Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:10:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: LIVERPOOL goalkeeper  (Read 5692 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: LIVERPOOL goalkeeper
« Reply #30 on May 27, 2018, 08:26:10 pm by NickDRFC »
With you on this one Steve - of course goalkeepers make mistakes but better ones don't very often, and don't in games of this magnitude. I can't recall seeing Buffon, Neuer, De Gea, Cech, Casillas, Schmeichel, van der Sar etc ever make a mistake as bad as either one of Karius', and certainly not in a massive game. It's a shame as he seems a nice bloke, and apologising to the Liverpool fans both immediately after the game and on twitter was a great gesture, but he's not looked overly comfortable all season and I can't see him having a future as anything other than a sub keeper at Liverpool going forward.

Hound - think that's the first time anyone would ever mention Scott Carson in the same breath as Ray Clemence! Carson never played at a World Cup, I think the goal you're referring to was against Croatia in the European Championship qualifiers.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 27, 2018, 08:52:11 pm by BigH »
Karius is an ok keeper but, unfortunately, ok isn't good enough for the biggest stage and the guy was found wanting mentally. Klopp must shoulder some of the blame as he went out of his way to recruit him then dicked around for half a season before finally committing him ahead of Mignolet. That game last night came too soon for him and will, I'm afraid, ultimately consign him to the ranks of players who were never quite good enough.

For Klopp it's a case of back to the drawing board and quick. He needs to sign a £50m keeper for next season otherwise what's the point of laying out £50-75m on the likes of Van Dijk and Keite if the last line of defence is fatally flawed.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 27, 2018, 10:00:29 pm by ravenrover »
Just thinking that perhaps it might be an idea to let him go on loan abroad for next season, that is assuming they get a decent keeper in over the summer

BiargeBob

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 27, 2018, 10:07:57 pm by BiargeBob »
Has Marko had a phone call? He was in the gym today rather than taking a well earned holiday.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 27, 2018, 10:09:09 pm by drfchound »
With you on this one Steve - of course goalkeepers make mistakes but better ones don't very often, and don't in games of this magnitude. I can't recall seeing Buffon, Neuer, De Gea, Cech, Casillas, Schmeichel, van der Sar etc ever make a mistake as bad as either one of Karius', and certainly not in a massive game. It's a shame as he seems a nice bloke, and apologising to the Liverpool fans both immediately after the game and on twitter was a great gesture, but he's not looked overly comfortable all season and I can't see him having a future as anything other than a sub keeper at Liverpool going forward.

Hound - think that's the first time anyone would ever mention Scott Carson in the same breath as Ray Clemence! Carson never played at a World Cup, I think the goal you're referring to was against Croatia in the European Championship qualifiers.

Nick, I was thinking of Rob Greens howler, although Carson himself has had a howler in an England shirt.
Even Peter Shilton has cocked up while playing for England.
Others than come to mind are by David James, Joe Hart and David Seaman.
Petr Cech has at least one high profile cock up in a big game as has Oliver Khan so Karius is in good company and won't be the last keeper to make a howler in a big game.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 27, 2018, 10:53:19 pm by karldew »
Just thinking that perhaps it might be an idea to let him go on loan abroad for next season, that is assuming they get a decent keeper in over the summer

Butland from Stoke could be a possibility?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 27, 2018, 11:00:09 pm by RoversAlias »
By most accounts they seem to be after either Butland or Roma's keeper, Allison Becker who is also Brazil first choice.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on May 27, 2018, 11:34:59 pm by idler »
I always remember Joe Mercer commenting or co-commentating on a game involving Brazil.
He said of their keeper, He might be called Felix but he's no cat.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 27, 2018, 11:52:43 pm by RedJ »
Donnarumma is reportedly going for £35m, if he's going to replace Karius with anyone I'd go for him.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 28, 2018, 11:05:58 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
First goal - Poor from the keeper but decent hustle from Benzema
Second goal - Mistake, simple as, could happen to anyone

He's messed up, but he didn't do it on purpose.

