Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 04:57:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: pessimistic  (Read 2690 times)

Red Rover

• Forum Member
pessimistic
« on June 17, 2011, 08:57:04 pm by Red Rover »
Dont wanna sound like a killjoy but is anybody else slightly pessimistic about the upcoming season?

Every other team seems to be rallying around us, signing players to improve their squads and a slight part of me is worried we are gonna be left behind. We dont seem to be doing anything about our lack of talent and strength-in-depth and I'm getting worried that this might be the season we get caught out, unless we sign 5 or 6 good players. look at the likes of barnsley, even they are signing players like craig davies, we dont seem arsed! :unsure:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RTID75

• VSC Member
Re: pessimistic
« Reply #1 on June 17, 2011, 09:00:58 pm by RTID75 »
Quote from: \"Red Rover\" post=162055
Dont wanna sound like a killjoy but is anybody else slightly pessimistic about the upcoming season?

Every other team seems to be rallying around us, signing players to improve their squads and a slight part of me is worried we are gonna be left behind. We dont seem to be doing anything about our lack of talent and strength-in-depth and I'm getting worried that this might be the season we get caught out, unless we sign 5 or 6 good players. look at the likes of barnsley, even they are signing players like craig davies, we dont seem arsed! :unsure:

So I take it you are so close to the board and management that you know that we have absolutely no irons in the fire? Somehow, I doubt it.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 17, 2011, 09:02:52 pm by RedJ »
Yeah, but we usually leave it until it's far too late then sign the shite nobody wants like Thomas.

herouk87

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 17, 2011, 09:04:10 pm by herouk87 »
And all the others aren't signing players. A couple of clubs have made moves but we are by no means the only club not to have signed anyone yet. I'm still not sure if Spurr has joined on not at this moment but he's definitely a transfer :S

Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 17, 2011, 09:05:05 pm by Red Rover »
Quote from: \"RTID75\" post=162056

So I take it you are so close to the board and management that you know that we have absolutely no irons in the fire? Somehow, I doubt it.

Im not saying that, but every other chuffing team is being pro-active, signing players already, and as we all know from previous seasons, we'll leave it til late August and eventually sign some shitehouse, pointless. We seem to be missing the boat with 'good' free agents

VixDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 17, 2011, 09:06:42 pm by VixDRFC »
I've not seen a lot of action from a lot of Championship teams to be honest, today's YP was about why Blades weren't going to sign Lowry or Mattock and we'd agreed a fee for Spurr.

I'm just glad I don't support Watford atm - top scorer and manager prised away at the same time - it could be far worse

VixDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 17, 2011, 09:12:57 pm by VixDRFC »
And before it gets pointed out I know Blades aren't Championship, it was just the headline in YP we were linked with

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 17, 2011, 09:24:09 pm by hoolahoop »
Plenty of time yet and plenty of excellent available players to us. We will be organised, pro-active and strike like a rattlesnake when we're ready.
Stop fussing there is absolutely no reason to be pessimidtic at this stage.

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 17, 2011, 09:29:18 pm by Berkshire Rover »

I know Derby have signed a few players (including Shackell) but the overwhelming impression I have at the moment is more clubs have lost good players (Cardiff, Millwall, Peterborough, Watford, and that ignores the relegated clubs who will have all on to retain their better players). I would love to see us sign half a dozen quality players but the acid test will be whether the new signings when they come (and they will come) are better than the ones we released, I'm confident they will be.

:rtid:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 17, 2011, 09:36:57 pm by wilts rover »
I seem to remember Preston, Scunny and Blades all signing players before us last season - much good it did them, as for our last minute signings would you be referring to the now in-demand George Friend or Billy Sharp (first came on loan in September 09 I believe).

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 17, 2011, 09:40:05 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Berkshire Rover\" post=162075

I know Derby have signed a few players (including Shackell) but the overwhelming impression I have at the moment is more clubs have lost good players (Cardiff, Millwall, Peterborough, Watford, and that ignores the relegated clubs who will have all on to retain their better players). I would love to see us sign half a dozen quality players but the acid test will be whether the new signings when they come (and they will come) are better than the ones we released, I'm confident they will be.

