Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:38:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A question for Theresa May,Nigel Farage and Jeremy Corbyn  (Read 4593 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Re: A question for Theresa May,Nigel Farage and Jeremy Corbyn
« Reply #30 on June 19, 2017, 10:37:11 pm by wilts rover »
You reckon. The question from Herbert was what does our financial contribution to the EU get us. It gets us all those things I have listed and probably more I haven't.

If you want to speculate which of these we may or may not want to keep or are bargaining on - thats up to you. But nothing I have listed is speculation, that is what we get from the EU - unless you wish to prove otherwise. I have handily linked to where I took the information from for you.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on June 19, 2017, 10:53:46 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Wilts what we end up with is pure speculation simple as now matter what anybody says

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 19, 2017, 11:19:38 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
When we do eventually leave the EU they will certainly miss our huge financial contribution.  In return we will miss....?

Visa free travel across Europe.
The ability to live and work in the EU and receive health insurance.
The ability to retire in an EU country and receive a pension.
Access to a single market of 500 million people worth £16.6 trillion per year (23% of the global economy)
3.1 million jobs directly linked to EU exports.
4-5% of GDP (£62-£78 billion) per year directly linked to EU trade (as defined by the CBI).
Past EU membership has reckoned to have increased GDP by 10%.
£1.2 trillion inward stock investment.
Agricultural subsidy for 500 000 farmers, the people they employ and the steep rise in some food prices this loss would entail.
Coverage by EU consumer law if you are on holiday in EU.
Links to EU Police and Security Information.
University and science links and joint projects.
Collaborative projects such as the Eurofighter.
The risk of EU owned companies - Airbus, BMW - pulling out of manufacturing in the UK.
Protection of beaches and coastal waters under EU Bathing directive.
Air Quality under EU plans to cut CO2 emissions.
EU regulations to cut polluting industries, water and acid rain.
Foreign multinationals using the UK as a tax haven

According to the CBI:- The UK’s net contribution to the EU budget is around €7.3bn, or 0.4% of GDP. As a comparison that’s around a quarter of what the UK spends on the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, and less than an eighth of the UK’s defence spend.  The £116 per person net contribution is less than that from Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany and the Netherlands.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-what-has-european-union-done-for-us-david-cameron-brexit-a6850626.html
http://www.cbi.org.uk/insight-and-analysis/our-global-future/factsheets/factsheet-2-benefits-of-eu-membership-outweigh-costs/
https://fullfact.org/europe/economic-costs-and-benefits-eu-membership/

but at least we wont have to put up with straight bananas anymore...

That's some list Wilts - thanks for sharing

I think that Dagenham is right that we have no idea at all what we'll end up with. I voted leave after I read an article describing how the EU had evolved pretty much uncontrollably from an economic organisation to a political one. If it was all about commerce and co-operation I'd have certainly voted remain, however emphasis is now on political union rather than economic and I'm very uncomfortable with that. For example, the fact that if there's any conflict between parliament and a Brussels institution then Brussels automatically takes precedence leaves me cold.

I'm still not convinced leaving is the right thing to do though, only time will tell I guess.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on June 20, 2017, 09:55:56 am by selby »
When we are 40th will the Germans, French, Romanians, and Belgians, like the British taking their jobs or begging in their cities and taking advantage of their great social payments.
   And will the poor British workers blend in with local customs,dress,etc in China India and Pakistan.
   The one thing that will not change is money being made by the same banking families though.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 20, 2017, 04:36:34 pm by wilts rover »

No problem Herbert, glad it was useful.

I have gone the other way to you, in that I voted to remain but I think we should now leave - it has divided the country too much and that is the last thing we need now.

However what the list of benefits should show is how it would be madness to leave without a deal. Yes fine we can leave the political institution of the EU - but we should certainly be aiming to have the maximum economic benefits of working with it. For which there will be a cost.

And that's where Daggers is right - we certainly dont know what we will end up with - my worry is that with David Davies and Liam Fox leading the negotiations we will end up with something worse.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 20, 2017, 09:18:46 pm by idler »
What we need are reputable people that are honest, fair, trustworthy and credible.
They will be thin on the ground in Westminster and if we can't put our trust in them how can the EU?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 20, 2017, 10:40:08 pm by BobG »
It looks almost impossible for this government to deliver any Brexit at all. There are going to be some very, very interesting times ahead. And whatever way things go, it is likely to be trouble. If the Maybot goes full steam ahead for some sort of hard Brexit, she will be guaranteed the support of the Brexiteer types. But she will lose the moderates of both major parties as well as the Lib Dems. if she bends in the wind a bit, like Hammond is suggesting, she will have the DUP at her throat and the likes of Farage, the blond haired buffoon, Rentagob Ian Duncan Smith and the press all screaming blue murder.  She is going to find it immensely difficult to get ANY deal approved.  And if that happens, we really would be in the deepest of deep doo doo.

Possible futures we might see: Boris Johnson as PM on the grounds that he will be more likely to carry the middle ground while maintaining a hard stance, and, keep the Tories in power. Or the Maybot carrying on and suffering catastrophic defeat as she fails to get any deal agreed. That would lead to a general election and an exit with no deal at all. Third option, and the one that usually happens, some kind of fudge. But I'm damned if I can think what sort of fudge might have a chance of working. Bribe some folk I suppose with peerages or give some positions in the Cabinet so they have to follow cabinet responsibility rules; propaganda maybe?  I still can't see even a slightly workable solution for this government though.

