Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:13:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: \"Nice\" places to eat?  (Read 3398 times)

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
\"Nice\" places to eat?
« on January 02, 2011, 10:05:40 pm by DonnyNoel »
Hi all, I'm throwing myself on your mercy here, looking for recommendations of somewhere nice to eat either in town or even surrounding areas. Any type of food/restaurant.

By nice I obviously don't mean lobster & champers, but certainly above the kind of franchise average meal out.

Thanks in advance!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Re:\"Nice\" places to eat?
« Reply #1 on January 02, 2011, 10:11:55 pm by MrFrost »
Doncaster Tandoori
Everest
Relish
Zest
Elachi
Cactus Jacks
Carlos

GM-MarkB

« Reply #2 on January 02, 2011, 10:12:55 pm by GM-MarkB »
If you're prepared to travel 30 mins up the A1, I would definitely try the Swan Hotel at Aberford. The most extensive menu i've ever seen and i've never had a bad meal there.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 02, 2011, 10:17:18 pm by mushRTID »
Love Elachi and Cactus Jacks

leedshayter

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 03, 2011, 09:11:10 am by leedshayter »
used to be a regularat at the swan untill 4 of us went down with food poisoning in the summer,never again! :angry:  ;)  :(

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 03, 2011, 09:12:27 am by RedJ »
The Sportsman near the Doncaster Knights ground is nice. Go there every time we go out.

BLIR

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 03, 2011, 09:52:52 am by BLIR »
Agree with Cactus Jacks
Central Park?
Hare & Tortoise at Parrot's Corner?
King William IV at Oldcotes? (Brewer's Fayre, but a good one)

The Dav

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 03, 2011, 09:57:51 am by The Dav »
Zest or Relish for me chap.

scarbrook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 03, 2011, 10:38:25 am by scarbrook »
Olive tree in Barnby dun, Fantastic food very good prices.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 03, 2011, 12:11:31 pm by CusworthRovers »
Indian- Donny Tandoori

Italian- The one in Bawtry in the precinct with Dower House at the end. Best one by miles but more expensive. Name escapes me though

Cactus Jacks, Relish, Zest are all the same. Basic rich food, but locally OK.

I cannot say this enough, if you are prepared to travel and like Steaks, then go to the Ryther Arms in Ryther next to Sherburn Tin Helmet. About 35 mins drive, but the best steaks and biggest in the whole wide world. Seen a few footy and Rugby players in there too. Just a cheeky little pub in the middle of nowhere.

Ian H

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 03, 2011, 01:08:00 pm by Ian H »
Done this a few times:

Indian: Elachi or Kailash (and even Naaz)
Italian: last decent one I had was Carlos
Pub: Glasshouse is OK .... Bay Horse in Hatfield is an old fashioned Home Cooked type pub .... I was disappointed with the Olive Tree, but my wife enjoyed cooking her own Steak, no Veg just salad.

Didn't enjoy the Thai in Tickhill (Red Lion) ... there is a vey nice looking Italian Restaurant in the arcade near there (parking off St Mary's Road at the back)

Very interested in The Ryther Arms - not far from Copmanthorpe

scarbrook

• Forum Member
Re:
« Reply #11 on January 03, 2011, 08:49:40 pm by scarbrook »
CusworthRovers wrote:
Indian- Donny Tandoori

Italian- The one in Bawtry in the precinct with Dower House at the end. Best one by miles but more expensive. Name escapes me though

I cannot say this enough, if you are prepared to travel and like Steaks, then go to the Ryther Arms in Ryther next to Sherburn Tin Helmet. About 35 mins drive, but the best steaks and biggest in the whole wide world. Seen a few footy and Rugby players in there too. Just a cheeky little pub in the middle of nowhere.
You thinking of Zini's? One of the best steaks ive had was in there,just very expensive.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
Re:
« Reply #12 on January 03, 2011, 11:21:47 pm by 5minstogo »
CusworthRovers wrote:
Indian- Donny Tandoori

Another vote for Ryther Arms. Brilliant steak.

sham69

• Forum Member
Re:
« Reply #13 on January 04, 2011, 06:52:15 am by sham69 »
The Italian in Bawtry is Emilio's I think. If it is I agree it is probably the best, serving not your normal run of the mill Italian fun but offering something slightly different but excellent quality. Yes slightly more expensive.

For Sunday lunch I recommend the Blue Bell at Hatfield, not a carvery but everything cooked fresh and good sized portions.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
Re:
« Reply #14 on January 04, 2011, 07:16:00 am by DonnyNoel »
Brilliant - thanks guys. Been to a handful on that list but plenty to go on. Cheers!

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 04, 2011, 08:31:22 am by nice one rovers »
Emilio's definately the best from the above. most of the rest have a big bank of microwaves in their kitchen rather than real cooking.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 04, 2011, 10:59:08 am by CusworthRovers »
Late confirmation. It is Emilio's I was thinking of. As said, best Italian in the area. If you want that sort of food, expense....then look no further.

Steaks  = The Ryther Arms.

Muttley

• VSC Member
Re:
« Reply #17 on January 04, 2011, 12:53:46 pm by Muttley »
Ian H wrote:

[strike]Didn't enjoy the Thai[/strike] in Tickhill ([strike]Red Lion[/strike]) ... there is a vey nice looking Italian Restaurant in the arcade near there (parking off St Mary's Road at the back)

I think its owned by the same people who have got Zini's in Bawtry - went a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed with the food, the service or the miniscule portions.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 05, 2011, 12:32:52 pm by Savvy »
Not sure if your all aware, but the next time your in the market area, nip into the indoor market. There is a kid thats set himself up at the side of the Exchange Cafe!  Now you might have to wait a little, but the food is cooked in front of you and is well worth the wait and is very reasonably priced. He always comes up with some nibbles if your waiting but I always end up leaving a decent tip as the food is excellent! Mrs S loves the prawns in garlic, but I prefer the tapas!      

nutwellrover of dublin

Re:
« Reply #19 on January 05, 2011, 04:40:23 pm by nutwellrover of dublin »
no way god if you think the food in there is good then your taste buds must be F78KED!RedJ wrote:
The Sportsman near the Doncaster Knights ground is nice. Go there every time we go out.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012