor as like a lot of u23s at that level and intensity its sink or swim, it's a much faster more
 physical game than division 2 and a lot are found wanting coming through the academy system, but soon learn.
   What he does do  he gives us balance on the left hand side  and has a much improved Maxwell alongside him.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 15, 2023, 09:42:50 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Sutton have won 5 of their last 6 home games, drawing the other. Top of the Home Form table. Considering how Barrow made us look "ordinary" I think we're in for a tough game. A draw would be a good result for us.

When we played them at the Ecomoat I was surprised how athletic and good with the ball to say they were a team of strapping lads. They can play as well as mixing it up.

No reason to believe they won't be anything but a handful on Saturday.

We will have to be on our A game to keep possession for long enough periods. The first 40 mins v Barrow is what we hope for.

The majority of the second half we sat in with none of the centre half's willing to bring the ball out to avoid being caught on the counter. What we need to do better is countering the bombardment with smarter play, finding better out balls and being better with hold up play. Someone, who can buy time, buy a foul etc further up the pitch. Without that, it's more hope the judgement when balls are coming back at you as quick as first cleared. Hurst, Molyneux and Miller need to be a bit smarter in that department than on Tuesdays second half.

Once we drop, whilst we may be keeping defensive shape, it's more difficult to win second balls so the passing out of defence has to be on the money. We did it at Swindon to good effect, so we'll need that if we are to stand any chance of a result at Sutton.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 09:47:44 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 15, 2023, 10:01:42 pm by normal rules »
I wouldn’t say rovers have turned a corner, more like beginning to.
Still need to click between midfield and striker(s) .
Shades of it against barrow. More needed. Much more.
Gutted not to be there as I’m at a 50th in Harrogate. But come three pm, I’ll be checking the phone. A lot.
My lad will be there though with two fellow Londonites cheering the lads on.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 15, 2023, 10:58:58 pm by les@donr »
Sutton will be a tough test. However, confidence and a winning momentum counts for a lot.. I'm predicting an away win.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 16, 2023, 07:44:10 am by roversdude »
New ground for me
I would take a draw but secretly hoping we can return up the A1 with all 3
Any news on Biggins - the starting 11 look good but it’s the bench I’m starting to have concerns about

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 16, 2023, 09:04:13 am by Sammy Chung was King »
They will target Rowe as a weak link aerially. We need to make sure we don’t drop too deep defensively. I think we can go there and win but it will be a tough game.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 16, 2023, 09:51:12 am by ravenrover »
  Raven, I agree with Rugby on Nelson's distribution especially in the first half last night especially in the first half hour, he plays a nice ball square or backwards but his passing forward was terrible and set them through twice when intercepted if they had capitalised better, and like the Hartlepool game in the first 30 minutes the right winger got past him with ease.
   In fact I would like to see him play in the hurly burly of the games at Spennymoor as like a lot of u23s at that level and intensity its sink or swim, it's a much faster more
 physical game than division 2 and a lot are found wanting coming through the academy system, but soon learn.
   What he does do  he gives us balance on the left hand side  and has a much improved Maxwell alongside him.
Selby I would have expected nothing less from you

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 16, 2023, 10:23:19 am by NickDRFC »
You know in Alan Partridge where he goes to a fan’s house and there are pictures of him all over the wall in one of the rooms? I imagine selby has a similar room devoted to Faulkner  ;) :lol:

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 16, 2023, 12:32:10 pm by ncRover »
If you can remember, they had a pacey winger who caused us problems - Neufville I think. He appears to be injured.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 16, 2023, 12:47:50 pm by Chris Black come back »
They are on a good run of league form. Only lost 2 in 10 and they were tough games away at Salford and Orient.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 16, 2023, 06:36:45 pm by karldew »
First visit for me. Best be a decent performance as I’m on nights until 05:00 on Saturday morning then on the coach for this one.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 16, 2023, 06:58:07 pm by drfchound »
First visit for me. Best be a decent performance as I’m on nights until 05:00 on Saturday morning then on the coach for this one.

At least you can have a sleep on the way there, and back.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 16, 2023, 07:02:16 pm by Donnywolf »
Not if Paul is singing Baby Shark all the way there , pausing only to call the Bingo  :lol: :lol: :lol:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012