Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:21:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Coventry City game  (Read 8593 times)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Coventry City game
« Reply #30 on January 15, 2020, 12:32:41 pm by DearneValleyRover »
The kid that impressed the most that day was Callum O'Hare, on loan from Villa, and apparently of interest to us at the beginning of the season.

He ran our defence ragged at times.

As I watched him that day he seemed to me the most obvious future Copps, I really wished he was playing for us.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on January 15, 2020, 07:47:38 pm by selby »
  If I remember rightly, they are not adverse to putting the boot in if they have to, was it this game they hacked Ennis down when he was breaking through,could have been his long injury out.
  And their late equaliser was a charge in the back in an ariel challenge before he hit a screamer from the edge of the box.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on January 15, 2020, 07:53:23 pm by IDM »
It was..’he got kicked just breaking through halfway not long before halftime..

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 16, 2020, 09:23:52 am by selby »
  There was a similar foul on TV that resulted in a sending off the other week, and never resulted in an injury that cost's a player time out of the game.
  Retrospective punishment should come in for such fouls, that are seen as professional fouls meant to stop a player getting an advantage in a game, and results in a serious injury, the opposing manager should have the right to bring the situation to the authorities attention in such circumstances. after the game, as it is coming into the game more and more, as defenders feel it is a free hit to do such things.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 17, 2020, 12:23:11 pm by selby »
It now looks more or less certain that we will be going into this game with no new signings over this week, and even if there is a surprise late arrival it would be hard to bring someone straight into the side that starts the game.
 Coppinger for  Gomes for a starting place is my preference giving us a bit more flair up top, Gomes a good option off the bench for any of the midfield for an injury if we need to, or to run the game down.
  Two interesting side shows in this game are the clashes of the talented mid field players on each side, and of course our present and recent past goalkeepers, all of which from what I have seen, on their day can be as good as any players in this division, with Coppinger having the experience and close control to do the magic moment that can change a game in an instant.
   We will have to play well as a team to get a result from this game, and the result could go a long way to both sides confidence as to their approach to the end of the season,we the home side hoping for a win, Coventry obviously also wanting a win, but would probably be the happier with not losing the game, as we were at St Andrews earlier in the season.
  So a game to look forward to, probably a larger than normal away following, and because of our slow entry if any into the transfer market window, a somewhat downcast in some cases home fans, doubting our ability to challenge near the top of the league without strengthening.
  Could this game give an indication of just where we are at with the Sunderland game to follow? probably in my view.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 17, 2020, 12:27:18 pm by IDM »
Game by game, at the moment, we have a very strong starting 11 and 4 or 5 sufficiently good enough from the bench.. therefore tomorrow’s fixture doesn’t worry me in terms of the squad..

With it being Copps’ 39th birthday, I wonder if there is any plan to mark that.?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on January 17, 2020, 12:54:31 pm by selby »
  I had no idea about that IDM, god where has the time gone, a fantastic servant and player for this club, we are unlikely to see the like of him play for us again, a player who matches the likes of any great player, and the club has had some that has preceded him, and deserves the way he is held in esteem by us the supporters.
  I hope he has a great day, and one we can share with him with a victory, which I am sure would be his main birthday wish and ours.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on January 17, 2020, 10:44:16 pm by NewDonny »
Here's a quote from the Coventry City Fans Forum:

"Interesting game. They’ve hit form and found something closer to their true position after being 3 or 4 games behind everyone else and of course it took a 89th minute equaliser to get anything against them at home. In their last 5 they’ve won 4 - the defeat coming against Sunderland. Wins against Peterborough, Oxford, Shrewsbury and Bristol Rovers. The first 3 we haven’t beat this season."

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on January 17, 2020, 10:51:46 pm by dknward2 »
Think it’s going to be a very even game either a draw or a narrow win either way

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 17, 2020, 10:58:51 pm by Paul Simpson »
I’d be happy with a point in this tough clash but actually believe we can beat them!! Come on you reds!! ⚽️⚽️🤞

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 18, 2020, 01:34:05 am by NewDonny »
This thread is more important than any other right now, all that matters is this weekends fixture against Coventry City.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 18, 2020, 07:55:46 am by NickDRFC »
Despite the struggles and squabbles of this week I’ve got a good feeling about today. Home win!

