Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:04:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mr Whiteman  (Read 7064 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Mr Whiteman
« Reply #30 on January 22, 2020, 05:04:28 pm by drfchound »
I don’t know why we are having the comparison with Marquis, he didn’t want to be at Donny and made it quite clear where as Ben does.

To be fair though DVR, Ben might not want to stay if a club like Derby offer to triple his wages.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 22, 2020, 05:06:14 pm by selby »
Dingle we want what you get for Alex Mowatt if he goes to you, because that is who he will replace if you get rid of Mowatt, and you will want top dollar for him, and think you can get Whiteman for a song.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 22, 2020, 05:06:47 pm by Jonathan »
I don’t see Whiteman leaving in this window.

Equally I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the prospect of a club like ours cashing in on assets at the right time. What you’d hope and expect to see is the cycle of reinvestment. That takes time and forward planning, and with how long it takes us to make a signing I don’t think there’s any way that Whiteman will be leaving this month.

DINGLE

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 22, 2020, 05:09:08 pm by DINGLE »
Dingle we want what you get for Alex Mowatt if he goes to you, because that is who he will replace if you get rid of Mowatt, and you will want top dollar for him, and think you can get Whiteman for a song.

We’ll sell Mowatt for less than a million.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 22, 2020, 05:13:30 pm by IDM »
You won’t get Whiteman for that kind of loose change.!

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 22, 2020, 05:16:14 pm by craigdrfc »
Think the Blades have a fairly hefty sell on clause if I remember rightly from the time we managed to sign him.

wabtec

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 22, 2020, 05:18:27 pm by wabtec »
Dont panic,look how many times we have been told that transfers are hard to get over the line,even for lesser players,they just haven,t got time to sign him despite their manager working hard,the CEO working hard and everyone working hard.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 22, 2020, 05:20:15 pm by drfchound »
Think the Blades have a fairly hefty sell on clause if I remember rightly from the time we managed to sign him.

It does say as much further up the thread.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 22, 2020, 05:21:30 pm by Campsall rover »
Well, selling Marquis didn’t do much for us, did it?
He hasn’t had much opportunity yet to spend any of that money Alan.

He has now had a good time to evaluate the squad and decide what and where he needs to add.
Deals will be done if not this month then in the summer Alan. That is a certainty.

If all the loans go back to their parent clubs which is possible ( hope not of course ) then DM will have to bring in 6/7 players as a minimum or we will be struggling to fill the bench.
I hope we can get Deing and Sheaf on permanents but i can’t see John or Ennis coming back unless they are loan deals again.

DM will be looking for a strong squad of 18/19 players for next season and the balance will be development / youth team players.
Amos, Blaney and Watters i think will be part of the 18/19 players next season.

So Alan be patient we will get those players we are all desperate to see. We will  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:50:14 pm by Campsall rover »

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 22, 2020, 05:34:27 pm by WarwickRover »
Any club meeting his “buy out” clause and he wants to go then he’ll be gone. Let’s hope the club negotiated a premium buy out value ..... when he signed a new contract

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on January 22, 2020, 05:36:16 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We don't need to sell him but there's always a bigger fish so we must always prepare ourselves for unwanted approaches.

Those approaches will need to be serious though and be discussed with Ben before allowing him to talk to other clubs.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 22, 2020, 05:44:20 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I don’t know why we are having the comparison with Marquis, he didn’t want to be at Donny and made it quite clear where as Ben does.

To be fair though DVR, Ben might not want to stay if a club like Derby offer to triple his wages.

Maybe hound but different circumstances, Ben's an oportunity, Marquis just wanted off.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 22, 2020, 05:47:12 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Any club meeting his “buy out” clause and he wants to go then he’ll be gone. Let’s hope the club negotiated a premium buy out value ..... when he signed a new contract
some Tottenham defender that is still at the club had a buy out clause .... That froze x days before the premiership transfer window in Aug/Sep closed and presumably opened again in this transfer window.

Next time we agree a buy out clause for a Rovers  player for Christ's sake insert a similar clause so there is time for a replacement

Even have a higher buy out figure for those last"x" days .... At Tottenham levy never misses  a trick
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:51:02 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 22, 2020, 05:49:15 pm by tyke1962 »
He won't be coming to Barnsley , firstly we wouldn't pay the kind of money Rovers quite rightly would want him .

Secondly looking at the league table tonight we aren't exactly a great catch , quite likely he'd be back in league one next season .

Never going to happen .

