Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:27:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Dieng vs Lawlor  (Read 5022 times)

rich1471

• Forum Member
Re: Dieng vs Lawlor
« Reply #30 on September 22, 2019, 10:59:21 am by rich1471 »
Diengs did play well today , but when Stirling is fit who gets left out of the squad as we can only have 5 loans on any 1 match day a hard one to choose

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 22, 2019, 11:20:51 am by anton123 »
The 5 loans is going to be an issue but think it will be the new defender who doesn’t make the bench until January and hopefully we can sign diang on a permanent then there is no issue

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 22, 2019, 11:24:07 am by BillyStubbsTears »
  Cops, he cost us two points at Rochdale, stuck on his line while a nothing cross went in, the goal for Rotherham sailed in 40 yards while he did his Coco the clown falling down act, with that effort Tuesday that is why Darren Moore has made the change. Three poor goals to give away in different games, plus numerous other panics at the back in not that many games.
  He was given the chance to make the position his own, he has fluffed it again. He can pull off the fantastic reaction  save, but every team is going to put the ball right under his cross bar, because his weakness is coming and claiming a cross, much like the bloody big German we had.

Gertcha! When the paper boy's half an hour late.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 22, 2019, 01:02:39 pm by RoversAlias »
Diengs did play well today , but when Stirling is fit who gets left out of the squad as we can only have 5 loans on any 1 match day a hard one to choose

We'll have to worry about that as and when.

It could be different week to week depending on fitness, form or the style of opposition play.

Ennis and John are guaranteed squad selections at present. Sheaf is also an ever present Dieng could make himself indispensable too. Jury is certainly still out on Sterling and Daniels but depth is also a factor. We needed Daniels yesterday to shore up the defence against pressure late on.

One of them might get injured, although I hope not. It's good to have options and we aren't the only side with six loanees. Spurs are annoyed at Leeds because Jack Clarke hasn't got in the squad since they sent him back there on loan, but he's left out because they have five other loan players and they know Clarke won't be with them long-term.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 22, 2019, 01:19:35 pm by dknward2 »
Thought Daniels did well when he came on good option if needed for any injuries

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 22, 2019, 02:01:45 pm by Chris Black come back »
Has Louis Jones ever been on the bench for a league game? Maybe once or twice. Clearly Moore does not think he is ready to be the #2 to Lawlor (yet) so Dieng has to be on the bench. No other option.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 22, 2019, 02:04:21 pm by NickDRFC »
Has Louis Jones ever been on the bench for a league game? Maybe once or twice. Clearly Moore does not think he is ready to be the #2 to Lawlor (yet) so Dieng has to be on the bench. No other option.

Do you mean this season? As he had a long spell on the bench last year when Lawlor was injured.

Either way it’s irrelevant as he’s out on loan at Mickleover right now.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 22, 2019, 02:19:51 pm by RoversAlias »
He's been appearing on the bench for several seasons. When I was researching past meetings with Peterborough for the match preview last week, I saw that the only survivors in our squad from the game we lost 2-1 in March of 2016 were Coppinger and Louis Jones, who was backing up Stuckmann. I don't know if Marosi was injured at the time or something.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 22, 2019, 02:38:17 pm by 5 on Tour »
It's hard to say so early on, I think they both probably have a clanger in them, but generally speaking I think they're both quite decent goalkeepers overall.

Diengs distribution is clearly better than Lawlors though and for that reason I think he will play more this season if he stays beyond January.  Moore likes us playing from the back and Dieng is well suited to that.
He will have the shirt next week im sure after today.
It’s not ‘distribution’, it’s ‘decision making’.....allegedly.

Not really allegedly though is it? Distribution is the process of making something available. Lawlor has the ability to make the ball available. He doesn’t however have the correct decision making skills to make the ball available to the right person at the right time.

If I make a chocolate bar and put it in a package and then deliver it I’ve correctly distributed that product. However, my decision making was wrong and I’m selling it in a pet food shop. What was wrong? My distribution or my decision making to put it into a pet shop?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on September 22, 2019, 02:38:48 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Too early to compare dieng and Lawlor imo. I like Lawlor and he’s still a young keeper learning his trade. He’s made some fantastic saves .

