Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:16:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Penalties  (Read 1975 times)

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
Penalties
« on February 05, 2012, 01:06:34 pm by ditch_drfc »
Watching MOTD and the footy league show last night made me think, does anyone know who our penalty taker is now Billy's gone?

Did it used to be Stock? Maybe Diouf now?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

pubteam

Re: Penalties
« Reply #1 on February 05, 2012, 01:11:58 pm by pubteam »
I would guess Stock or Martin Woods.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 05, 2012, 01:13:37 pm by Akinfenwa »
I think Stock still has a 100% success rate when taking penalties. I've always thought he was our best penalty taker even though Billy took them.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 05, 2012, 01:18:07 pm by karldew »
Stock if he starts/isnt injured, if not then it'll probably be diouf or woods

mutleyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 05, 2012, 01:38:14 pm by mutleyrover »
Woods should never be let near a penalty for us again after that Newcastle effort. Its the first time anybody sat in the away end at St James Park / Sports Direct? could say they were close to the action.

Simple

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 05, 2012, 01:39:57 pm by Simple »
Quote from: \"mutleyrover\" post=217975
Woods should never be let near a penalty for us again after that Newcastle effort.

Agreed...shocking effort.  Hayter has taken them in the past too.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 05, 2012, 01:43:47 pm by ditch_drfc »
Well whoever it is, I hope DS has told the players! :scarf:

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 05, 2012, 01:52:32 pm by jonnydog »
Worst penatly I've seen was Coppingers against Walsall a few seasons ago. We were 2-0 up at half time from what I can remember, then they scored 3 in the 2nd half. Coppinger had the chance to equalise and totally fluffed the kick, going for either a 'chip' style kick, or a tap in. Either way it was shite.

Game of literally two halves. It was also the worst second half performance I've seen during the re-born era!

... Whats Brown like at Penalties?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 05, 2012, 02:14:12 pm by NickDRFC »
Didn't brown get one against tranmere? Then again, he'd have to get on the pitch first...

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 05, 2012, 02:15:16 pm by mushRTID »
I remember Coppingers. It was simply awful, scuffed it wide i think to the keepers right.

Woods at Newcastle for me almost ruined my birthday weekend, luckily the night out was brilliant and saved it.

Stock for me. Any penalty we get between now and may could be massive (unless were 3 or 4 down and get one last minute). Mr cool is Stocky.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 05, 2012, 02:46:30 pm by Mr1Croft »
Hayter had been a reliable penalty taker before Sharp arrived, and I believe either him or Stock will be penalty taker, but something tells me Diouf will probably be the man responsible with spot kicks

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 05, 2012, 02:52:58 pm by NickDRFC »
Didn't hayter miss against Bristol this year? Stock all day long for me, has he missed one for us?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 05, 2012, 02:56:38 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"NickDRFC\" post=218003
Didn't hayter miss against Bristol this year? Stock all day long for me, has he missed one for us?

Not exactly, James made a good save against his spot kick, if memory serves me correctly.

Hayts or Stocky for me.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 05, 2012, 03:45:07 pm by The Red Baron »
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=218005
Quote from: \"NickDRFC\" post=218003

Not exactly, James made a good save against his spot kick, if memory serves me correctly.

Hayts or Stocky for me.

Must admit, I've never gone for this \"goalkeeper saved the penalty\" business. They're either scored or missed. If you take them properly no goalkeeper in the world will save 'em.

Stock would be my choice. It would be good to have a couple of alternatives just in case.

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 05, 2012, 04:39:43 pm by phil o sophical »
Wouldn't worry too much about that, we've got to find a ref that will give us one first

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 05, 2012, 04:40:55 pm by RoversAlias »
Quote from: \"jonnydog\" post=217979
Worst penatly I've seen was Coppingers against Walsall a few seasons ago. We were 2-0 up at half time from what I can remember, then they scored 3 in the 2nd half. Coppinger had the chance to equalise and totally fluffed the kick, going for either a 'chip' style kick, or a tap in. Either way it was shite.

Game of literally two halves. It was also the worst second half performance I've seen during the re-born era!

God yes, that was SUCH an awful performance. Copps miss put the icing on the cake, and then Guy got sent off for the cherry on top!

Hayter missed one against Bristol City, as far as I know the only other one we've had this season is Brown's goal against Tranmere.

I'd give them to Hayter still, and if he's not on the pitch Stock. Martin Woods did score one once against Tottenham but that miss at Newcastle was the worst penalty I've seen from a Rovers player.

:laugh: Excellent point that is Phil.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 05, 2012, 04:46:45 pm by Akinfenwa »
Sharp scored a penalty at Millwall I think.

That Woods penalty was terrible. We'd have probably gone on to be the only team to beat Newcastle at SJP that season if he'd have buried it.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 05, 2012, 05:32:56 pm by RobTheRover »
Quote from: \"phil o sophical\" post=218029
Wouldn't worry too much about that, we've got to find a ref that will give us one first

Exactly right. I seem to recall we could have had 3 or 4 in our last few home games and all turned down.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 06, 2012, 10:38:46 am by sedwardsdrfc »
yeah that coppinger one was poo hayter aint too good either stock or diouf for me but we never get any pens anyway

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 06, 2012, 08:50:06 pm by glosterred »
Quote from: \"Simple\" post=217976
Quote from: \"mutleyrover\" post=217975
Woods should never be let near a penalty for us again after that Newcastle effort.

Agreed...shocking effort.  Hayter has taken them in the past too.

And Hayter missed the last one he took - fortunately he got the equaliser though!

:scarf:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012