Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:26:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Paul Keegan  (Read 10728 times)

glosterred

• VSC Member
Re: Paul Keegan
« Reply #30 on May 24, 2018, 12:33:32 pm by glosterred »
If Dean Saunders is such a good manager, why isn’t he managing now and why was he sack from Wolves.

COYR

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 24, 2018, 12:37:14 pm by DRNaith »
Every football manager I've ever heard of has been sacked by at least one team.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 24, 2018, 12:39:48 pm by glosterred »
Look at his achievements as manager, there is not a lot to cheer about.

COYR

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 24, 2018, 01:05:25 pm by MachoMadness »
If Dean Saunders is such a good manager, why isn’t he managing now and why was he sack from Wolves.

COYR
You could say that about a lot of managers. Loot at Penney. Look at Curbishley. Look at SO'D. I don't think anyone would deny their achievements but for whatever reason they've not done a lot as first team managers recently, by choice in most cases. Maybe Saunders finds the money better in his punditry work for the amount of work and travel he has to do.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 24, 2018, 01:26:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Being a football manager is extremely hard work and stressful. Just because they are not in a managers job now doesn't mean they were crap at it. If you can earn a living elsewhere in a far less stressful environment, who can blame them?

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 24, 2018, 06:02:06 pm by glosterred »
If he was as good as some people are saying them there would have been a offer he couldn’t refuse. I for one didn’t think he was that good as a manager.

COYR

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 24, 2018, 06:07:28 pm by wesisback »
Nobody has said he was good enough to be holding on to at any price, especially when Wolves would have paid us for his release.
The team he assembled the season we won this division, on paper, was nowhere near a top end contender yet they managed to take the trophy.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 24, 2018, 06:14:27 pm by Cantley Rover »

COYR

If SOD was such a good manager why was he sacked by Forest and why isn't he managing now?

Just shows how silly your post was doesn't it.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 24, 2018, 07:47:08 pm by glosterred »

COYR

If SOD was such a good manager why was he sacked by Forest and why isn't he managing now?

Not really, I wasn’t talking about Sod I was talking about Saunders and I standby what I said, I don’t think he was a good manager

COYR

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 24, 2018, 07:55:39 pm by ravenrover »
Can you expand on that? Why don’t you think he was a good manager and please don’t churn out any well such and such a player said, please give me your own thoughts. Thank you

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 24, 2018, 08:22:01 pm by tommy toes »

SOD was doing a great job at Forest but new owners came in and wanted a big name. So Alex McCleish was appointed and made a balls of it. Forest fans wanted SOD to stay.

COYR
[/quote]

[/quote]

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 24, 2018, 09:35:26 pm by glosterred »
Can you expand on that? Why don’t you think he was a good manager and please don’t churn out any well such and such a player said, please give me your own thoughts. Thank you

Can you tell me why you think he was a good one. And please don’t churn out well such and such a player said. Please give me your own thoughts. Thank you

COYR

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 24, 2018, 10:40:12 pm by wesisback »
He built a squad decimated after the experiment that could mix it with the best of this division at the time and while built a team that played ugly, we were incredibly hard to beat. He was by no means my favourite manager by any stretch but he was a miles better manager than Dickov and as I've already stated, I much preferred the squad he had then to the one we have now.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 25, 2018, 08:37:29 am by RedJ »

Can you tell me why you think he was a good one. And please don’t churn out well such and such a player said. Please give me your own thoughts. Thank you

COYR

"I can't answer your question so I'll deflect attention away and try and get away with asking my own in response."

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on May 25, 2018, 10:01:25 am by glosterred »
No not really, you say why you think he was a good manager. IMHO he wasnt

COYR

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 25, 2018, 11:02:57 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I liked the squad that Saunders put together. But I wouldn’t credit him with too much managerial nous. The wage bill in 12/13 was outrageous. Pretty much the same wage bill that Dickov had in 13/14 in the Championship and far, far higher than any wage bill we’ve had in L1 before or since.

In that light, anything other than promotion would have been a disaster. And whilst I enjoy watching a team based on solidity and steel, given what he spent in wages, I think we had the right to have expected a bit more silk than he produced.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 25, 2018, 11:14:21 am by drfchound »

Never heard of Bob Paisly then?

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 25, 2018, 11:19:41 am by aidanstu »

Alex Ferguson?

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 25, 2018, 11:25:22 am by aidanstu »
Saunders seems to be an interesting character but the Under the Cosh podcast offers a real insight, from several players who played under him, about his man management skills. He gets hammered by a few of them for letting the players such as Dioulasso and beye run rings round him, lacking a back bone and by doing so causing deep rifts in the squad. For me he was a character, built a good side in his second season that played some of the dullest football I’ve ever seen; he also lacked any form of loyalty in the way he left Wrexham and rovers so for me I’d not have him back and can see why he never really progressed after leaving donny.

