Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:31:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Stadium Announcer  (Read 4770 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
Stadium Announcer
« on May 06, 2018, 12:24:32 am by roverstillidie91 »
Is it just me or does anyone hardly have any idea what he is saying when speaking into the microphone ?

I was listening today and it just seemed loud and a mess. I couldn't interpret what he is saying unless he has the microphone where he is speaking too close into it?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Stadium Announcer
« Reply #1 on May 06, 2018, 12:27:54 am by Filo »
Is it just me or does anyone hardly have any idea what he is saying when speaking into the microphone ?

I was listening today and it just seemed loud and a mess. I couldn't interpret what he is saying unless he has the microphone where he is speaking too close into it?

Agreed, the sound system is shit, never understand a word he says

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 06, 2018, 08:10:46 am by Donnywolf »
Yes - it is very unfortunate because he is a knowledgable bloke and packed with enthusiasm

I think on here we have been through this whole PA thing and I am sure the Club were said to be aware that improvements need to be made because really it is unfortunate if there is something on the Big Screen that is interesting and / or important and it cant be clearly heard

Similarly Meet the Mascots will mean the world to the Kids and their Friends and Families - as will such as the Inductions into the Legends / Hall of Fame for past Players and again a great pity that these features cannit be clearly heard

Mind you yesterday was exceptional for the non-stop noise and even Mrs DW would have failed to be heard I suspect - so we cant blame the PA system for that nor the Stadium Announcer himself

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 06, 2018, 08:14:32 am by mushRTID »
I think he just talks that much people don’t listen anymore.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 06, 2018, 08:25:35 am by craigdrfc »
There was a whole thread on the state of the PA system a year or so ago. It needs a complete upgrade, but that doesnt come cheap as you would expect in a sports stadium.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 06, 2018, 08:34:42 am by adamtherover »
I just wish he'd realise that that large green thing the  players run around on is called a pitch!!!  Not a bloody pretentious talk sport esque "field of play "

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 06, 2018, 09:19:02 am by Rovers91 »
Must be the sound system because I'm sure it's the same bloke that does the announcements at Cas and can hear him clear at games there.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 06, 2018, 02:12:30 pm by RoversAlias »
Must be the sound system because I'm sure it's the same bloke that does the announcements at Cas and can hear him clear at games there.

It is the same man. I think he does a good job but the sound system lets him down.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 06, 2018, 03:43:39 pm by pib »

Agreed. Over complicated a very simple message yesterday.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 06, 2018, 09:18:16 pm by scawsby steve »
The sound system at the New York Stadium was brilliant; surely we're not going to be outdone by those tw*ts.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 07, 2018, 06:51:04 am by Donnywolf »

Agreed. Over complicated a very simple message yesterday.

It may be that he had a script to work to. I recall reading on here a bit since that we have to take "reasonable care" to prevent pitch invasions in light of Safety of Players Officials and we the Crowd - as well I suppose of those that do the invading

As part of that there may be a well defined script that is used and the Stadium Announcer simply has to follow. I dont know for sure and I cant be a***d to look back but maybe SM will know

Milepostuk

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 07, 2018, 07:07:42 am by Milepostuk »
I think it's just so loud it distorts. Turn it down and it would be miles better.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 07, 2018, 09:06:24 am by RedJ »
The sound system at the New York Stadium was brilliant; surely we're not going to be outdone by those tw*ts.

You're telling me. Felt like putting my foot through the chair when New York, New York started ringing around the ground after the game.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 07, 2018, 11:50:32 am by Donnywolf »
Its up to you ...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 07, 2018, 08:07:25 pm by drfchound »

You're telling me. Felt like putting my foot through the chair when New York, New York started ringing around the ground after the game.

RedJ, did you put your foot through a chair in the South Stand earlier this season mate?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 07, 2018, 08:21:57 pm by RedJ »
I didn't, but I wasn't far off the lad who did. Can't say I didn't feel the same way...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 07, 2018, 08:48:28 pm by drfchound »
Interesting.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 22, 2018, 05:31:33 pm by Al4475 »
 When I did it there was a script that had to be followed roughly. My 'job' started at 2 with the early welcomes and potted history of the oppos (that was my only real input in the script.) From then on in it was quite prescribed, welcome and thanks to today's sponsors, initial team news (with individual player sponsors) and ref/lino intros, what was coming up, meet the mascots, other news (player of month etc) then into the last half-hour it was supposed to be about letting the crowd create the atmosphere before the final team read through.

There was always issues with the sound system - I tried with a friend who worked in theatre's/stadium events to isolate sound levels in different areas of the ground, we tried to ensure the music played was between certain decibels to avoid distortion  and various other little technical defincies.

The system itself used to all be on the same loop as the emergency announcement system and the machinery we were using was really the type used for broadcasting to a small enclosed indoor arena as opposed to a large primarily outdoor space.

The amps weren't great so balance was difficult to get and from certain areas of the 'bowl' the radio mic struggled to be picked up by the receiver in the pa room. It was a two deck CD numark CD player and basic mixer running through speakers with no sub-woofers or internal amps - so it was always difficult to get good sound quality at appropriate levels in different areas of the ground.

Pip and I (plus shaun and the team) tried to make the best of what equipment capabilities we had - but it never stood a chance of being really good quality - the system couldn't physically handle it.

There was talk of the club trying alternatives out after our 'relegation from the championship' season - which I think (tho I can't guarantee) maybe would've come into fruition had we stayed up.

I'm guessing (as I haven't been this season) that it's the same system now - in which case the flaws are always gonna be there.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 22, 2018, 05:38:11 pm by silent majority »
Thanks Al, but the upgrades and replacements did take place. I'm sure it was last season when we had a major failure of the PA system, and I'm sure we had one game when no announcements could be made? That cost a small fortune to restore and put it back in working order.

I know its far from perfect and there is a willingness to fix the system, but player budgets take preference.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 22, 2018, 05:49:56 pm by Al4475 »
Cheers mart, as I said, and as you know I've been absent this year so I didn't know if it had been upgraded. I thought it may have been but wasn't sure! I'll have a listen next season when I'm ready to re-ignite the love affair! Lol

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 22, 2018, 06:40:24 pm by RedJ »
I always liked when you came down to the South Stand to give the final read through.

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 22, 2018, 08:33:49 pm by LincolnDonny »
Al the time when you did an intro of a player .........OMG did we all laugh

I think all will know who i am spaeking about .........

and as reverense to you all i will say is

oh..........its him..........................LOL

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 23, 2018, 09:05:30 am by drfchound »
Al the time when you did an intro of a player .........OMG did we all laugh

I think all will know who i am spaeking about .........

and as reverense to you all i will say is

oh..........its him..........................LOL

Sorry Lincoln, I don’t know who you are on about.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 23, 2018, 12:54:00 pm by Al4475 »
I got into a bit of trouble for that - I didn't mean to be disrespectful to him at all - it just came out that way - thoroughly enjoyed that year and thought I grew into the role quite well - i'd have done it again if I'd had chance.

It was difficult at times tho, as I was obviously a very devout fan, to keep my emotions in check at times - especially that season!

Lol

I believe it was jermaine Beckford! Lol

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 23, 2018, 09:07:20 pm by Donnywolf »
It was as I remember vividly .....Jermaine Beckford !

No point trying to type it as you said it - it just does not work !

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 24, 2018, 01:08:02 pm by MachoMadness »
Rovers PA systems must be cursed. I remember the one at Belle Vue was like listening to a tin can on the end of a string.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012