Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 04:57:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Remind me again why we left the EU  (Read 32029 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Remind me again why we left the EU
« Reply #660 on May 04, 2021, 11:47:36 pm by SydneyRover »
fishing without a brain again?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #661 on May 04, 2021, 11:49:01 pm by SydneyRover »
And while we are on the subject of fishing are you available to tow a generator down to the ferry to take across to Jersey.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #662 on May 05, 2021, 12:02:32 am by selby »
  To say they are trying to hurt us for leaving, they sure are doing some squealing and feet stamping don't you think.
  They must have been listening and watching the losers in this country for five years and think it is the thing to do.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:05:34 am by selby »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #663 on May 05, 2021, 12:09:59 am by SydneyRover »
Don't be so harsh on yourself selby

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #664 on May 05, 2021, 08:09:51 am by Herbert Anchovy »
British manufacturing activity has grown at its fastest rate for 27 years and April has seen its 11th consecutive month of growth.

Good news.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jefferson_MFG/status/1389506676911390721

Very good news.

But not according to the Office For National Statistics. Where has this report got it's figures from?

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/manufacturing-production

Bizarre how these alternative facts get bandied round. According to ONS data, manufacturing output didn't grow at all in December and shrank by 1.8% in January. By March, which as far as I can see is the last official ONS data, it was still 3% down on Feb 2020.

But yeah, believe your alternative facts if you want.

Alternative facts? Are you claiming to know more about UK manufacturing PMI figures than CIPS Billy? Or maybe you’re not googling the correct like for like data?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 09:29:41 am by Herbert Anchovy »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #665 on May 05, 2021, 08:30:44 am by drfchound »
British manufacturing activity has grown at its fastest rate for 27 years and April has seen its 11th consecutive month of growth.

Good news.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jefferson_MFG/status/1389506676911390721

Very good news.

But not according to the Office For National Statistics. Where has this report got it's figures from?

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/manufacturing-production

Bizarre how these alternative facts get bandied round. According to ONS data, manufacturing output didn't grow at all in December and shrank by 1.8% in January. By March, which as far as I can see is the last official ONS data, it was still 3% down on Feb 2020.

But yeah, believe your alternative facts if you want.

Alternative facts? Are you claiming to know more about UK manufacturing PMI figures than CIPS Billy? Or maybe you’re not googling the correct data Billy?

Conversations like this are a prime reason that I don’t read most of the links on the political threads.
Some posters only post  links that support their cause and when another poster puts on something that conflicts with their opinions they challenge the validity of it.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #666 on May 05, 2021, 08:43:29 am by SydneyRover »
That's why it pays to read widely, listen to the arguments and make informed decisions hound, the technical political debates here are really good and informative.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #667 on May 05, 2021, 08:54:45 am by drfchound »
Not if the posts and links are with a biased point of view, as they often are on here and backed up by like minded people.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #668 on May 05, 2021, 09:08:51 am by SydneyRover »
nothing wrong with point of view hound, you have one, everyone has one but the more fact it's based on the better it is.

as my squash coach used to say, 'the more you practice the luckier you get'

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #669 on May 05, 2021, 09:16:56 am by drfchound »
nothing wrong with point of view hound, you have one, everyone has one but the more fact it's based on the better it is.

as my squash coach used to say, 'the more you practice the luckier you get'

Your squash coach nicked that phrase from Gary Player.
As I said previously though, many of the points of view on this forum are from a very biased group point of view.
Alternative opinions are often discredited by the group.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #670 on May 05, 2021, 09:24:51 am by SydneyRover »
Of course they are if they are not based on fact hound

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #671 on May 05, 2021, 09:31:26 am by selby »
Its a fact the trade figures for the UK's trade with India, China, and the USA are included in those percentage figures of the EU's trade with the three countries for the period you quoted Syd, and wil not be the same again especially they are now in the grip of a double dip recession.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #672 on May 05, 2021, 09:36:57 am by SydneyRover »
No selby the trade figures for China would NOT be included in the figures for India-EU

this is what I posted selby prove me wrong

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #673 on May 05, 2021, 09:39:32 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Here are some trade figures for India-EU

''The EU is India's largest trading partner, accounting for €80 billion worth of trade in goods in 2019 or 11.1% of total Indian trade, on par with the USA and ahead of China (10.7%)''

https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/countries/india/#:~:text=Trade%20picture,the%20total)%20after%20the%20USA.

