Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 03:39:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Crawley Town game  (Read 4461 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Crawley Town game
« on March 19, 2023, 05:09:08 pm by selby »
  The biggest question about this game is has anyone any confidence we can go to the third bottom of the division and win?
  Crawley are third from the bottom of the division, but above us In the present form league, having won their last two games while we have been abjectly poor, us being third from the bottom of that league despite our technical ability, and switched on modern tactical management team.
   So what can we expect, at present? I think not a lot, and those supporters still willing to travel long distances must dread a long night time journey if again they and our team have the stuffing knocked out of us.
  I am normally a lifelong happy clappy bunny, and thought that I had seen most things in football over my long suffering support of this club, but this period seems even worse than what has happened to the club in the past as I see this period as total ineptitude on the playing side.
 The club has never had in the past the facilities the club now possess at the training ground, stadium, and medical back up it has at present, and the IT back up, to monitor  players and their ability to play, and we have ended up with players who would not hold a place in levels of football in non league a number of levels below, and a management team that would be and in the Kings Lynn FA first round cup game were completely out of their depth being one trick ponies who don't or will not adapt to different situations, and are pedantic and stubborn enough to stick to formations and players clearly not up to the job at hand and are oblivious of any ideas that would likely change a game.
   What team we field on Tuesday I have no idea, our latest injury list growing again and players picking up long term injuries again, the team spirit looks on the floor with no natural leader if Anderson is absent, and we play like individuals and not a cohesive team.
  Of the three goals conceded again on Saturday two were schoolboy errors seen on local parks on a Sunday morning, and games of football are awfully hard to win doing that, and we were lucky at other times the post came to our rescue when our technical defenders got skinned again.
   As you can see in this column I have very little faith in our team and management to alter a slide now, I don't even think they have the spirit and pride in themselves to give it a go, fight being a rare occasion since the first few games of the season under GM.
  How do you see this game? what do you think the outcome will be? are you like me hoping to be made a fool of and completely wrong when the team go on a long unbeaten run to the end of the season? 
   Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Crawley Town game
« Reply #1 on March 19, 2023, 05:57:04 pm by Campsall rover »
  The biggest question about this game is has anyone any confidence we can go to the third bottom of the division and win?
  Crawley are third from the bottom of the division, but above us In the present form league, having won their last two games while we have been abjectly poor, us being third from the bottom of that league despite our technical ability, and switched on modern tactical management team.
   So what can we expect, at present? I think not a lot, and those supporters still willing to travel long distances must dread a long night time journey if again they and our team have the stuffing knocked out of us.
  I am normally a lifelong happy clappy bunny, and thought that I had seen most things in football over my long suffering support of this club, but this period seems even worse than what has happened to the club in the past as I see this period as total ineptitude on the playing side.
 The club has never had in the past the facilities the club now possess at the training ground, stadium, and medical back up it has at present, and the IT back up, to monitor  players and their ability to play, and we have ended up with players who would not hold a place in levels of football in non league a number of levels below, and a management team that would be and in the Kings Lynn FA first round cup game were completely out of their depth being one trick ponies who don't or will not adapt to different situations, and are pedantic and stubborn enough to stick to formations and players clearly not up to the job at hand and are oblivious of any ideas that would likely change a game.
   What team we field on Tuesday I have no idea, our latest injury list growing again and players picking up long term injuries again, the team spirit looks on the floor with no natural leader if Anderson is absent, and we play like individuals and not a cohesive team.
  Of the three goals conceded again on Saturday two were schoolboy errors seen on local parks on a Sunday morning, and games of football are awfully hard to win doing that, and we were lucky at other times the post came to our rescue when our technical defenders got skinned again.
   As you can see in this column I have very little faith in our team and management to alter a slide now, I don't even think they have the spirit and pride in themselves to give it a go, fight being a rare occasion since the first few games of the season under GM.
  How do you see this game? what do you think the outcome will be? are you like me hoping to be made a fool of and completely wrong when the team go on a long unbeaten run to the end of the season? 
   Please have your say.
Last paragraph.Brian.  Just seen 3 pigs fly over my house.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 19, 2023, 06:18:26 pm by normal rules »
If the team go on a long unbeaten run between now and the end of the season it would mean every team we play have to do a “Fulham”* in the first 5 mins of each game.