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on May 25, 2018, 04:43:30 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »

Alex Ferguson?
Ferguson was sacked by St Mirren

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 25, 2018, 08:49:44 pm by Cantley Rover »
Saunders seems to be an interesting character but the Under the Cosh podcast offers a real insight, from several players who played under him, about his man management skills. He gets hammered by a few of them for letting the players such as Dioulasso and beye run rings round him, lacking a back bone and by doing so causing deep rifts in the squad. For me he was a character, built a good side in his second season that played some of the dullest football I’ve ever seen; he also lacked any form of loyalty in the way he left Wrexham and rovers so for me I’d not have him back and can see why he never really progressed after leaving donny.

It always makes me laugh when people go on about loyalty.
I presume you have only ever worked for one company then?
I have moved from one company to another to better myself in my career. Never for a minute did I think I was being disloyal.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:53:10 pm by Cantley Rover »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 25, 2018, 09:19:20 pm by RedJ »

COYR

You were asked first as to why he isn't a good manager. Answer the man's question.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on May 25, 2018, 11:38:06 pm by DRNaith »

Nope

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 26, 2018, 07:33:34 am by dickos1 »
I liked the side Saunders built but I couldn’t give him too much credit for winning the title. I could be wrong but I think we were 4th or 5th when left and Flynn brought in some influential players after Saunders had left

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on May 26, 2018, 08:25:48 am by DRNaith »
I thought we were first or second when Saunders left, but I could be mistaken

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on May 26, 2018, 08:27:44 am by glosterred »

COYR

You were asked first as to why he isn't a good manager. Answer the man's question.

Okay, he over saw the failed experiment which was poorly handle due to his poor man mangerment skills, something that is essential to all good managers.

He allowed internal conflict to to be rife with a them and us attitude in the team.

He allowed personnel not to train fully

He played players that were not good enough when better players were on the bench or not even in the match day squad.

Personnel were signed and didn’t play, why allow this?

When he played Doncaster Rovers players the following season we saw a vast improvement in standards, but then he jumped ship and moved to Wolves, did nothing there and got sacked. He wasn’t able to turn them around.

Since then he has moved down the league and done absolutely nothing with the teams he went to.

Now you tell me why you think he was a good manager.

Happy now pal

COYR

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on May 26, 2018, 09:44:15 am by drfchound »

Nope

Bob Paisley, Joe Fagin, Bill Shankly.
None if those were sacked.
Topical subject bearing in mind the CL game today.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on May 26, 2018, 09:57:00 am by ravenrover »
Regarding the "experiment" do you think he had much choice in which player was brought in, who played, when they trained etc because I don't, to use that single season as a reason for being a good or bad manager is unreasonable. He may not have been responsible for bringing in the whole 1st team for the 2nd season but Flynn can't be given all the credit. The style of play may have been poor on the eye but it was very effective and as for jumping ship there are not many managers in their 1st job as a League manager who wouldn't want to go to a "bigger club" in a higher league given the opportunity. As for what he did having jumped ship I couldn't give a monkeys for me he did a good job as manager of DRFC.
I think I've given my answer without any hearsay did you?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on May 26, 2018, 10:48:36 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I liked the side Saunders built but I couldn’t give him too much credit for winning the title. I could be wrong but I think we were 4th or 5th when left and Flynn brought in some influential players after Saunders had left

We were 2nd when Saunders left. Level on points with Tranmere. Behind them by 3 GD.

Record under Saunders that season.

P26 W15 D5 L6 PPG1.92

Record under Flynn

P20 W10 D4 L6. PPG 1.70

It’s a myth that Flynn improved the side that Saunders left. We dropped from title-winning form to play-off form under Flynn. We won the title because:

a) The best side from the first half of the season (Tranmere) collapsed.
b) The best side in the second half of the season (Bournemouth) had had a shocking first half.
c) Everyone else was distinctly average.

So, although we faltered badly under Flynn, so did no side could take advantage of it. There was only one side that had title winning form over the last 20 games and they were coming from so far back that they couldn’t beat us to the title.

Flynn was a decent man I’m sure but he very, very nearly made a reight balls up of that season.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on May 26, 2018, 11:09:35 am by Draytonian III »
I still don’t get why people think Saunders was a good manager,his overall win ratio as a league manager must be one of the worst in recent years. I don’t count his time at Wrexham because that is non-league

TinyPortal © 2005-2012