Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 10:39:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Neil Sullivan  (Read 4447 times)

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
Neil Sullivan
« on February 22, 2010, 07:10:32 pm by Barmby Rover »
40 on Wednesday. How about a big chorus of happy birthday for him from the SSBA tomorrow night?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

watto-drfc

• Forum Member
Re:Neil Sullivan
« Reply #1 on February 22, 2010, 07:39:53 pm by watto-drfc »
who was the last rovers player to play at 40 year old?

Sif

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 22, 2010, 07:41:11 pm by Sif »
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy birthdau dear Sulli
Happy Birthday to you

nice touch. i think he'd appreciate it. That gobshite Follows would be able to orchestrate it, i'm sure.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 22, 2010, 07:54:54 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Glyn Snodin?

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 22, 2010, 07:59:29 pm by Guernsey Exile »
watto-drfc wrote:
who was the last rovers player to play at 40 year old?

40 years plus????  John Ryan

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 22, 2010, 08:15:04 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Tommy Tynan

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 22, 2010, 08:19:32 pm by Superspy »
Sif wrote:
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you

i think we should do it. :)

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 22, 2010, 09:42:37 pm by CusworthRovers »
Superspy wrote:
Sif wrote:
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy birthday dear Sulli
Happy Birthday to you

i think we should do it. :)

Agreed. Anybody know what tune we sing it to though?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 22, 2010, 09:44:10 pm by BobG »
Billy Bremmner did for sure. And Ian Snodin when he came back as manager. Beyond that- not many at all.

BobG

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 22, 2010, 09:57:23 pm by Branton Rover »
Actually Billy was 39 when last he appeared for us, Syd Bycroft was 40 though. Sulli, John Ryan apart will become the oldest ever Rovers player, not bad for a player who Dennis Wise described as fat and passed it, probably extended his career by at least 3 years though so thank you Dennis

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 22, 2010, 10:14:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ian Snodin was 36 when he last played for us.

Syd Bycroft was 39/40 - not sure when he made his last appearance.

Peter Doherty was 38/39 - ditto.

Tommy Tynan was 37

Joe Laidlaw was 41. Pounds overweight.

One you've all missed - Neville Southall was 40.

Just shows what a pro Sullivan is. I thought he was looking rocky just after Xmas, but these last few matches, he's been back to top class form. I guess we won;t get too much more out of him, but in his current form, we'd need to shell out half a million to replace him. That save from Tudgay last Tuesday was up there with Andy Warrington's from Dave Cameron in the play-off semi as the best I have ever seen from a Rovers keeper.

One of the things that has stood out as we have gone up the leagues is just how much better the keepers are at this level than further down the pyramid. If he wanted to, I'm sure Sullivan could still be playing at Conference level in 4 or 5 years time.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 22, 2010, 10:21:33 pm by BobG »
Well thank you lads. The way Billy looked when he played for us I thought he was nearer 50 than 40! still, I've lived and learned. Ta.

BobG

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 22, 2010, 10:27:23 pm by Branton Rover »
He did say in an interview recently he would like to have a go again with Wimbledon & they're in around the Conference play-offs at the moment so you never know.  He's been absolutely tremendous for us & it's good for me to be talking about a current Rovers player still older than I am.  I think if he wants another year he'll get it here it's all down to him & how he feels.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 22, 2010, 10:31:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BobG wrote:
Well thank you lads. The way Billy looked when he played for us I thought he was nearer 50 than 40! still, I've lived and learned. Ta.

BobG

Given Billy's refuelling habits, it's no wonder he looked knacked in his late 30s. And that he corked it in his mid-50s. I remember seeing a photo of him and Jack Charlton in a team hotel eating bacon and eggs and smoking fags on the morning of a match.

No wonder he took to Duggie like a father to a son...

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 23, 2010, 09:00:13 am by The Red Baron »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
Ian Snodin was 36 when he last played for us.

Syd Bycroft was 39/40 - not sure when he made his last appearance.

Peter Doherty was 38/39 - ditto.

Tommy Tynan was 37

Joe Laidlaw was 41. Pounds overweight.

One you've all missed - Neville Southall was 40.

Just shows what a pro Sullivan is. I thought he was looking rocky just after Xmas, but these last few matches, he's been back to top class form. I guess we won;t get too much more out of him, but in his current form, we'd need to shell out half a million to replace him. That save from Tudgay last Tuesday was up there with Andy Warrington's from Dave Cameron in the play-off semi as the best I have ever seen from a Rovers keeper.

One of the things that has stood out as we have gone up the leagues is just how much better the keepers are at this level than further down the pyramid. If he wanted to, I'm sure Sullivan could still be playing at Conference level in 4 or 5 years time.

I watched a bit of the Rotherham-Shrewsbury game last night. Shrewsbury would have won by a cricket score but for the home goalkeeper- a certain Mr Warrington. He made two top class saves and several other good ones- although he did manage the customary moment of drama at a corner!

As for that Dave Cameron, I wonder what happened to him?  ;)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 23, 2010, 09:02:36 am by The Red Baron »
PS- Re: Billy Bremner. I think it was the fags rather than the booze that did for him. I remember seeing him in the old social club after a match in the early 90s- smoking like the proverbial factory chimney.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 23, 2010, 09:43:21 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Dave Cameron? He thought he's won it for that particularly unpleasant bunch, but in the end he wasn't quite up to the job.

Ahem...

muff licker

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 23, 2010, 09:57:13 am by muff licker »
The Red Baron wrote:
PS- Re: Billy Bremner. I think it was the fags rather than the booze that did for him. I remember seeing him in the old social club after a match in the early 90s- smoking like the proverbial factory chimney.

I can remember when i was 17 and used to work for the Dragon House chinese in Sprotbro, i got a delivery to Clifton. As i got out my car a little fella came to the door, took the bag of food from me and gave me £20, and said to keep the change(£3.80) one thing idid notice was a stench of stale smoke, and it became a regular delivery every Saturday night at 7.30.

One delivery he didnt come to the door and i knocked and he invited me into the house while he got me the money, the house had loads of football memorobilia(sp) and it was then after a few questions from myself about it all,  i found out i had been delivering chinese to Mr Billy Bremner. I asked him for an autograph, and went on my way.
Every time i had to deliver to his house from then on, he always asked how i was and how the team i was playing for were doing, not only a legend but a true gent.

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 23, 2010, 09:06:55 pm by streatham dave »
Happy Birthday Mr Sullivan.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 24, 2010, 11:54:22 am by Mike_F »
Sif wrote:
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you

nice touch. i think he'd appreciate it. That gobshite Follows would be able to orchestrate it, i'm sure.

Thanks for your kind words!

Had I been on here yesterday instead of sitting in a meeting for six f**king hours I would've had a crack at it too.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012