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on January 22, 2020, 05:51:08 pm by since-1969 »
We don't need to sell him but there's always a bigger fish so we must always prepare ourselves for unwanted approaches.

Those approaches will need to be serious though and be discussed with Ben before allowing him to talk to other clubs.
Everyone is for sale and money talks . I would imagine Whiteman has a get out clause . Let’s face we’re not splashing the cash so the right amount could persuade the club to part company as clearly we do need the money .

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 22, 2020, 06:24:23 pm by anton123 »
The gap between the championship and lge 1 is getting bigger each year

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on January 22, 2020, 07:29:48 pm by ravenrover »

Everyone is for sale and money talks . I would imagine Whiteman has a get out clause . Let’s face we’re not splashing the cash so the right amount could persuade the club to part company as clearly we do need the money .
On what are you basing your assumption that "clearly we do need the money"?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 22, 2020, 07:57:33 pm by since-1969 »

On what are you basing your assumption that "clearly we do need the money"?
Has there been any signs that we have any ?

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 22, 2020, 07:59:20 pm by godlike1 »
I would suggest that this is the assessment of most fans not involved in the internal goings on at rovers in order to get players who could give the team the depth and quality it lacks in some key areas.

Although I've learnt more the lack of information coming out of the club to wider public to suggest otherwise is deafening its so quiet

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 22, 2020, 08:22:45 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Sheaf would be Whiteman's replacement.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 22, 2020, 08:38:34 pm by no eyed deer »

Lol..WUM

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 22, 2020, 08:46:41 pm by steve@dcfd »
If Whiteman went and Sheaf went into a more deep lying Role we would need a player with more attacking qualities and would replace Whitemans goals.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 22, 2020, 08:48:31 pm by selby »
  Williams from Rochdale, and no doubt others on here will have seen players who they fancy could do a job for us, as well as Sheaf, who I would try and sign permanently anyway.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 23, 2020, 07:36:38 am by steve@dcfd »

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 23, 2020, 08:32:50 am by The Beast »
The gap between the championship and lge 1 is getting bigger each year
Agreed, the gap between the Prem and the Champ gets bigger, the gap between the Champ and League 1 gets bigger and the gap between the top of the Prem and the rest of the Prem gets bigger. There’s just been a report out saying how Europe’s top leagues have become less competitive over the last few years. The rich clubs just get greedier, there’s no thought about the good of the game. The trickle down effect doesn’t work, never has. The days where you can do what did: Conference to Championship are numbered if not gone. Why would Whiteman want to play for us when he can play for Derby reserves and earn 3 times as much? Call me a cynic  :suicide:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on January 23, 2020, 08:40:24 am by Donnywolf »
No cynic - its the truth and it has been like this for ages and ages

The only way we could get higher is via a rich investor wanting to take a provincial Town team to the upper echelons.

Its a shame but the "layers" are now so well defined and of course the rich get richer to the detriment of the rest

Man U yesterday expressing a 30 MILLION pound interest in a 16 yo from Birmingham shows how far things are stacked against other less well off Teams. What next ? The Big 6 paying pregnant ladies a fee for their as yet unborn Child for a Teams Academy if they prove good enough ?

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on January 23, 2020, 08:44:28 am by The Beast »

The only way we could get higher is via a rich investor wanting to take a provincial Town team to the upper echelons.

Its a shame but the "layers" are now so well defined and of course the rich get richer to the detriment of the rest

Man U yesterday expressing a 30 MILLION pound interest in a 16 yo from Birmingham shows how far things are stacked against other less well off Teams. What next ? The Big 6 paying pregnant ladies a fee for their as yet unborn Child for a Teams Academy if they prove good enough ?

Yeah saw that, Jude Bellingham, £30m and couldn’t even find him on Football Index  :ohmy:

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on January 23, 2020, 08:47:55 am by phil old leake »
It’s ok cashing in on him as long as it’s not on 31st January so we’re left in the lurch

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 23, 2020, 08:54:53 am by NickDRFC »
I know it’s all only paper talk at the moment but I’ve no doubt that there will be Championship interest in him. He’s on a long enough contract that his value shouldn’t change much between now and summer (in fact it might even go up with a strong second half of the season). We should only even consider an offer if a) it is a big offer and b) we have a replacement to come in immediately. Gomes or Blair can fill the gap for the odd game but there’s no way they’re good enough to provide the platform there for the rest of the season.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on January 23, 2020, 08:57:55 am by IDM »

Re Billingham, that value indicates what he may bring to the buying club, not what he has achieved at Birmingham.

Still a ridiculous price..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012