* reference to the moments madness at old Trafford this afternoon.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 19, 2023, 10:03:30 pm by roversdude »
I’m going as it’s a new ground and we have a site down that way that I can call in at.
However I seem to have misplaced the tickets from the original game - anyone know if I can get replacements please……or is it a sign not to go.
I will call the ticket office in the morning
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 10:34:59 pm by roversdude »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 19, 2023, 10:34:09 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'm putting my reputation on the line here because I feel we might go on a bit of a run over the next couple of games. Whether it's because we've reached rock bottom and the only way is up, or the opposition will now stop taking us seriously, or our players might be playing for their futures, or maybe a combination of all three scenarios might give us a change in fortunes.

Of course, it might just as easily, and most probably will turn out to be me just carrying on a typical Rovers fan's habit of wishful thinking.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 20, 2023, 12:08:56 am by Campsall rover »
I'm putting my reputation on the line here because I feel we might go on a bit of a run over the next couple of games. Whether it's because we've reached rock bottom and the only way is up, or the opposition will now stop taking us seriously, or our players might be playing for their futures, or maybe a combination of all three scenarios might give us a change in fortunes.

Of course, it might just as easily, and most probably will turn out to be me just carrying on a typical Rovers fan's habit of wishful thinking.
Well BB before Saturday I genuinely believed if we could go and win at Salford we had a chance of making the play offs. I also did think we could go there and win. Crewe had just put 4 goals past them.

We have a lot of games against teams with not much to play for in our run in.  Our run in was possibly the easiest ( on paper ) of all our rivals. 

What I didn’t expect was such an inept display from our team at Salford. That 2nd half we looked totally disinterested. Looked like a set of players who had never clapped eyes on each other before.

So after that I have given up with any positive expectations for the last 10 games. Under this manager we are going backwards.
Don’t know what DS said at half time but based on how they played it would almost looked as if the players had downed tools and had stopped listening.

Any more performances of that ilk and DS has to go before the seasons end.  We cannot afford to waste this  summers transfer window and end up in the same or even worse position in November.

Brave and bold decisions need to be made. If the board really want promotion then let’s see the evidence.
A manager with experience of this league and league 1 required, and one who has a track record of success.
Preferably one with a managerial promotion on his CV.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 20, 2023, 12:55:44 am by Sammy Chung was King »
We could go there and win. No way will we get in the playoffs unfortunately, at the end of the season .
Crawley are a very poor side, but we are capable of our standard dropping to theirs.

I hope for a win. I would love us to go on a good run but our consistency just isn’t there. Yes win one or two in a very poor league, but not good enough to maintain good performances.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 20, 2023, 05:39:16 am by Chris Black come back »
We’ve never lost at Crawley Town and they have only ever scored a single goal against us at their place, ironically 10 years ago against a defence of Husband, Jones, McCombe and Quinn.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 20, 2023, 06:21:09 am by Silkscarf »
Salford was the last chance for any thoughts of scraping into the playoffs to paper over the cracks.

Now I’m just thinking how many of these players do I want to see wearing our shirt again next season and do I trust the current manager to buy some better ones?

Today my answers are not many and probably not.

We must start to look interested at Crawley, do the basics, get tackles in or at least get bodies in the way, have a plan B and C, get the fans excited and build the foundations for August.

If that doesn’t happen in the last 10 games then Schofield has to go.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 20, 2023, 10:23:48 am by i_ateallthepies »
We could go there and win. No way will we get in the playoffs unfortunately, at the end of the season .
Crawley are a very poor side, but we are capable of our standard dropping to theirs.

I hope for a win. I would love us to go on a good run but our consistency just isn’t there. Yes win one or two in a very poor league, but not good enough to maintain good performances.