Coming for crosses is a core skill for a goalkeeper, every keeper practices it during the warm-up for each game - including Lawlor.  It must be one of the most practiced training drills any keeper does.
Lawlor may still be considered a young keeper but in all of his time here he's shown no progress on that particular aspect of his game, I wouldn't hold my breath on him doing so in the future.
But having said that, it is still far too early to be making a judgement on who is best.  As already mentioned, on yesterday's showing, Dieng looks a bit overconfident with the ball at his feet and will surely get caught out if he continues like that.  I suspect though that unlike Lawlor, he will only need to get caught a couple of times before he learns.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 22, 2019, 02:51:22 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
For us on the bench in League games:
15/16 4
16/17 10
17/18 2
18/19 21
19/20 0

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 22, 2019, 04:28:42 pm by steve@dcfd »

Do you mean this season? As he had a long spell on the bench last year when Lawlor was injured.

Either way it’s irrelevant as he’s out on loan at Mickleover right now.

Yes Jones is on loan he’s played once and they lost, since then  he’s been on the bench. Now the U23 play in the PL cup against Portsmouth but is he available as Mickleover sports play aswell.

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on September 22, 2019, 04:59:22 pm by ZiggerZagger »
The 3rd time I've seen Deing play, sometimes he does give me heart attack moments when he has the ball at his feet. Yet 10 times out of 10 I'd pick him over Lawler. You only have to see how better the back four worked yesterday. Several times he came out for balls, then got big pats on the back for easing the pressure on them. Something that Lawler doesnt do, he oozes confidence in them, when a ball comes into the box they knew Deing would shout then come to collect it, whereas they have to clear everything that drops into the box when Lawler shouts for them to clear it. If Deing was in goal on Tuesday, Blackpool would not have scored. That's why Lawler will be on the bench for a while.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on September 22, 2019, 05:57:23 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Dieng has a better scoring record than Lawlor.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/loan-rangers-dieng-goal/

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 25, 2019, 09:58:19 am by graingrover »
Compare the interviews of these two recently on DROS and see where the self confidence lies just now .

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 25, 2019, 10:09:30 am by wing commander »
  Thing is that Lawlor just cant seem to nail down that spot for his own,no matter how many chances he gets under different managers,before long they look elsewhere...

I've said before Lawlor spent many years working with the best coaches in the world at City with the best facilities yet for me he hasn't developed from the player we signed.Maybe this is what it is with him now.

We've banged on about it,Darrens commented on it,coming for crosses and decision making for those is what lets him down terribly.Lawlor is a decent size lad whilst Dieng isn't the biggest goalkeeper yet you would be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks Lawlor is better at coming for those..

It's up to Lawlor to work it out,he surely must realise that is his weakest department and what needs working on most as does our gk coach..So you can only presume they are doing a lot of work on it even if we haven't seen that in his performances...

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on September 25, 2019, 10:19:55 am by selby »
 The biggest problem he has is he takes his eye off the ball and watches the players coming to attack the ball, and then tries to react to the situation, the same when he is on the line from corners, he is not proactive enough to make room for himself and is static.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 25, 2019, 10:36:36 am by wing commander »
  I agree with that but that is nothing new is it.It's always been his big problem.What worry's me about him is his failure to address it and improve it.Is that his inability to progress or poor coaching??

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 25, 2019, 12:44:50 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
In the olden days, like before around 2016, we used to have "a keeper" and a "reserve keeper". No messin with this having two keepers of more or less equivalant abilities - Marosi/Lawlor, Lawlor/Dieng. Pre season, most on here really get their knickers twisted if the reserve keeper's ability isn't v close to the No 1.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 12:47:35 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on September 25, 2019, 01:22:43 pm by drfchound »
Gary Woods v Neil Sullivan ?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on September 25, 2019, 01:26:54 pm by ravenrover »
Lets remember who Lawlor probably trained with at City Joe Hart, notice any similarities? Both godd shot stoppers but both rooted to their line. Maybe the goal keeping coach at City is to blame

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 25, 2019, 01:50:39 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The issue now is, if Dieng is preferred as the No 1, then DM will have to sacrifice another loanee for each game.

With Joe Wright now regaining fitness is it more likely Daniels will be omitted from the match day squad?

I wonder if his hand maybe forced now in trying to tie up Dieng on a permanent in January, or at least one of the other loanees.

Re Lawlor, if his instinct is not to come for crosses, no matter what a goalkeeping coach tries, he will always resort to instinct when under pressure. As a GK coach, I'd be in DM's ear and recommend we get shut when it's prudent to do so. He may not make a top class keeper but should  be able to make living out of it, just as Gary Woods has.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on September 25, 2019, 01:52:35 pm by RoversAlias »
I miss Sully. I always think the best scenario is an experienced leader of a goalie at the back of the team every week. Reliable, savvy. I know how lucky we were to have Sully for so long, he was a top class goalkeeper but we've never had that stability in the position since.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012