Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:00:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A bit of promoting the Rovers  (Read 3458 times)

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
A bit of promoting the Rovers
« on July 17, 2012, 04:16:04 pm by FuzzyDuck »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-hwhwsmAa8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sadly, the big-gobbed Englishman on the terraces of FC Winti has been noticed! Unfortunately, I had to share the stage with some Leeds fan but still got DRFC covered. It's a bit of fun anyway, pi55heads on parade  :P

On a broader note, do DRFC do a podcast? It would be good if that could!

Anyway enjoy!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: A bit of promoting the Rovers
« Reply #1 on July 17, 2012, 05:17:03 pm by RobTheRover »
Fuzzy,  thanks for that.

If someone (ie,  you!  ;) )  were to do a podcast,  what would you suppose it would contain?   Interviews,  injury news,  match previews,  etc?   Feel free to add to the list.  This is something I think could have some legs....

Cheers

Rob

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 17, 2012, 06:00:04 pm by silent majority »
The Podcast of the Year award has become a very popular one at the FSF annual awards evening. This years winner was a very popular Anfield Wrap as seen and heard here;

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 17, 2012, 07:40:39 pm by FuzzyDuck »
Slight problem with the commute to amd from Switzerland every week, but otherwise I'd give it a go!  Its not a one-man job though and you do need a bit of access.

I think you can see that Schützi TV is very professional.  Thomas, who runs it is a professional TV cameraman / reporter.  In answer to your question on content the answer is all of the above.  Articles on players, fans, matches, fans injuries, press reaction.  Its also interesting to see the game from different viewpoints, e.g the Press Box, the supporters, the coach, the physio, the chairman etc.

To be honest, the key is creativity.  Look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzZNtuo98Dc&feature=relmfu

That's Schützi TV's coverage of last season's cup 1/4 final win over FC St. Gallen.  You can see that he doesn't just show the game.  That's the clever bit.

Look at the article I'm in.  He did it by miking us up and filming us for a match, and then doing an interview with us on a separate evening.  There's over 2 hours of video that's gone to make those 10 minutes.  Big job!  but it doesn't mean that there is no Donny fan that is not up to it

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 17, 2012, 08:15:44 pm by RobTheRover »
Thanks Fuzzy.

I wasn't suggesting you come over from Suisseville but I do have a couple of ideas which might be beyond my direction,  but could be right up yours.

I'll pm you later

Rob

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 17, 2012, 08:40:50 pm by FuzzyDuck »
Sure - if I can help.  There are now 40+ episodes of Schützi TV, I've no problem going through and nicking some ideas!

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 17, 2012, 10:11:27 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Very enjoyable indeed!

Beer / football and passion!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 17, 2012, 10:28:11 pm by BobG »
Everything you ever post, create or show, Fuzzy, fills me with emotion. Bloody brilliant these links. We're light years behind aren't we? You are the only guy I've ever seen who has created quality Rovers videos...

BobG

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 18, 2012, 06:16:05 am by FuzzyDuck »
That's very nice of you to say so Bob, but on this occasion it's all down to Thomas and Schützi TV. His idea to film us (who'd have thought of that), his camerawork, filming, editing, production - the lot.

On the videos I've done, I have to admit losing a bit of heart.  The problem is that none of the footage is mine so it's a matter of time before somebody (I suspect either premium TV or the Football League) asks YouTube to remove it.  Then it's all for nothing.  I tried putting something on the Blog but then I'm too restricted on file size.

The Swiss football season is now up and running again (Winti started with a 5:0 win, away at Lorcarno, so the bar has been set for the Rovers).  I'm going down to the first home game on Saturday and will be back on the tour of Swiss grounds.  I'm thinking of blogging more about Winti for my Swiss mates. I'll post what I do on here so Donny see it too.

Are we miles behind?  Frankly, yes.  Winti are a 2nd flight Swiss Team. Home attendances are 2000 to 2500, which is respectable.  In terms of size, I'd say upper-conference.  Their merchandising knocks Rovers into a cocked hat in many ways.  For instance, they have a small area in the Winterthur branch of Manor, the Swiss equivalent of House of Fraser; last season there were at least 2 new limited edition scarves, 2 new T-Shirts and a limited edition 1st team shirt (the one I'm wearing in the video) commemorating their cup semi-final meeting with FC Basel.

Then I look at us.  We all got our commemorative play off final win shirts didn't we?  Not even a T-Shirt. The Ashes to Glory story is worthy of a film and had I been anywhere near Donny, there would have been one.  Instead, what do we get.  A poorly produced DVD that, unless you are a Donny fan, is frankly boring.  When I look at the opportunity Donny had to make money that they more or less completely failed to take, I cringe.  It makes me look at John Ryan, and the millions he's made and think "how the bloody hell did he manage that!?"