Sammy, given what we've been seeing recently, for our standard to be anything comparable to theirs ours will need to be raised.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 20, 2023, 10:50:44 am by steve@dcfd »
So according to Freepress Miller and Biggins not available for Crawley both will be having scans. Nelson on international duty Mitchell had a dislocated shoulder so he could be out for weeks. Ro Shaun not available for this game
So if Anderson is available and Olowu and Long then Tommy could play midfield.
It’s not looking good for the next two games at least

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 20, 2023, 11:23:53 am by selby »
 Just for a moment put yourself in the shoes of the Crawley manager or any other manager in this division in the lead up to playing us, and think about what information you would pass on to the players that you might think would help them to get a winning result against us. My information would be as follows.
   Doncaster have one way of playing with just one player playing up front. They like to play out from the back and draw attackers onto the defenders picking the short ball up from the keeper, but are not natural ball players, are slow and cumbersome and can be caught in possession, and their passing accuracy is suspect when under pressure.
  The mid field players have little movement when not in possession of the ball and do not show for the ball in space for the defenders to pass to on many occasions and can be dealt with collecting the ball, and again when they play the through ball the accuracy is poor and gives us chances to intercept the pass or catch the attacker in possession.  They also regularly don't pick up players just outside their penalty area when defending centrally 25 to 30 yards out and a number of times have given mid fielders time and space to shoot resulting in goals against them  this season from range.
  The back line are poor in wide positions especially their wide left defenders who are susceptible to the quick diagonal pass from mid field, are poor at stopping the centre coming in across goal from wide areas, the left side central defender is poor positionally and average in the air, and can be turned and outmuscled.  The wing backs shove up exposing space behind and get the wrong side of wingers trying to get forward.
  The mid field play lots of negative balls sideways or short passes wide or back into the back line, through balls are rare and mostly inaccurate and rarely reach the front attackers behind the attackers marker and are usually 50/50 balls, and apart from Biggins and Larkin are weak when not on the ball cannot tackle and can become anonymous quickly if being marked closely when on the ball.
  Miller can be quite dangerous when running onto the ball, but has a weakness playing the ball with his left foot especially on the run, so needs to be forced onto his left foot if challenged and blocked on his right.
  Molineux is the opposite , likes to cut inside from the right drop his shoulder and shoot with his left foot he needs forcing onto his right foot when on the run.
  Doncaster WILL play this way it being their only way of playing and insisted on.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 20, 2023, 11:29:41 am by selby »
 Steve@dcfc, if we play Long if Faulkner can be recalled then the idiots have really taken over the nut house.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 20, 2023, 11:33:46 am by steve@dcfd »
Steve@dcfc, if we play Long if Faulkner can be recalled then the idiots have really taken over the nut house.
I agree with that Selby but with Nelson missing two games this week. Anderson and Ro Shaun could be available this and maybe next week. I think the manager will leave it as it is. Wrong decision but one of many

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 20, 2023, 11:41:41 am by ncRover »
Any news on Biggins?

Midfield isn’t looking good.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 20, 2023, 11:57:38 am by steve@dcfd »
Any news on Biggins?

Midfield isn’t looking good.
Yes I have said above he’s out Tomorrow and having a scan

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 20, 2023, 12:13:37 pm by Campsall rover »
Just for a moment put yourself in the shoes of the Crawley manager or any other manager in this division in the lead up to playing us, and think about what information you would pass on to the players that you might think would help them to get a winning result against us. My information would be as follows.
   Doncaster have one way of playing with just one player playing up front. They like to play out from the back and draw attackers onto the defenders picking the short ball up from the keeper, but are not natural ball players, are slow and cumbersome and can be caught in possession, and their passing accuracy is suspect when under pressure.
  The mid field players have little movement when not in possession of the ball and do not show for the ball in space for the defenders to pass to on many occasions and can be dealt with collecting the ball, and again when they play the through ball the accuracy is poor and gives us chances to intercept the pass or catch the attacker in possession.  They also regularly don't pick up players just outside their penalty area when defending centrally 25 to 30 yards out and a number of times have given mid fielders time and space to shoot resulting in goals against them  this season from range.
  The back line are poor in wide positions especially their wide left defenders who are susceptible to the quick diagonal pass from mid field, are poor at stopping the centre coming in across goal from wide areas, the left side central defender is poor positionally and average in the air, and can be turned and outmuscled.  The wing backs shove up exposing space behind and get the wrong side of wingers trying to get forward.
  The mid field play lots of negative balls sideways or short passes wide or back into the back line, through balls are rare and mostly inaccurate and rarely reach the front attackers behind the attackers marker and are usually 50/50 balls, and apart from Biggins and Larkin are weak when not on the ball cannot tackle and can become anonymous quickly if being marked closely when on the ball.
  Miller can be quite dangerous when running onto the ball, but has a weakness playing the ball with his left foot especially on the run, so needs to be forced onto his left foot if challenged and blocked on his right.
  Molineux is the opposite , likes to cut inside from the right drop his shoulder and shoot with his left foot he needs forcing onto his right foot when on the run.
  Doncaster WILL play this way it being their only way of playing and insisted on.
If I was the Crawley manager and had done homework on us that’s exactly Brian what I wold be telling them.
They will think right we can win this and you know what they probably will. 