He doesn't need reminding of the mistakes I am sure he will wake up every morning for the rest of his life thinking about them.

Most disappointing for me is the same club who live by You'll Never Walk Alone left him out to dry.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on May 28, 2018, 04:00:02 pm by Donnywolf »
Unfortunate for the "lad". He will live with it on a daily basis - but of course he is in good company judging by these 10 real howlers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmfUYz436zw

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 28, 2018, 06:54:10 pm by stuey »
If it was our keeper he would never hear the last of it, our fans would be on his back for ever

If you think our fans are bad, you should see what some Scousers are tweeting to him. Disgusting

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 28, 2018, 08:02:03 pm by ravenrover »
Are they scousers?

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 28, 2018, 09:11:51 pm by stuey »
Are they scousers?

OK, possibly not 'Scousers' but certainly Liverpool fans

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on May 28, 2018, 09:25:31 pm by ravenrover »
Are we sure on that?

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 28, 2018, 09:33:26 pm by bradford exile »
Really surprised Careless Hands & Gary Sprake hasn't bee mentioned. Just saying as he got Ken Dodds song at every ground didn't he??? Regards Ray

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 28, 2018, 10:09:35 pm by stuey »
Are we sure on that?

Clearly you disagree and you probably think the self proclaimed 'greatest fans in the world' would never stoop so low. Who knows, maybe they all are but some of the shit tweeted to him definitely comes from Liverpool 'fans'

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 28, 2018, 10:40:29 pm by Jonathan »
Unfortunately social media brings out the worst in people at these kind of times. It offers a platform for people to shock and appall while hiding behind a pseudonym. Whether they’re some kind of Liverpool fans or otherwise, they are a disgrace.

I expect the real, genuine Liverpool fans will rally round Karius and the club. Disappointments in football have a strange way of galvanising clubs and fans almost more than successes. As followers of Rovers and England we’re as used to it as anyone. Oddly it’s one of the most endearing parts of the game - that shared sense of despair. That’s the life of a football fan and you rally around your own.

Karius will no doubt get replaced as number one, but I bet next time he’s at Anfield he’ll get a rapturous round of applause. The lad was clearly gutted and apologetic. As a fan I like to see that it matters to the players, whether they’re going through good times or bad, that’s why I loved Gregg Blundell. Whether he was scoring goals or missing chances, he was giving his all and he played like a fan.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 29, 2018, 05:49:35 am by Donnywolf »
Really surprised Careless Hands & Gary Sprake hasn't bee mentioned. Just saying as he got Ken Dodds song at every ground didn't he??? Regards Ray

Cant believe that I am about to mention Des O Connor on here - but I am thinking it was him that had the massive hit with Careless Hands. Either way the Gary Sprake "one" is almost replicated in the Howlers I posted earlier       Reply #40

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 29, 2018, 09:08:16 am by bradford exile »

Cant believe that I am about to mention Des O Connor on here - but I am thinking it was him that had the massive hit with Careless Hands. Either way the Gary Sprake "one" is almost replicated in the Howlers I posted earlier       Reply #40

Yes mate sorry my mistake..still whoever I'm sure I remember Sprake getting loads of greif all around the country.

Regards

Ray

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on May 29, 2018, 09:14:59 am by idler »
I worked with a lad that followed Leeds all over England and Europe at that time. He said that although Sprake made the odd well publicised howler he regularly won them points with his displays.
Mind you, he was a proper fan.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 29, 2018, 09:35:07 am by Jonathan »
Don’t know about Des O’Connor having careless hands but Gary O’Connor certainly did

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on May 29, 2018, 10:32:54 am by Jimmydee »
Casper Smichael had a howler for Leicester when we played them at the Keepmoat, he missed the catch and it went in off his right shoulder.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on May 29, 2018, 11:09:36 am by RoversAlias »
Casper Smichael had a howler for Leicester when we played them at the Keepmoat, he missed the catch and it went in off his right shoulder.

Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy were on the Leicester bench that day as well.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012