BobG

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on June 20, 2017, 11:47:27 pm by hoolahoop »
When we do eventually leave the EU they will certainly miss our huge financial contribution.  In return we will miss....?

Visa free travel across Europe.
The ability to live and work in the EU and receive health insurance.
The ability to retire in an EU country and receive a pension.
Access to a single market of 500 million people worth £16.6 trillion per year (23% of the global economy)
3.1 million jobs directly linked to EU exports.
4-5% of GDP (£62-£78 billion) per year directly linked to EU trade (as defined by the CBI).
Past EU membership has reckoned to have increased GDP by 10%.
£1.2 trillion inward stock investment.
Agricultural subsidy for 500 000 farmers, the people they employ and the steep rise in some food prices this loss would entail.
Coverage by EU consumer law if you are on holiday in EU.
Links to EU Police and Security Information.
University and science links and joint projects.
Collaborative projects such as the Eurofighter.
The risk of EU owned companies - Airbus, BMW - pulling out of manufacturing in the UK.
Protection of beaches and coastal waters under EU Bathing directive.
Air Quality under EU plans to cut CO2 emissions.
EU regulations to cut polluting industries, water and acid rain.
Foreign multinationals using the UK as a tax haven

According to the CBI:- The UK’s net contribution to the EU budget is around €7.3bn, or 0.4% of GDP. As a comparison that’s around a quarter of what the UK spends on the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, and less than an eighth of the UK’s defence spend.  The £116 per person net contribution is less than that from Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany and the Netherlands.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-what-has-european-union-done-for-us-david-cameron-brexit-a6850626.html
http://www.cbi.org.uk/insight-and-analysis/our-global-future/factsheets/factsheet-2-benefits-of-eu-membership-outweigh-costs/
https://fullfact.org/europe/economic-costs-and-benefits-eu-membership/

but at least we wont have to put up with straight bananas anymore...

Total b*llocks nobody and I mean nobody at this point in time can say what Brexit means and what if any agreement will be reached, we may carry on contributing to a lesser extent to keep some "benefits"  we may we may not 
Politicians don't know at this point (although those involved may have a fair inkling) the press don't know, I don't know, Glyn and Wilts despite their claims don't know  :)  :)

Pure speculation the lot of it

Only you know it isn't bollox really Daggers. £ 10 billion p.a. for that net of Development projects that would never have been carried out in Donny by a Westminster Govt.

It may shock you to know that Donny alone in this region was in receipt of over £ 150,000,000 worth of grants. Doncaster is a vastly different borough than 40 years ago .........look around you .

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 20, 2017, 11:52:36 pm by hoolahoop »
Wilts what we end up with is pure speculation simple as now matter what anybody says

It's not speculation it's fact, we want in those things, ANY of those things we pay for it simples . They are ALL EU projects and one's we are putting on the table when we are going all in in this poker game. In fact better still why don't we just keep playing Russian Roulette by ourselves

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 21, 2017, 12:00:04 am by Dagenham Rover »

It's not speculation it's fact, we want in those things, ANY of those things we pay for it simples . They are ALL EU projects and one's we are putting on the table when we are going all in in this poker game. In fact better still why don't we just keep playing Russian Roulette by ourselves

Hoola all I am saying is nobody and I mean nobody  knows what we will end up with deal or no deal anyway I'll chuck you a pm tomorrow need a pint together ar lass very ill again

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on June 21, 2017, 12:00:55 am by hoolahoop »

No problem Herbert, glad it was useful.

I have gone the other way to you, in that I voted to remain but I think we should now leave - it has divided the country too much and that is the last thing we need now.

However what the list of benefits should show is how it would be madness to leave without a deal. Yes fine we can leave the political institution of the EU - but we should certainly be aiming to have the maximum economic benefits of working with it. For which there will be a cost.

And that's where Daggers is right - we certainly dont know what we will end up with - my worry is that with David Davies and Liam Fox leading the negotiations we will end up with something worse.

I'm surprised that you now think it is better to leave having produced a list like that , incidentally those that worry about being ruled from Brussels/Berlin had better reconsider their opposition to the EU ; better that than being dictated to by Washington and Beijing.

Sorry I think you ''Leavers '' are basically mad others sadly are still fighting WW2.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on June 21, 2017, 12:09:13 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Total b*llocks nobody and I mean nobody at this point in time can say what Brexit means and what if any agreement will be reached, we may carry on contributing to a lesser extent to keep some "benefits"  we may we may not 
Politicians don't know at this point (although those involved may have a fair inkling) the press don't know, I don't know, Glyn and Wilts despite their claims don't know  :)  :)

Pure speculation the lot of it

I'd like to know what claims you think I've made. Then we'll see what 'total b*llocks' really looks like.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on June 21, 2017, 12:12:36 am by hoolahoop »

Hoola all I am saying is nobody and I mean nobody  knows what we will end up with deal or no deal anyway I'll chuck you a pm tomorrow need a pint together ar lass very ill again

You have pm :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012