Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:20:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Belles  (Read 8265 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Belles
« Reply #30 on May 21, 2018, 08:19:42 pm by silent majority »
They are only quoting what she said. The main point she mentioned was the unfairness of not being promoted on merit and it being dependant on money in the bank.

It's a timely swipe at the FA and I hope they look at this again!

They won't. The FA decided some considerable time ago that the women's game will follow the franchise model.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 21, 2018, 08:43:56 pm by Filo »
They are only quoting what she said. The main point she mentioned was the unfairness of not being promoted on merit and it being dependant on money in the bank.

They won't. The FA decided some considerable time ago that the women's game will follow the franchise model.

I'm sure if they thought they could get away with it in the mens game, they would have it in there by now

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 21, 2018, 09:01:53 pm by Michael Shaw »
Personally, I just think incorporating the Belles into Club Doncaster makes sense, and being such a successful ladies squad would be good for the group. Obviously it is far more complicated logically and financially, but it's a move I would like to see happen even if only to promote Doncaster.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on May 21, 2018, 11:04:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

Yes I agree S_M. It will be mightily embarrassing if they got to a point where no team were able to take up their place in the top tier due to the financial requirement.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 22, 2018, 06:40:17 am by PDX_Rover »
The franchise system makes an absolute mockery of the whole promotion and relegation element though doesn’t it... A team that wins the league by double digits and denied. It’s ethically filthy.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 22, 2018, 10:58:21 am by Filo »
Personally, I just think incorporating the Belles into Club Doncaster makes sense, and being such a successful ladies squad would be good for the group. Obviously it is far more complicated logically and financially, but it's a move I would like to see happen even if only to promote Doncaster.

Not sure, but I think one of the reasons they were thrown out in the first place in favour of Man City was the fact they could n't have 2nd call on the use of the stadium because the Dons had that

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 22, 2018, 11:00:02 am by RedJ »
One of the excuses is probably more accurate, they'd probably already decided it was happening and then found ways to justify it.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 22, 2018, 12:54:53 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
They are only quoting what she said. ...

Selective quoting. A fuller quote can be seen on the Belles site where she referred to Club Doncaster.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 22, 2018, 01:03:03 pm by RoversAlias »
All the same, "Club Doncaster" is not known to the national press but Doncaster Rovers are.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 22, 2018, 02:34:01 pm by VivaRovers »
All the same, "Club Doncaster" is not known to the national press but Doncaster Rovers are.

Though a national media outlet should be expected to factcheck. As someone who writes/edits stuff for almost a living, if I saw references to Club Doncaster in a press release statement I wouldn't assume it was the same as Doncaster Rovers and so would check.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 22, 2018, 02:40:09 pm by RoversAlias »
Once again though, I expect they probably did check but know that a headline of "Belles to align with Club Doncaster will likely only garner bemusement from readers whereas everyone knows who Doncaster Rovers are. I'm also a writer and I know how journalists suss out their headlines and leads for a story.

I just think it's a bit much criticising the wording of an article about this because it's easy to see why it's been written the way it has.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 22, 2018, 04:12:45 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
After my email the BBC thought it was worth changing the wording. Some small things are important. Club Doncaster is on the map ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44195465

:boxing:

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 22, 2018, 04:26:20 pm by VivaRovers »
Once again though, I expect they probably did check but know that a headline of "Belles to align with Club Doncaster will likely only garner bemusement from readers whereas everyone knows who Doncaster Rovers are. I'm also a writer and I know how journalists suss out their headlines and leads for a story.

I just think it's a bit much criticising the wording of an article about this because it's easy to see why it's been written the way it has.

Yes, but the way it was originally written was factually wrong, so it's fair criticism.

I get what you're saying about manipulating the wording of titles to bring in traffic, but this approach has its limits, and shouldn't involve altering the basic facts of the story. Like you I can see why they've done it... but that doesn't mean it's acceptable.

