Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 03:06:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Interesting Factoid re next season  (Read 2967 times)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Interesting Factoid re next season
« on May 08, 2018, 12:26:15 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Mentioned a while ago, but with the relevant promotion/relegation issues now known it is interesting that of the 6 clubs currently in the Football League that we have played and never beaten in a Football League match, we will play no fewer than 5 of them next season:

Sunderland
Burton
Wycombe
Accrington Stanley (not including old resuts prior to being wound up in 1962)
AFC Wimbledon

Of those five we have beaten Sunderland in the FA Cup, Accrington Stanley in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, and Burton in both the Conference and JPT.

Newcastle United are the 6th team we have played and not beaten in FL matches.

We have never played Chelsea or Forest Green Rovers in a Football League fixture.

Time to set a few records right  :scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Re: Interesting Factoid re next season
« Reply #1 on May 08, 2018, 12:31:56 pm by bobjimwilly »
great stats yet again Dutch!

Brian Young

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 08, 2018, 12:39:05 pm by Brian Young »
Looks good already for next season ... get our excuses in early. Lol

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 08, 2018, 02:48:35 pm by craigdrfc »
We should have beat Newcastle at SJP when we had the chance. Curse you Martin Woods!!!

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 08, 2018, 03:36:18 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Actually, I seem to recall that we did beat Newcastle once. If my 74-year old memory serves me correctly, in about 1954 we sold our superb centre half, Bill Patterson, for £20k+ to the Magpies. Part of the deal was that they agreed to play us in a friendly at Belle Vue.
A wonderful game, in front of about 15k+ supporters. They sent a quite strong team........but we stuffed them 7-2!   :scarf:

I can still recall that wonderful atmosphere on that memorable Tuesday evening!

Any further stats available for that game, Dutch U.?
Thanks.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 08, 2018, 03:58:52 pm by graingrover »
I was at that game too Wilts. Patterson had his début for Magpies against Man U and I recall that he had a nightmate  against Tommy Taylor. My uncle was a cop in Newcastle and took me to the game. BP was a very classy cemtre half in our team of Gregg Makepeace Graham Teasedale Patterson Brown Mooney Tindill McMorran Jeffrey Walker.

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 08, 2018, 04:10:34 pm by DaveDRFC »
We beat Newcastle in a friendly a lot more recently than that, summer 2008 I think it was we won 1-0 at the Keepmoat. Jos van Nieuwstadt played his first game for us and we also had an African (I think) centre back on trial, can't for the life of me remember his name but he got a cult following amongst Rovers fans that pre-season!

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 08, 2018, 04:45:58 pm by glosterred »
We beat Newcastle in a friendly a lot more recently than that, summer 2008 I think it was we won 1-0 at the Keepmoat. Jos van Nieuwstadt played his first game for us and we also had an African (I think) centre back on trial, can't for the life of me remember his name but he got a cult following amongst Rovers fans that pre-season!

Did Stuart(?) Elliott score the goal in that game.

COYR

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 08, 2018, 05:03:10 pm by Ldr »

COYR

My son (a geordie) was Donny mascot for that game

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 08, 2018, 05:44:55 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Rachid Bouhenna?

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 08, 2018, 07:30:16 pm by TheFunk »
Didn't one of the ball boys come on as sub.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 08, 2018, 07:33:06 pm by Superspy »
We should have beat Newcastle at SJP when we had the chance. Curse you Martin Woods!!!

Watch your heads everybody, it's still coming down.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 08, 2018, 07:44:47 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Actually, I seem to recall that we did beat Newcastle once. If my 74-year old memory serves me correctly, in about 1954 we sold our superb centre half, Bill Patterson, for £20k+ to the Magpies. Part of the deal was that they agreed to play us in a friendly at Belle Vue.
A wonderful game, in front of about 15k+ supporters. They sent a quite strong team........but we stuffed them 7-2!   :scarf:

Thanks.

From Bluff & Watson's History of Rovers book I can see that the match was on 18 October 1954; Johnny Mooney 3,Jimmy Walker 2, Bert Tindill and Alick Jeffrey scored the goals and 16479 were at Belle Vue to see it all.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 08, 2018, 07:47:52 pm by Dutch Uncle »

COYR

He did. By the way the opponents that day were officaily described as 'Newcastle XI'.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 08, 2018, 09:03:03 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

Thanks.

From Bluff & Watson's History of Rovers book I can see that the match was on 18 October 1954; Johnny Mooney 3,Jimmy Walker 2, Bert Tindill and Alick Jeffrey scored the goals and 16479 were at Belle Vue to see it all.

Brilliant, Dutch; many thanks!

18 October 1954, eh? The day after my 11th birthday! Best 24 hours of my life.......ok, perhaps not, but you know what I mean!

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 08, 2018, 09:08:40 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
I was at that game too Wilts. Patterson had his début for Magpies against Man U and I recall that he had a nightmate  against Tommy Taylor. My uncle was a cop in Newcastle and took me to the game. BP was a very classy cemtre half in our team of Gregg Makepeace Graham Teasedale Patterson Brown Mooney Tindill McMorran Jeffrey Walker.

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

I cannot imagine what a nightmate is, graingrover!  :lol:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012