Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 06:52:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Champions League Final  (Read 7496 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Champions League Final
« Reply #60 on May 28, 2018, 09:40:31 pm by NickDRFC »
Thought the best team won.

And for anyone who doubts it, four European Cup wins in five years proves that Real Madrid are the greatest team in the modern era.

Go figure

To be fair, I agreed with you at first Pancho but re-reading it I think they were intended as two separate statements but just worded ambiguously/clumsily. Pretty sure what was meant was:

1. The best team on the night won
2. Real Madrid are the greatest team of the modern era, and winning four of the last five European Championships would surely prove that to anyone who doubts it

If that was the case then apologies Rigoglioso for initially questioning it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on May 28, 2018, 09:46:33 pm by Pancho Regan »
Is targeting a player actually cheating though or is it just really clever gamesmanship?

This is the latest in a line of posts in which you seem to condone actions which at best are dubious and at worst are clearly against the rules of football as we know it.

Are you seriously suggesting that, if Ramos deliberately and cynically injured Mo Salah in order to remove him from the game, that this was merely clever gamesmanship?

It is one thing to proclaim your enjoyment of a direct, simple, crude version of football. You regularly remind us that this is your preferred version of the sport we all love. That’s fine; each to their own.

However it is quite another to condone and celebrate cheating, which you also seem to do with equal relish.

I don’t know whether Ramos intended to take Salah out of the Champions League Final, but if he did, I condemn it totally and utterly.

As a I said in an earlier post, that’s not football. Or not my kind of football.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on May 28, 2018, 10:03:54 pm by Pancho Regan »
Thought the best team won.

And for anyone who doubts it, four European Cup wins in five years proves that Real Madrid are the greatest team in the modern era.

Go figure

To be fair, I agreed with you at first Pancho but re-reading it I think they were intended as two separate statements but just worded ambiguously/clumsily. Pretty sure what was meant was:

1. The best team on the night won
2. Real Madrid are the greatest team of the modern era, and winning four of the last five European Championships would surely prove that to anyone who doubts it

If that was the case then apologies Rigoglioso for initially questioning it.

Thanks Nick for attempting to explain what Riogoglioso may actually have meant.
I’m sure he will appreciate your help in articulating his thoughts.

And please don’t take that as a derogatory statement to yourself because none is intended.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on May 29, 2018, 12:15:26 am by RoversAlias »
So then everyone cheats and the game is worse for it. Sound logic.

Here's an idea - if a team has an outstanding player who can damage you, try to stop him doing so by footballing means? That's sort of the point of sporting competition.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on May 29, 2018, 08:28:56 am by GazLaz »
Ramos was man of the match by an absolute country mile. Streets in front of anyone else, despite Bales's first goal.
And Madrid were by far the best team as well.
I'm actually quite glad that Real won. Can't stand Liverpool, or their crazy manager.
ps. Just as a final point, Liverpool were also 'out managed'. Everything that Zidane did worked to a tee.
And a final, final point: I hope Liverpool win as much next season as they did this 😄😄

I've read some tripe on this forum over the years, but that takes the biscuit. Madrid by far the best team?; you obviously didn't watch the first half when Liverpool played them off the park, and the dirty b*stards had to resort to taking Salah out. If Liverpool had a decent keeper and Salah had stayed on the pitch, there would have been only one result, and you wouldn't have been on here spouting all that sh*t.

Really??!
Who was better than Ramos? I'll tell you: no-one. Liverpool were the best team for 20 minutes and had no plan b, completely outclassed after Salah went off.
Liverpool didn't have a decent keeper and Salah didn't stay on the pitch. And there was only one result, Real won.
Funny how we see things differently eh?

I agree with you Frost. Liverpool good early on as they always are. Just not good enough over 90mins.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on May 29, 2018, 09:12:47 am by NickDRFC »
After Salah went off it was only ever going one way. With Salah, Firmino and Mane all on it didn’t matter as they are the ones who are most involved, but when a half fit Lallana came on the midfield mismatch was horribly exposed - no contest between Casemiro, Modric and Kroos vs Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on May 29, 2018, 11:57:06 am by selby »
  Nick exactly, at top level international football, Henderson and Milner are never going to dominate the midfield.
  Decent players, but not the great players you need at that level.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on May 29, 2018, 12:37:12 pm by GazLaz »
  Nick exactly, at top level international football, Henderson and Milner are never going to dominate the midfield.
  Decent players, but not the great players you need at that level.

Henderson has been outstanding this season at the very top level.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on May 29, 2018, 12:47:15 pm by Jonathan »
I’m not sure that the best way to defeat these so called ‘shit house tactics’ is to give the same back. The champions of the English league managed to steamroller over all comers this season without resorting to ‘shit house tactics’ and despite multiple efforts to stifle them or boot them off the park. As a complete neutral when it comes to top level football, I found them and Liverpool to be a joy to watch over much of the season. And when they played each other it was spectacular.

I can’t deny anyone’s right to prefer Rotherham’s style of play if that’s what turns you on, but I don’t get it myself.

As for the Champions League final, I found it a very entertaining game. I’d have liked Liverpool to win but the crucial mistakes cost them, along with the loss of Salah. Great drama from a viewing perspective though.

It is no surprise at all to see Frost senior launch into a tirade of negative thoughts on the game, or to confess to hating Liverpool’s charismatic manager. I mean, what is there to like about anything?!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on May 30, 2018, 10:12:46 pm by GazLaz »
Budgets don’t guarantee anything gets said a lot in here. Someone told me today that Rotherham had the third biggest budget in the division. We know which two teams had the biggest.... it obviously helps.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on May 30, 2018, 10:27:44 pm by selby »
  Gaz, with Henderson you are doing the English thing again, admiring bluster and effort for class.
  In all the matches I have seen him play, I have never seen him dominate a midfield.
  He is an OK player, nowhere near world class. And our four best teams in the Champions League, and the other teams in the Thursday League show that the premiership is not the best league in Europe.
   They have the bluster and effort, but are short on class and nous.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on May 31, 2018, 05:41:53 am by GazLaz »
  Gaz, with Henderson you are doing the English thing again, admiring bluster and effort for class.
  In all the matches I have seen him play, I have never seen him dominate a midfield.
  He is an OK player, nowhere near world class. And our four best teams in the Champions League, and the other teams in the Thursday League show that the premiership is not the best league in Europe.
   They have the bluster and effort, but are short on class and nous.

I’m not. I used to slate Henderson, and rightly so. The improvement in him under Klopp has been monumental. I’m not saying he’s David Silva or Modric level but he has been very very good this season. He’s no longer that player that passes 5 yards sideways and backwards.

DevilMayCry

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on May 31, 2018, 09:52:36 am by DevilMayCry »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012