It’s a fair point. The question that I’d ask is how much the UK benefitted financially from being part of the EU trade deal? Obviously it’s split across the member states and an €80 billion trade deal won’t be split evenly across EU members. So, does the UK benefit more from an individual trade deal rather than a collective one? It’s a genuine question by the way, I’ve no idea of the answer.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #674 on May 05, 2021, 09:44:24 am by SydneyRover »
HA, I read somewhere, maybe part of that article that the UK has rollover deals in place with most if not all the countries traded with via the EU, which must I presume have to be renegotiated to incorporate the new circumstances.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #675 on May 05, 2021, 09:50:45 am by Herbert Anchovy »
HA, I read somewhere, maybe part of that article that the UK has rollover deals in place with most if not all the countries traded with via the EU, which must I presume have to be renegotiated to incorporate the new circumstances.

Thanks Sid. So, would I be right in thinking that, initially at least, the trade deal with India would be based on a similar value to the UK’s contribution to the EU-India trade deal?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #676 on May 05, 2021, 09:58:44 am by SydneyRover »
One would hope so HA, at least, but I don't know.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #677 on May 05, 2021, 10:07:23 am by Not Now Kato »

The government maintains a list of Trade Deals, (most are rollovers), here is the latest update and status of deals struck or in progress as at 1st May....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-trade-agreements-with-non-eu-countries

India is not on that list.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #678 on May 05, 2021, 10:41:10 am by selby »
  And in the meantime our trade with the EU is diminishing and our trade with the rest of the world is expanding while they go into a recession.
  The next twelve months could be interesting.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #679 on May 05, 2021, 10:54:04 am by SydneyRover »
Barnier has just published his diaries, so we'll know a lot more about the title of this thread over the next few weeks or so.

''Tory quarrels determined UK’s post-Brexit future, says Barnier
Revealed: EU chief negotiator’s diaries, The Great Illusion, give blow-by-blow account of moves behind UK’s departure''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/05/tory-quarrels-betrayals-uk-post-brexit-future-barnier-eu

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #680 on May 05, 2021, 11:09:05 am by belton rover »
Barnier has just published his diaries, so we'll know a lot more about the title of this thread over the next few weeks or so.

Revealed: EU chief negotiator’s diaries, The Great Illusion, give blow-by-blow account of moves behind UK’s departure''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/05/tory-quarrels-betrayals-uk-post-brexit-future-barnier-eu
And incredibly impartial.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #681 on May 05, 2021, 11:14:36 am by Metalmicky »

And incredibly impartial.

I'm sure it's a fair and even-handed representation of the brexit talks.... :silly:

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #682 on May 05, 2021, 09:06:36 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
It looks like the French are acting as level headed as ever!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56984886

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #683 on May 05, 2021, 09:42:49 pm by drfchound »

Is that an abuse of power?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #684 on May 05, 2021, 10:34:59 pm by normal rules »
Barnier prefers a full English over a croissant.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #685 on May 06, 2021, 12:19:40 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Thanks Sid. So, would I be right in thinking that, initially at least, the trade deal with India would be based on a similar value to the UK’s contribution to the EU-India trade deal?

The EU doesn't have any specific trade deal with India apart from the standard WTO GSP one-way preferential status

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #686 on May 06, 2021, 01:16:34 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Is that an abuse of power?

It is very close to threatening an act of war. There is a hospital on Jersey and to deliberately cut power to it could be seen as an attack threatening lives. If I were a senior British representative within NATO I would be calling France out on this.

Note however that this is one nation, France, behind this, not the EU.

IMHO it is always better to be in Alliances with neighbouring countries.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #687 on May 06, 2021, 01:27:22 pm by SydneyRover »
Barnier

''In the early hours of Christmas Eve - the very day the Trade and Cooperation Agreement was sealed - Mr Barnier describes the British unexpectedly serving up a dish of revised fish quotas as "a text riddled with pitfalls, false compromises and flashbacks"

looks like they wanted talks to fail? thankfully they didn't and an agreement was reached, well sort of.

Warships ..................... don't forget there's an election

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #688 on May 06, 2021, 01:36:51 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Barnier

''In the early hours of Christmas Eve - the very day the Trade and Cooperation Agreement was sealed - Mr Barnier describes the British unexpectedly serving up a dish of revised fish quotas as "a text riddled with pitfalls, false compromises and flashbacks"

looks like they wanted talks to fail? thankfully they didn't and an agreement was reached, well sort of.

Warships ..................... don't forget there's an election

I don't think it was wanting the talk to fail, but just doing exactly what they do in every other sphere - try and get away with stuff by not allowing it to be properly scrutinised. Hence turning up at the eleventh hour and trying to not give the other side enough time to read it properly.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #689 on May 06, 2021, 04:08:42 pm by belton rover »
Barnier

Lol
It even reads like a fairy tale.

Do us a favour Sydney - post a snippet every night about 7pm (BST). It’ll make a change from reading the Gruffalo (not much of a change, mind).

TinyPortal © 2005-2012