Which is presumably why they've now updated it thanks to BRR's input.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 22, 2018, 04:27:48 pm by RoversAlias »
Yes true, and since they've listened to BRR on his e-mail then fair enough, all is sorted with it.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on May 22, 2018, 05:07:22 pm by foxbat »
Well done BRR . good to have it factually correct and better publicity for the
' Club Doncaster ' concept.

danum

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 22, 2018, 06:13:16 pm by danum »

Not sure, but I think one of the reasons they were thrown out in the first place in favour of Man City was the fact they could n't have 2nd call on the use of the stadium because the Dons had that

And Lincoln City Ladies who became Notts County ladies were in the same boat, but escaped relegation. The following season because they only had 3rd choice at home fixtures, they failed to fulfil a fixture (what the Belles were relegated for)
Belles were relegated because it might happen
Notts County were fined £50 when it did .. its corrupt to the core 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 23, 2018, 09:11:19 am by drfchound »
Just out of curiosity, as someone who doesn’t follow women’s football very closely, I wonder how many fans of Lincoln ladies team followed them to Notts County?
Maybe families of the players would go but what about general supporters.
In the men’s game, how many Rovers fans would go and support the team if they were relocated to another town ?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 23, 2018, 09:43:21 am by RedJ »
How many Wimbledon fans followed them to Milton Keynes compared to who started going because the team moved there, I wonder, as they didn't have a professional team (or even a team I think) at that time.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 23, 2018, 10:20:40 am by NickDRFC »
How many Wimbledon fans followed them to Milton Keynes compared to who started going because the team moved there, I wonder, as they didn't have a professional team (or even a team I think) at that time.

I have absolutely no evidence for this but I'd imagine that the number of Wimbledon fans who then became MK Dons fans is extremely low.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 23, 2018, 10:47:55 am by RedJ »
Same, but I know they're out there as there's a bloke in a facebook group who still travels to MK for every home game. I suppose they don't really care about ripping a club away from its fans in women's football as there isn't anywhere near as much support for many of the teams as their male counterparts. Not my view but that's probably how they see it.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 23, 2018, 01:49:16 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I think the FA is being as fluid as it can get away with being to try and establish the best supported teams being in the top flight. Tinkering with relegation/promotion, leaving the option for a smaller team to move to a bigger city is al part of this. Making sure that only teams with money get to the top too.

It's not dissimilar from the men's game in the 19th/early 20th centuries where teams were elected. And even now, to progress up the pyramid, there's the conditions of having an adequate ground for promotion - which means money.

The danger is that real support, and real competition, and therefore good healthy sport get sacrificed. Also some teams will extend themselves too much for a shot at top flight football and so collapse, creating instability, the loss of a fan base.

Fingers crossed that all this settles down soon and a real promotion relegation pyramid prevails.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 23, 2018, 06:51:28 pm by Cantley Rover »
I am amazed that the FA are actually starting Manchester Utd ladies in league 2. I thought they would have fast tracked then straight into league 1

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 23, 2018, 08:13:37 pm by godlike1 »
Will be interesting how DF would cope with having Neil redfearn, poss competition for his job now within the same club. Could be interesting

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on May 23, 2018, 10:26:02 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Will be interesting how DF would cope with having Neil redfearn, poss competition for his job now within the same club. Could be interesting

What? He's at Belles, if Club Doncaster takes over the Belles then Redfearn will still be at Belles. Rovers don't come in to it.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on May 25, 2018, 07:26:55 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I am amazed that the FA are actually starting Manchester Utd ladies in league 2. I thought they would have fast tracked then straight into league 1

That's really does top it all. I wish MUFC Ladies, and the FA every drop of apocalyptic misfortune the universe has to offer.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on May 25, 2018, 09:29:19 pm by Pancho Regan »

I doubt it

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on May 25, 2018, 10:17:13 pm by Draytonian III »
Why would Neil Redfearn become Rovers manager if DF left  ????

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on May 30, 2018, 06:21:58 am by godlike1 »
Well everyone was keen on him before DF was appointed so I would be amazed if you don't drag his name up again. Geese you all have short memories

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on May 30, 2018, 11:15:52 am by 5minstogo »
Well everyone was keen on him before DF was appointed so I would be amazed if you don't drag his name up again. Geese you all have short memories

Short memories but long necks.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on May 30, 2018, 11:49:26 am by graingrover »
I agree the best solution would be to incorporate into Club Doncaster with two provisos. Firstly that they come with a clean profit and loss account so that any Club Doncaster investment is for future development and not for bailing out .Secondly they discuss and agree with Club Doncaster the new  appointment to Chair person . In the past cooperation with Rovers on community work has been difficult and if Belles cannot espouse Club Doncaster and Doncaster Foundation work wholeheartedly they can hardly expect a blind guarantee of 350,000 quid per season

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

TinyPortal © 2005-2012