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 18, 2020, 08:10:01 am by godlike1 »
Let's get behined the team on the pitch and DM forget the farcical behaviour of those who are supposed to be helping and cheer them on no matter what.

Coventry and Mark Robins are a good team and on a good run as well as being one of the best we've played so far. Let's hope. DM has his tactics right as I think this could be like the Oxford game

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 18, 2020, 08:18:20 am by drfchound »
Agreed on it probably being a tight game.
I reckon it could be a one nil match.
I just hope we get the one.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 18, 2020, 08:31:12 am by Barmby Rover »
Having looked at the away game highlights again, with a strong team we produce better chances than Coventry, and should have won. At the moment the team is as strong again, I can see us winning 2-1.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 18, 2020, 08:59:57 am by Bezza »
What is the future for Coventry, would they still be homeless if they manage to get promoted.?.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 18, 2020, 09:40:55 am by andy didcott »
Come on u reds, looking forward to this one, gunna be a gud en.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 18, 2020, 09:46:58 am by SydneyRover »
A bit of chitchat on the Coventry forum a lot of it much the same as here with most saying they think it will be a tough game, would love to win but would take a point.

Sky Blue Texan
''Looks like Darren Moore and McSheffrey were on a spying mission in midweek to check out our team. Hope we’ve done our homework on them as well. Would love to win this one as it would be a big statement. Time to start beating the teams in and around the top 10 to get some separation''
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:58:38 am by SydneyRover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on January 18, 2020, 10:55:43 am by selby »
  I have watched every game home and away this season, and I believe that the team is only now beginning to put into practice and understand the way the manager wants to play the game.
  Since Christmas  our better form has been evident in results, but the actual organisation,and formation of the team during a match, especially when we lose the ball, how we get men across the field between our goal and the opposition players with banks of four in front of them, and players like Ennis and Taylor tackling back has been the reason for our improved defence.
  It is obvious that a lot of work is being done on the training pitch, and our young players are much more aware of where they need to be  on the pitch in certain circumstances. 
  The players are much the same in names as the team that started the season, but they are better players than they were at that time as a unit.
  I always maintained that under Sod every player we had under his tutelage were better players when they left than before he came to the club. My opinion is that our present management team are the same, and we are starting to see how good this side can be as a unit, and the players we have are going to have every opportunity to improve their game while at this club.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on January 18, 2020, 11:00:00 am by Chris Black come back »
Agree with all that with exception of Tomi Ameobi.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on January 18, 2020, 11:18:41 am by Campsall rover »
Looks a very tough and close game on paper and has 1-1 or 1-0 written all over it.

So that’s a guaranteed 3-2 or 3-3 result today.  :zzz:

Expecting an entertaining game and would be surprised if Coventry come and shut up shop.
Think it will be an open game. 1st goal is always huge, not decisive if it comes early of course, but we definitely seem to be more comfortable when we score 1st especially at home.

Let’s hope Copps gets the birthday present he would want today.
3 points.  :)

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 18, 2020, 11:35:54 am by Retdon1 »
Our team picks its self today baring any injuries

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on January 18, 2020, 11:39:27 am by NewDonny »
  I have watched every game home and away this season, and I believe that the team is only now beginning to put into practice and understand the way the manager wants to play the game.
  Since Christmas  our better form has been evident in results, but the actual organisation,and formation of the team during a match, especially when we lose the ball, how we get men across the field between our goal and the opposition players with banks of four in front of them, and players like Ennis and Taylor tackling back has been the reason for our improved defence.
  It is obvious that a lot of work is being done on the training pitch, and our young players are much more aware of where they need to be  on the pitch in certain circumstances. 
  The players are much the same in names as the team that started the season, but they are better players than they were at that time as a unit.
  I always maintained that under Sod every player we had under his tutelage were better players when they left than before he came to the club. My opinion is that our present management team are the same, and we are starting to see how good this side can be as a unit, and the players we have are going to have every opportunity to improve their game while at this club.