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 20, 2023, 12:35:32 pm by Silkscarf »
...Midfield isn’t looking good.

But when did it?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 20, 2023, 01:11:05 pm by ncRover »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 20, 2023, 02:42:03 pm by roversdude »
Maybe we should do a Bolton in this game

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 20, 2023, 03:11:50 pm by Donnywolf »
Anyone seen the Forecast ? Just seen BBC / Meteo and it's abysmal rain rain rain

Maybe they will fight to play us though this time ?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 20, 2023, 03:38:09 pm by steve@dcfd »
Well the players will start dropping out they’ve nothing to play for now. Manager can’t get them to play and playoffs are out now.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 21, 2023, 12:44:36 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Looking like it's going to be a threadbare matchday squad tomorrow so, not expecting anything from this game. Anything will be an achievement.

Not really a game we can judge Schofields team selection or overall competence.

Likely young shoulders will be called upon to bear the responsibility.of a first team start. Will be interesting to see how they perform in the face of adversity. Possibly the approach will be to keep it simple and try to do the basics well. If in doubt, Row Z.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 21, 2023, 03:53:27 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Faulkner needs to start, give him the opportunity. He’s been out on loan, he needs games and we need to see how good he can be.
You never give up on promotion while there is a chance but it’s unlikely.
I would go for

Moore

Faulkner.  Anderson.  Olowu

Brown.                                               Seaman

Close.       Ravenhill.   Rowe

Molyneux                                    Hurst

Lavery

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 21, 2023, 04:10:30 am by Campsall rover »
Looking like it's going to be a threadbare matchday squad tomorrow so, not expecting anything from this game. Anything will be an achievement.

Not really a game we can judge Schofields team selection or overall competence.

Likely young shoulders will be called upon to bear the responsibility.of a first team start. Will be interesting to see how they perform in the face of adversity. Possibly the approach will be to keep it simple and try to do the basics well. If in doubt, Row Z.
DBR I have a lot of respect for you. Your posts have always been sensible and level headed and have been one one the voices of reason on this forum for many a year.
But I simply don’t understand how you can in any way defend this total shambles we are witnessing at present.

Schofield is out of his depth. The players quite obviously have stopped listening to him and are not buying into his “process” as he keeps calling it.
The fact that so many players are suddenly going down injured at the present time also suggests a lack of belief in what’s going on both in training and the results on match days. Is it just a co incidence?

Admittedly there is a contradiction in what I have just said in the fact that Anderson, Hurst & Olowu have signed new contracts.
Maybe they know DS is going to be sacked at the end of the season and we are bringing in Neil Warnock as our next manager. Well maybe not. But a manager with a proper managerial CV at least.

This sh.t show cannot be allowed to go on any longer. Season ticket sales will be luck to hit 2000 for next season.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 04:23:25 am by Campsall rover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 21, 2023, 09:22:17 am by drfchound »
Faulkner needs to start, give him the opportunity. He’s been out on loan, he needs games and we need to see how good he can be.
I would go for

Moore

Lavery

There are 12 players in that line up.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 21, 2023, 09:30:02 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I would go for

Moore

Close.          Rowe

Lavery

I thought we needed the extra player. Must have been tired.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 21, 2023, 10:14:27 am by drfchound »
I would go for

Moore

Close.          Rowe

Lavery

It might give us a bit of an advantage.
The usual standard L2 ref probably wouldn’t notice.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 21, 2023, 10:46:50 am by steve@dcfd »
I would go for

Moore

Lavery

Take Ravenhill out the line up 12th man any way and I would go with that. Can we win with that side don’t know but it’s the best we’ve got

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 21, 2023, 11:54:57 am by StocktonRover »
I would go for

Moore

Close.          Rowe

Lavery

So you would take Miller out who has scored 2 in 2?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012