GVARover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 18, 2012, 07:16:24 am by GVARover »
As a time served marketer, from product management to VP Marketing, I have to agree that the Rovers' marketing efforts in the past have been pretty amateur - but never too late to get better!  I still think there would be mileage in a "Conference Years" DVD, and why not a "Championship Best of" (Volume I of course with a rapid return hoped for :) ).  In general though this is still looking to maximise revenue from current supporters but getting the DRFC brand out to a wider public has to be one of the keys to future growth in support - and hence on field success.  I am sure there are plenty of ideas in the recent survey but will the club be able to assimilate and execute?
Oh well - got to go and talk communications with HR now  :crying:

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 18, 2012, 08:05:14 am by FuzzyDuck »
Agree 100% GVA - Never too late to improve and the DVDs you speak of are good ideas (although te conference one should have been done when we were promoted to League 3, there should have been a "championship season DVD", a "Giant Killers DvD" for the League Cup run and a promotion season DVD.  The chmpaionship years, if they released it today would be just about punctual.

I was talking about a feature film.  "The Damned United" was deemed a good enough story to make a film.  How does a bloke getting sacked after 44 days in a job compare with a club rising from having 5 players and no goal nets to making it to the championship in 10 years?  I think the second story is the better one. Vision is lacking.

By the way, i have nothing to do with marketing or indeed any commercial function.  I therefore think if I can see things like this, God help us if our CEO can't! Hopefully things will improve with Gavin (my ranting is historical and not aimed at him).

GVARover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 18, 2012, 12:00:27 pm by GVARover »
With you all the way Fuzzy!
See you have fun in the Swiss league - never have got in with Servette, as a "frontalier" ETG closer so its France Ligue 1 for me - remarkable rise for this club (previously Croix de Savoie)  like the Rovers, 8 years ago in CFA-2 passing through CFA-1, National, Ligue 2 and now just completed first ever season in Ligue 1 finishing 9th - but its not like watching the boys in red and white  :scarf:  RTID

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 18, 2012, 08:08:10 pm by FuzzyDuck »
So your out this way too GVA?  From the sounds of it about 4 hours from me.

Winterthur is a bit of a cult club in Switzerland and I think we've been lucky.  Its great fun.  Proper football, standing on terraces with a beer and noisy fans. They have also grown, now getting 2000 to 2500 per game.  5 or 6 years ago, it was 500.  Apparently their secret was developing the ground's facilities (the first thing, putting a decent bar into the ground).  Its grown from there.

Agree though - enjoyable though Winti is, its not Donny.

Have Donny got any musically talented fans?  Winti have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak9xP3Gx7bg&feature=g-user-u

If you want to have a flick through Schützi-TV here's the link.

http://www.schuetzi-tv.ch/blog

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 18, 2012, 09:33:06 pm by BobG »
Like that vid. Not usually the sound I go for - but it's alright.

We are light years behind aren't we? The club. The supporters. The thinking. The doing. All of it. We'll have to ask Tumpetman to come back....

Cheers

BobG

PS Even if you only distribute privately, your vids Fuzzy are the only Rovers ones I've ever seen that portray some intelligence, some professionalism, some thought and some care. I keep searching google in case you've done another one!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 18, 2012, 09:38:59 pm by RobTheRover »
So your out this way too GVA?  From the sounds of it about 4 hours from me.

Winterthur is a bit of a cult club in Switzerland and I think we've been lucky.  Its great fun.  Proper football, standing on terraces with a beer and noisy fans. They have also grown, now getting 2000 to 2500 per game.  5 or 6 years ago, it was 500.  Apparently their secret was developing the ground's facilities (the first thing, putting a decent bar into the ground).  Its grown from there.

Agree though - enjoyable though Winti is, its not Donny.

Have Donny got any musically talented fans?  Winti have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak9xP3Gx7bg&feature=g-user-u

If you want to have a flick through Schützi-TV here's the link.

http://www.schuetzi-tv.ch/blog

Pete,  thanks so much for the PM. All good stuff.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 18, 2012, 09:39:29 pm by MrFrost »
Rovers are still one of only a small number of football league and conference clubs who do not produce a seasonal review DVD every season. And the ones we have in the past have been shocking.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 19, 2012, 12:23:00 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I Think there's a hell of a lot we can learn as a club on the commercial side,seasonal dvd's as the last poster brought up surely is a good idea,plus a good money maker,i'm sure most of us would buy a copy,why not sell dvd's that you could order monthly from the club of all that month's games,i'd also love it if they did another copy of the Arsenal carling cup dvd because i've been trying to get it for ages,what about the club magazine they used to do that's definitely missed by me i used to buy every issue,what about producing a club catalogue that sells items on credit with say a little bit of interest on so the club make a bit?

GVARover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 19, 2012, 12:16:53 pm by GVARover »
Sorry Fuzzy - did not get chance to log on earlier but yes I am working in Geneva and live just over the border in France - only a few lakes and mountains between us!
Obviously makes it a bit tricky getting back for games at the Keepmoat but manage to fit a few in each season.

Thoughts on other DVDs, like the monthly summary idea - with a bit of commentry on matches or match highlights, weave in a bit of the monthly news from DROS, top and tail it and you have a product that should not be so difficult to get out....if there is a decision to reprint the League Cup games can we also get the season summary for our first season back in the Championship redone - I missed it (the DVD not the whole season!)  :crying:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012