:rtid:

If they aren't they need to hang up their boots :laugh:

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 17, 2011, 09:41:15 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I'd be more pessimistic if we'd signed two £1m players and they were out for most of the season and the defence was decimated so we never had a settled back 4. Fingers crossed on the injury curse! Keep our squad fairly fit with a couple of reasonable additions and we'll be pushing the likes of Leicester f**kin City :scarf:

Interesting also looking at the betting odds for the first matches, Millwall have worse odds than us against Reading, as do Barnsley v Forest and Watford v Burnley. Leeds only a touch better v Saints.

And there'll be a couple of clubs struggle financially and at least a couple that just underperform.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 17, 2011, 09:41:27 pm by Jonathan »
Funnily enough I was just starting to feel the opposite.

I know we still have plenty of work to do as we haven't signed anyone yet and you correctly state we need to bring in at least half a dozen players to improve the squad, but the signs this week are showing promise.

Been saying for a while that we can't expect to pick up proven top level players in the peak of their form as it's unrealistic for a club like ours. If we expect a 6ft midfielder that can tackle, pass, run, defend and attack then we're barking up the wrong tree as those kind of players command multi-million pound transfer fees in the Premiership.

What we can do is exploit the market to the best of our ability, that means looking at options such as:

1. Good players that have lost their way a bit and need a change of scene - Spurr

2. Players from the divisions below with promise and potential - Bennett

It would appear both of these are close to signing and whilst there's still plenty of work to do, to me it shows promise that we are looking in the right areas.

If we are to add a third category, players from Premiership clubs that aren't likely to get a chance, then Ryan Mason would be good too!

pigeonhole

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 18, 2011, 08:37:08 am by pigeonhole »
Quote from: \"Jonathan\" post=162085
a 6ft midfielder that can tackle, pass, run, defend and attack

Does anyone remember Martin Woods?

VikingJames

« Reply #14 on June 18, 2011, 10:59:59 am by VikingJames »
Quote from: \"pigeonhole\" post=162124
Quote from: \"Jonathan\" post=162085
a 6ft midfielder that can tackle, pass, run, defend and attack

Does anyone remember Martin Woods?

Yeah, if only he could do those things. :dry:

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 18, 2011, 12:00:10 pm by steve@dcfd »

I have critised the board , but they will be trying their best to get the players we need. All these players have agents who will want the best for their players so if we are trying to sign players out of contract then we will have offered and awaiting decisions. We have offered money for a player and will be sorting out the contract. So to say they do not seemed to be arsed is being disrespectful to the board and a manager who always gives 100% for this club that you support.
I would like to see quality players signed, but if the lack of season tickets and supporters saying tickets are to expensive and would rather support their team away does not help the board. It puts more pressure on the board to provide their own finances to give the manager a budget that he deserves and to improve the playing staff. So we will have to be patient and see what players we can attract.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 18, 2011, 12:54:22 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Yes the signatures of two very young hungry footballers and no doubt talented is terrible just terrible!
:headbang:

Rover By The Tyne

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 18, 2011, 02:38:23 pm by Rover By The Tyne »
I think its more of a tactical move from the club by not announcing anything until we have agreed fees etc because if we say we are interest in signing a few players and the club names them other bigger clubs might go sniffing and offer a better deal. We know were the smallest club in the league and we cant compete with some of the wage bills the bigger clubs can.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 18, 2011, 02:40:57 pm by eastender »
Quote from: \"VixDRFC\" post=162063

I'm just glad I don't support Watford atm - top scorer and manager prised away at the same time - it could be far worse

It is far worse, they've also lost Will Buckley there best play maker to Brighton for £1m.:cheer:

Cheers Jonathon now corrected.(i was one move behind)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 18, 2011, 04:10:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We just can't be as unlucky as last season with injuries for a start.

Early pointers are moving for young talent - refreshing.

And, if the new youth and existing talent are harnessed by the experienced players we are keeping, then the momentum could definitely shift.

I addition, if we can get back to the brand of football we are renowned for, then we will win many friends. Well, would be nice to get some of our 'friends' attending the Keepmoat more often.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 18, 2011, 05:43:50 pm by Jonathan »
Quote from: \"eastender\" post=162165
Quote from: \"VixDRFC\" post=162063

It is far worse, they've also lost Will Buckley there best play maker to Norwich for £1m.:cheer:

Didn't Buckley head to Brighton to replace Elliot Bennett (the brother of whom is heading here) who went to Norwich?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012