Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 09:56:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Have the players realised?  (Read 2285 times)

5minstogo

• Forum Member
Have the players realised?
« on May 14, 2010, 11:36:03 am by 5minstogo »
That this as far as they can go with Rovers.

I've just listened to Gaz Robbo's interview on the Derby OS.

\"It was time for a fresh start\"

\"Its a new challenge\"

and in response to if he had gone a bit stale at Rovers

\"Maybe, it sometimes happens when your playing with the same players day in day out\"

He was full of praise for SOD and ROK but I'm not entirely convinced his decision was purely cash motivated (not that I'd expect him to say that on the Derby OS anyway)

This comes on the back of Oster's and Copps' comments within the last few months that Rovers need to inject some finance to progress.

God I hate the close season

;)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re:Have the players realised?
« Reply #1 on May 14, 2010, 12:08:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
5minstogo wrote:

No. Players realise that they can get significantly higher wages elsewhere. It's nothing to do with \"going as far as you can\". It's everything to do with, \"filling your pockets.\"

It's a funny old game int it? This time last season, Roberts was on a downward trajectory. Found lacking regularly at this level, lacking pace, physical presence and a weak link when he (rarely) played.

He's had a good season, no doubt, but it's unlikely he'll get any better from here on in. He'll still be targeted by big bombs down the right wing and what pace he has will drain away over the next couple of years. If Derby are prepared to double his wages in this context, it really shows you how difficult it is for us to compete. And, to be honest, how profligate some of the bigger clubs still are, recession or no recession.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 14, 2010, 12:10:06 pm by 5minstogo »
So who is more greedy? The players for wanting more money, or the fans for wanting success?

NorthNorfolkRover

« Reply #3 on May 14, 2010, 01:50:24 pm by NorthNorfolkRover »
Good question but many fans play(ed) sport themselves and relate to sporting endevour most as not everyone can be a winner.Does anyone really think Newcastle achieved the most last season ? GR should be professionally proud of his achievments just as Blackpool should be. Realistically what can he achieve at Derby ? No chance ever of an automatic just the roulette wheel of the play offs.
As for the question Rovers fans aren't greedy just frustrated that in the season we can be play off contenders but in the close season look more like League 2.

5minstogo wrote:
So who is more greedy? The players for wanting more money, or the fans for wanting success?

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 14, 2010, 04:30:25 pm by eastender »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
5minstogo wrote:

No. Players realise that they can get significantly higher wages elsewhere. It's nothing to do with \"going as far as you can\". It's everything to do with, \"filling your pockets.\"

No player in his right mind is going to say \"i'm only here because you offered me a shed load of cash\" in any official interview for his new club.
He's going to say what the new club and fans want to hear, the same old \"the managers ambitious\" ,\"I need a new challenge\",blah blah blah.

Shackell on Barnsley

\"I am delighted to be here. I feel that this is the right place to be at this stage of my career.

\"I met with Mark Robins and he is really ambitious and wants to push on with Barnsley.

\"He was keen to get me in and his enthusiasm, ambition and drive really made this feel like the right place for me. I am ambitious; I want to be pushing on in my career and I feel this is the right place to do that\".

Roberts on Derby

\"It is a big step to come and play for a big club like Derby County.

\"Working for Nigel Clough appealed to me as well.

\"It was a big decision to leave Doncaster and behind me I leave four fantastic years.

\"Doncaster is a great club with excellent staff, but I wanted a new challenge at this stage of my career.

\"I just felt it was time to move on and what Derby County has to offer in terms of facilities and support stood out.

\"To play in front of 30,000 fans every week will be fantastic.

\"I was also impressed with what the manager had to say when I met him, he has plans to take Derby forwards and hopefully we can do well next year.

\"All round is a great challenge for me and I can't wait for pre-season training to start.\"

Utter Bullsh#t.

No mention of money anywhere, yet SOD said Shackell and his agent couldn't believe the offer Barnsley made, and by all accounts Roberts as doubled his wage,good luck to them both,.but I strongly believe that if we had (wrongly) matched their offers both players would be wearing the hoops this season.

As Abba said ..MONEY MONEY MONEY  :)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 14, 2010, 05:12:00 pm by River Don »
Translation

Shackell on Barnsley

\"I am delighted with my new pay deal and I feel where ever i can earn this kind of money is the right place to be at this stage of my career.

\"I met with Mark Robins and he is really ambitious and said something about wanting to push on with Barnsley.

\"He was keen to get me in and his enthusiasm, ambition and the wage packet really made this feel like the right place for me. I am ambitious; I want to be pushing on in my career and I feel this is the right place to earn as much as possible\".

Roberts on Derby

\"It is a big step to come and play for a big club like Derby County.

\"The prospect of working for Nigel Clough is a reasonable excuse as well.

\"It was a big decision to leave Doncaster and behind me I leave four fantastic years.

\"Doncaster is a great club with excellent staff, but I wanted a to maximise my earnings at this late stage of my career.

\"I just felt it was time to move on and what Derby County has to offer in financial terms stood out.

\"To play in front of 30,000 fans every week will be fantastic too.

\"I was also impressed with what the manager had to say when I met him, I was very pleased with his offer. He has plans to take Derby forwards as well and hopefully we can do well next year.

\"All round this is a great challenge for me and I can't wait for pre-season training to start.\"

The_Rooky

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 14, 2010, 07:04:42 pm by The_Rooky »
eastender wrote:

\"To play in front of 30,000 fans every week will be fantastic.\"

...wonder if he'll be saying the same when they start getting on his back when he's having a 'mare?  :laugh:

No doubt, Roberts has had a good season - probably the best out of the 4 years he was here.  However, how many would have been moaning if he'd left at the end of last season? - I suspect not that many!! Form is a curious creature - nobody really knows where it comes from or where it goes - and sometimes the close season doesn't always help players.  You only have to look at sides finishing one season as contenders and then really struggle the next.

I know SOD/ROK will have gone through this potential scenario, but I just wonder if they might wish they'd offered McDaid a one-year deal?  I know he's been out for a while, but he's still young and always gave 100%. A 12 month contract wouldn't have been too much of a risk in my eyes.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012