Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 09:27:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: That goal last night........  (Read 3145 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
That goal last night........
« on March 17, 2010, 06:54:48 pm by normal rules »
Was at the match last night and what a refreshing change it was to stand up. Great support from the travelling rovers and a trip down memory lane. 20 years since ive been to London Road and it has not changed a bit behind the goal. Had my 13 yr old with me as usual and i told him in the \"listen to your dad\" type way that this was how football used to be when i was a lad etc etc.

Anyway - back to my point. Gareth Roberts goal last night was in my opinion the best i have seen by some margin by a rovers player in recent years.

Better than Elliot Wards overhead kick - even better than Quinten Fortunes volley and Copps' second against Southend.

My mate summed it up. He was sat in the mainstand with his lad(who is a posh fan). Their centre back headed the ball clear and he said to his lad \"what a great defensive header\"
the next second the ball was in the back of the net. He says to lad \"what a great goal\" (stunned look on face!!)

If that had been scored in the Milan Chelsea game they would be raving about it in the media.

But we are just a pub team doing pub team things so it goes unnoticed.
Worthy of any goal of the month competition.

Oh and at work today my mate said to me - \"it went a bit mental behind the goal when you got the winner - i thought you lot were going to end up on the pitch!!\"

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re:That goal last night........
« Reply #1 on March 17, 2010, 07:45:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Absolute stunner, I'm waiting to see it again very shortly hopefully, and again....and again......

MrCroft

« Reply #2 on March 17, 2010, 07:58:50 pm by MrCroft »
Bieng partly blind in one eye, and only seeing it the once (as of now) from behind the goal, it looked an absolute awesome goal, it looked like one of those volleys where you want a cross, because if the shot is 100% milli-metre perfect its going to miss the stands. The goal keepers reaction half proves this as I wont call that a attempt to save untill it was too late, as he must waited fot a cross, but even if he did try to save it from the minute it left roberts boot, I doubt it would have made much difference.

and likewise I look forward to watching the replay over and over

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 17, 2010, 08:12:33 pm by POD »
I thought Roberts goal against Watford was in line for goal of the season, but I've just seen the replay of his goal last night and it has definitely topped it.

He's starting to remind me of another left back we used to have at Old Belle Vue - Shoooooot!!!

MrCroft

« Reply #4 on March 17, 2010, 08:17:58 pm by MrCroft »
POD wrote:
I thought Roberts goal against Watford was in line for goal of the season, but I've just seen the replay of his goal last night and it has definitely topped it.

He's starting to remind me of another left back we used to have at Old Belle Vue - Shoooooot!!!

Where is it bieng shown?

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 17, 2010, 08:31:37 pm by Woodhead Passer »
Better than Elliot Wards overhead kick - even better than Quinten Fortunes volley and Copps' second against Southend.

Just let you know it wasnt a volley Fortunes, just cut inside and lobbed the keeper.

Speaking of volleys, what about Greeny's against Millwall? One of best goals ive seen, but now not sure which is best :laugh:

MrCroft

« Reply #6 on March 17, 2010, 08:41:39 pm by MrCroft »
adam3rovers wrote:

Just let you know it wasnt a volley Fortunes, just cut inside and lobbed the keeper.

Speaking of volleys, what about Greeny's against Millwall? One of best goals ive seen, but now not sure which is best :laugh:

Wilsons obvs, derby last season, half volley! nah i reckon Wilsons would have been a blinder if it had gone in against derby at pride park this season :P

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 17, 2010, 08:45:26 pm by i_ateallthepies »
We watch the team warm-up ahead of games and the strikers having shooting practice, (which Gareth doesn't take part in) and to be honest, it depresses me every week, most of them can't hit the target with no hairy arsed defenders closing them down.  Robbo's had three shots on goal this season and creamed every one of them.
He has the best shot of the whole squad by a country mile!!!

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 17, 2010, 08:47:14 pm by Fal »
adam3rovers wrote:

To be fair i thought Mulligans volley away at Barnsley was miles better, still have that match on DVD!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 17, 2010, 09:11:02 pm by BobG »
A Swindon supporting mate at work told me this morning that he'd seen Roberts' goal on Sky. Despite his obvious ecstasy at his lot winning down at Southampton, he couldn't wait to tell me just what a belter Gareth's goal was. It must have been bloody good indeed. Can't wait to see it.

BobG

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 17, 2010, 09:32:41 pm by Akinfenwa »
I saw the goal on Sky Sports News earlier. It was a great hit, the camera couldn't keep up with it. The highlights will be on the BBC website tomorrow.

Other recentish goals that rival that one IMO:
- Mulligan away at Barnsley
- Stock away at Forest
- Green away at Millwall
- Ward away at Wednesday

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 17, 2010, 10:42:06 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Highlights now on Player.

Such a clean hit with the outside of his left foot. Not sure which is the best strike, Roberts or JET.

I think Gareth's just nicks it for me.

Looking at rest of highlights, our defending needs to be much better from the bombs that will be thrown in to the area on Saturday.

I think we will be shouting 'Whoooshh' quite a few times when Blades players launch it !

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 17, 2010, 10:44:48 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Highlights are up on Player and BBC.

Starts at 05:13 in

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 17, 2010, 11:03:09 pm by Superspy »
i think iv watched roberts goal 5 times already now, haha :D

DadsleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 18, 2010, 12:03:32 am by DadsleyRover »
It was such a fluid movement from defensive header to Gareth Roberts connecting with the outward ball and sending it back so fast into the net. I saw it on Rovers Player so it took me about 15 minutes to view this but I paused it so I could see the 1.5 second play in real time.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 18, 2010, 07:49:37 am by DaveDRFC »
I think it was definitely the best goal I have seen from a Rovers player. Though looking at the replay I was relieved that the linesman didn't disallow it for Martis being offside and stood right in front of the keeper...but to be fair 2 keepers wouldn't have saved that one!!

Ladyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 18, 2010, 07:56:12 am by Ladyrover »
What a position to be in, trying to decide which goal is best, Gareth's or JET's. For me Gareth just shades it, but then again actually being at the game and seeing JET's...  Now for a whinge, why did we get to see all 3 of Sheff Utd's goals, both of Wednesday's, both of Barnsley's  and only 1 of ours on Calendar?

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 18, 2010, 08:10:27 am by danrover82 »
Great goal, the guys got an excellent ability for shooting outside the box, giving us a further dimension. Worthy left back recipient and owner of the SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT shout out. Time to dust it off and shout it loud and proud on saturday me thinks.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012