Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:15:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Penalty  (Read 5293 times)

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
Re: Penalty
« Reply #30 on May 04, 2014, 01:06:30 pm by BigColSutherland »
Does it really matter?

I look forward to you hosting Praise Or Grumble next season.

"It's an irrelevant Seth"

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 04, 2014, 01:57:05 pm by IDM »
From our corner view, it looked a penalty.  A soft one yes, but a penalty.  On the video it does look like it could be outside the box but can't really blame the ref for giving it.  And it looks like he does just clip the forward, toe to toe.

Anyway, unless I am mistaken, a foul can be committed if the layer "trips or attempts to trip" his opponent.  So contact therefore needs to be minimal?

Anyway, holding a 100 point team to only a 1-0 score at their place, wouldn't on any other day be seen as a bad result....

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 04, 2014, 02:11:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It's pretty clear that Husband just caught him. You can tell from Husband's reaction. But it was definitely outside the box.

Hey ho. It happens. Twice to Husband this season and regularly to us as a club.

Beerseller

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 04, 2014, 03:12:58 pm by Beerseller »
Well, I watched the incident as it happened on a reasonable quality stream, I was sat with a neutral and we both agreed it was a stonewall penalty at first look and after watching a few replays.

I described it on here a couple of hours later and got the whole scenario completely wrong, I described it in this thread later still and was even more wrong.  Watching it again, it looks outside the box and like he didn't touch him.  I blame emotions/hormones/alcohol for my errors.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 04, 2014, 08:52:01 pm by PDX_Rover »
It happened very quickly. With the hindsight of replays, it's not a spot kick. The live stream showed several different angles and there is one bang opposite the incident on the near touchline and from that one it looked like Husband made no contact. Two Rovers players had a go at the ref - Neill and I think Quinny.

I'm all for video reviews in key instances like this. Shades of the pen at Watford.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:54:50 pm by PDX_Rover »

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 05, 2014, 06:52:46 am by Wellred »
It happened very quickly. With the hindsight of replays, it's not a spot kick. The live stream showed several different angles and there is one bang opposite the incident on the near touchline and from that one it looked like Husband made no contact. Two Rovers players had a go at the ref - Neill and I think Quinny.

I'm all for video reviews in key instances like this. Shades of the pen at Watford.

Would you also have videos reviews for blatant handball incidents. Like the one you seem to be conveniently avoiding.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 05, 2014, 07:09:45 am by Dagenham Rover »
Not all incidents can be reviewed obviously, but If the ref deems its a penalty automatically review it, it'd take no more than 20 seconds.

Most refs probably want  to do a decent enough job but there are too many mistakes that can be avoided and with the amount of £'s in the game nowadays they should be given every oppurtunity to get the decision correct.

So if the ref blows up for a penalty review it!

Milepostuk

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 05, 2014, 07:27:06 am by Milepostuk »
Was this a more obvious penalty to relegate a team than the one not given against Chelsea yesterday?

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 05, 2014, 07:38:31 am by Dagenham Rover »
Perhaps allow each manager the ability to challenge say 1 or perhaps 2 incidents per match, and as I said above if the ref blows for a penalty its automatically reviewed, no more than 2/3 minutes per game added.
Controversy's  may create discussion but its costing owners etc miliions, there would still be plenty of controversial decisions about

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 05, 2014, 08:04:01 am by Belle_Vue »
Maybe the captain and manager and decide to appeal the decision or not. 1 on the pitch 1 on the sidelines. However I'm sure players, staff and fans could influence them

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 05, 2014, 09:56:09 am by Wellred »
Not all incidents can be reviewed obviously, but If the ref deems its a penalty automatically review it, it'd take no more than 20 seconds.

Most refs probably want  to do a decent enough job but there are too many mistakes that can be avoided and with the amount of £'s in the game nowadays they should be given every oppurtunity to get the decision correct.

But what if a ref doesn't give a penalty when it clearly is one? Do you review that as well?
Referees are fallible television has been the ruin of football.
We wouldn't have been having this discussion 30 years ago.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 05, 2014, 11:03:02 am by RobTheRover »
The handball by Neill was ball to hand following a deflection. That's why it wasn't given.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 05, 2014, 11:32:59 am by selby »
have seen one replay of the penalty showing more of the build up but not the dropped ball.
   The player who cut inside at first glance looked to be offside before receiving the ball.
   I have only seen this once but Husband was definatly forward of the player and had to turn back towards his own goal to challenge him.
   I would be disapointed if the lino missed offside in front of him but can see an incident and judge to six inch from 30mtrs.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 05, 2014, 11:39:12 am by GazLaz »
He moved his arm towards the ball.

Beerseller

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 05, 2014, 12:13:38 pm by Beerseller »

But what if a ref doesn't give a penalty when it clearly is one? Do you review that as well?
Referees are fallible television has been the ruin of football.
We wouldn't have been having this discussion 30 years ago.

These are the main reasons I am against the use of video and other technology to assist refs.

I fully agree that if the ref gives a decision, the game comes to a necessary halt and its easy to review and decide whether he is right.   The problem comes when a ref fails to give a decision and the game doesn't stop to allow a review.  How far back could you rewind a game, could the game carry on another minute or so until say a goal is scored but the ref then hold the goal decision until he's reviewed the earlier incident?

I know we've had rule changes to passing to the keeper, how long the keeper holds the ball, offside and maybe one or two others but they've been changes that allowed the game to more or less carry on as a spectacle as it ever did.  I've enjoyed football for 40 odd years and, despite the apparently incorrect decision at Leicester, I don't want to see a change to it.  The immediacy of the emotion which the game provokes is what makes it as good as it is.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 05, 2014, 01:12:21 pm by Wellred »
The handball by Neill was ball to hand following a deflection. That's why it wasn't given.

I am sure if that had happened at the other end of the pitch you wouldn't be saying that.

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 05, 2014, 01:17:37 pm by BigColSutherland »
I would be disapointed if the lino missed offside in front of him but can see an incident and judge to six inch from 30mtrs.
The lino didn't do anything for the pen. Kept his flag down.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012