I have been at all the home and away games with the exception of one away game but don't agree with your observations, tbh I think your over thinking this.

For me the players have been playing to the managements instructions since and they have been understood and carried out very well since the day he arrived. We had some excellent performances, very similar to this last month at the beginning of the season you will remember and then a dip with some mixed results. The reason for the most recent improved performances is down pure and simply to the fact that we have been able to field our best 11 and been able to keep them on the feild free from injury.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 18, 2020, 11:51:06 am by Campsall rover »
It’s a mixture of having our best 11 on the field and the obvious hard work that has been done on the training ground.
The defensive work done is so clear to see. We are very organised and hard to score against. That doesn’t happen by accident.

Having said all that Niall Ennis is a huge plus for us. The whole function of the team is so much more effective when he is in the team.
The statistics bears this out with the number of points we have got when he plays.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 18, 2020, 11:56:27 am by NewDonny »
It’s a mixture of having our best 11 on the field and the obvious hard work that has been done on the training ground.
The defensive work done is so clear to see. We are very organised and hard to score against. That doesn’t happen by accident.

Having said all that Niall Ennis is a huge plus for us. The whole function of the team is so much more effective when he is in the team.
The statistics bears this out with the number of points we have got when he plays.

You cannot operate as a 11 without an effective hard working physical CF, he is the foil to the whole side.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on January 18, 2020, 11:59:27 am by IDM »
It does frustrate me when fans are shouting for us to close players down or go in for a tackle, when it is just as important to be in the best positions to defend - preventing the dangerous crosses or a killer pass.  Some folks said Shrewsbury were poor opposition - I would say we would never know because of the way we played, we nullified any threat they may have posed.  That was really apparent in the first half when in all fairness we weren’t so great ourselves going forwards.

We are at the moment very difficult to beat - Sunderland managed it by being more competitive on the night in every position.

Today I can’t expect a goal fest, even though both sides can play decent football.

What price 1-0 with Copps scoring.?

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on January 18, 2020, 12:08:11 pm by NewDonny »
It does frustrate me when fans are shouting for us to close players down or go in for a tackle, when it is just as important to be in the best positions to defend - preventing the dangerous crosses or a killer pass.  Some folks said Shrewsbury were poor opposition - I would say we would never know because of the way we played, we nullified any threat they may have posed.  That was really apparent in the first half when in all fairness we weren’t so great ourselves going forwards.

We are at the moment very difficult to beat - Sunderland managed it by being more competitive on the night in every position.

Today I can’t expect a goal fest, even though both sides can play decent football.

What price 1-0 with Copps scoring.?

Spot on, its about defending as a unit, defending the space, not letting the opposition get in behind you, nothing anymore about putting in tackles and putting your opposite number in row Z, thats long gone.

As regards Shrewsbury, you play whats in front of you, irrespective of the opposition. We have dropped points against inferior opposition this season yet gained points against very good sides, its all too easy to dismiss a side and drop your guard and come off second best. We did the job that was expected on Shrewsbury and took all three points, end of subject!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on January 18, 2020, 12:10:54 pm by sha66y »
We lost to Sunderland because we didn’t Field our strongest team if I remember....Copps  and James on the bench , Gomez in midfield looking overawed and Cameron John at left back not getting down the channels and linking play.....

We got beat because the team lacked true balance....my opinion of course

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on January 18, 2020, 12:24:18 pm by IDM »
Well I was originally expecting to miss today’s game, but plans have changed and I will be on my way soon..  it was a decent match when we played them at St. Andrews, so I’m hoping for the same, albeit with a couple of extra points in the bag..

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on January 18, 2020, 12:44:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
As our most creative midfielder I certainly expect Copps to start. Another assist today to add to the one on Tuesday night, wonder how many that is for the season now.....cue BST’s stat ‘machine’.😉

You don't need me spadger. The Press Association does it for you, via the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/doncaster-rovers/top-scorers

TinyPortal © 2005-2012