Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:38:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Pressing  (Read 2185 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Pressing
« on December 03, 2017, 07:07:29 pm by RoversAlias »
I'd like to point out how damn good our pressing was today, for the entire first half particularly and after going 2-0 up too. We got right on their uncultured back three and throughout the game we forced a lot of mistakes, two of which led to goals. Thought it was our best display of this tactic all season, certainly since the Blackburn game, and Marquis, Rowe and Blair were focal points of that.

We'll win a lot more games playing like that than not.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Pressing
« Reply #1 on December 03, 2017, 08:10:38 pm by Padge_DRFC »
On top of the pressing I feel we attack much quicker when Blair is in the team. He is very direct and gets opponents defenders facing their own goal which they hate. Most of the season our attacking play is too slow and makes it easy to defend against when the ball finally ends up in the box

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 03, 2017, 08:14:39 pm by Filo »
When Blair knows he has the cover of a fullback behind him he looks a much more dangerous player

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 03, 2017, 09:01:00 pm by RedJ »
Funny that, a winger being more effective when played in a position resembling winger than when he's shoehorned into a wingback role...

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 03, 2017, 09:09:09 pm by dknward2 »
Imagine how good we will be when all our injured players return

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 03, 2017, 09:30:17 pm by Filo »
Funny that, a winger being more effective when played in a position resembling winger than when he's shoehorned into a wingback role...

I was trying to be polite to say the same thing 😀😀

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 03, 2017, 09:30:55 pm by drfchound »

Exactly, which is why we always look better with a back four instead of the blasted three and wing backs.
Defensively we were excellent today.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 04, 2017, 06:48:22 pm by i_ateallthepies »
[quote author=drfchound link=topic=264450.msg743869#msg743869 date=1512336655

Exactly, which is why we always look better with a back four instead of the blasted three and wing backs.
[/quote]

Not sure I can agree with the defence comment hound.  The number of times they got the ball to their wingers stood in acres of space who went on to put dangerous low balls across our six yard box was frightening.  The fact they didn't manage to convert one and we managed not to poke one home for them was our good fortune more than good defending.

A clean sheet though can't be sniffed at and in every other respect it was a very good performance.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 04, 2017, 09:43:11 pm by drfchound »
[quote author=drfchound link=topic=264450.msg743869#msg743869 date=1512336655

Not sure I can agree with the defence comment hound.  The number of times they got the ball to their wingers stood in acres of space who went on to put dangerous low balls across our six yard box was frightening.  The fact they didn't manage to convert one and we managed not to poke one home for them was our good fortune more than good defending.

A clean sheet though can't be sniffed at and in every other respect it was a very good performance.
[/quote]

Pies, they only really had one good spell in the game and at that time they did get some crosses in, but they didn’t get many more in during the other 70 minutes or so.
I would dare to suggest that we got in as many, if not more, good balls into the box over the game.
As you will be aware, most teams in most games get quite a few balls into the box.
It is how well you deal with them that is more important and TBF we did very well in preventing shots getting to Lawlor.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012