Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 05:54:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Penalties  (Read 5127 times)

glosterred

• VSC Member
Penalties
« on October 22, 2016, 06:08:24 pm by glosterred »
That's four we have missed now, Williams, Marquis and 2 by Rowe. Who is next on the list to step up and take them? Williams and Marquis were changed after 1 Miss each. Time for Rowe to step aside now.

COYR

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Penalties
« Reply #1 on October 22, 2016, 06:11:13 pm by GazLaz »
The best person should take them all the time. Don't change. If they are the best why change?

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 22, 2016, 06:13:10 pm by glosterred »
But who is the best

COYR

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 22, 2016, 06:19:06 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
What is it that makes penalties so difficult to convert? For heaven's sake, these are full time professionals kicking a stationary ball into a goal measuring 8 yards by 6 feet. And we moan like hell when we consider the referee commits a serious error........but there you are, players are only human, aren't they?   :)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 22, 2016, 06:21:02 pm by GazLaz »
But who is the best

COYR

I'm sure they can work that out in training.

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 22, 2016, 07:37:20 pm by Jersey Rover »
The Beast

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 22, 2016, 08:27:49 pm by i_ateallthepies »
What is it that makes penalties so difficult to convert? For heaven's sake, these are full time professionals kicking a stationary ball into a goal measuring 8 yards by 6 feet. And we moan like hell when we consider the referee commits a serious error........but there you are, players are only human, aren't they?   :)

What sport are you playing Wiltshire?  I'm sure every 6ft goalkeeper I've ever seen has to put his arms at full stretch and still jump to touch the crossbar.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 22, 2016, 09:42:19 pm by the vicar »
The Beast
it is about time he Ferguson  let's us have a look at the Beast he says he is ready but we still don't see him just Mandeville who doesn't improve

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 22, 2016, 09:46:35 pm by drfchound »
Agreed Vicar.
Mandeville hasn't done enough.
He had a decent hour in the last home game and has a decent attitude but hasn't done enough to seal his place.
Maybe it is time to give Beestin an opportunity.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 22, 2016, 09:50:14 pm by Draytonian III »
Why not change the penalty taker each time,success or not . I was there today and everyone in the ground knew where he was going to put . The keeper should have been sent off ,last man

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 22, 2016, 09:58:36 pm by GazLaz »
Agreed Vicar.
Mandeville hasn't done enough.
He had a decent hour in the last home game and has a decent attitude but hasn't done enough to seal his place.
Maybe it is time to give Beestin an opportunity.

When was the last time we brought through a youth teamed that really made an impact. Probability suggests the current crop will follow suit.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 22, 2016, 10:15:26 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Why not change the penalty taker each time,success or not . I was there today and everyone in the ground knew where he was going to put . The keeper should have been sent off ,last man

Denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity is no longer red card offence when deemed to be unintentional

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 22, 2016, 10:46:14 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

What sport are you playing Wiltshire?  I'm sure every 6ft goalkeeper I've ever seen has to put his arms at full stretch and still jump to touch the crossbar.

Goals are 8 yards wide and 8 feet high, (not 6 feet as in my original post :blush:)

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 22, 2016, 10:49:11 pm by POD »
The two penalties which Rowe took were very similar.  The only difference was the height of the ball.  The first was kept low and gave the keeper no chance.  The second was middle height and gave the keeper the chance to save.  It is just a case of technique and perhaps more importantly practice.  If Rowe takes ten penalties in practice every day and puts them in the same corner and at the same height and pace, he will score every time.  Then when it comes to match day he will score just like in practice. 

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 23, 2016, 12:31:02 am by eastender »
Why not change the penalty taker each time,success or not .

Just like Man Utd did on Thursday against Fenerbache.
Pogba scored the 1st penalty , but martial took the 2nd and also scored.

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 23, 2016, 12:41:07 am by CrippyCooke »
Why not change the penalty taker each time,success or not .

Just like Man Utd did on Thursday against Fenerbache.
Pogba scored the 1st penalty , but martial took the 2nd and also scored.

If we tried that and the second taker missed then people on here would lose their minds.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 23, 2016, 12:59:26 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Put your foot through the ball and hit the target and even poor penalties go in. When you try to be too clever placing the ball that's when it goes wrong. Personally when Rowe scored his first penalty i would have liked to have seem somebody else take the second one.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 23, 2016, 10:40:03 am by IDM »
All our penalties have hit the target, if you include Rowe hitting the post vs Carlisle.

Sometimes it is just luck where the keeper guesses the right way..  A "tame" penalty suddenly becomes a "cool finish" when the keeper goes the wrong way.

How many have we skied over the bar???

None,

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 23, 2016, 01:29:26 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
There's a difference between a player taking a penalty to a penalty taker.

Once someone makes their mind up which side they're going then you're trust to luck. At that height if the keeper guesses right, it'll be saved.

Top corner takers like Heffernan reduce that risk. Brian Stock used to wait for the keeper to move and roll it in the opposite corner.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 23, 2016, 01:48:56 pm by IDM »

When someone scores one, the previous misses will be quickly forgotten.

That's not what happened yesterday though is it?

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 23, 2016, 02:00:53 pm by Drover »
But who is the best

COYR

Copps for me,but then again,I don't see them in training.

I'm sure they can work that out in training.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 23, 2016, 02:23:34 pm by Donnywolf »
What was McIndoes conversion rate ?

Seem to recall very good from the spot with same ritual. Kiss ball put on spot and put ball an inch inside post. If keeper dived right way and there was a gap between the post of the width of a ball + an inch the ball usually went in

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 23, 2016, 04:32:18 pm by IDM »
It'll happen eventually though that someone will score one. Because it's gone on for a prolonged fluke, and had attention drawn towards it, it just increases the pressure.

But when someone does score, that's it. Situation ended, pressure over.

We did score one yesterday.  Missed that did you??

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 23, 2016, 08:40:09 pm by IDM »
Not point scoring at all..

You said "when someone does score"..

and before that

"When someone scores one, the previous misses will be quickly forgotten"..

all I did was remind you, both times, that we did score one on Saturday,  You didn't acknowledge the first response, which I found odd. 

Nowt to do with point scoring, just highlighting something you missed or chose to ignore!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 23, 2016, 11:52:14 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
It's cost us a fair few points already, maybe not yesterday but the other games we could have got a few more points than we did. Overall we are doing okay we are in touch at the top, scoring plenty of goals we just need to stop leaking at the other end.
I'm surprised Coppinger doesn't take penalties, he is the coolest man on the field. As it is Rowe took a good one and scored and the other he just didn't connect right with it and the keeper had an easy save.
I don't think nerves did it just not striking the ball as he wanted led to him missing.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 24, 2016, 06:37:39 pm by drfchound »
Also all four of Rowes pens have been similar.
Keepers watch videos and must have had a good idea where the fourth one was going.
Penalty takers should vary their attempts.
As I said previously though, four or five feet high smashed straight always go in.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 24, 2016, 10:10:49 pm by Draytonian III »
I agree totally,no keeper is just going to stand there, all dive one way or another. Also with there being tv coverage of all the league goals and scouts in the stands why not vary the penalty takers each game, when a team trains before a cup replay all the players practice, so why not do it every week for an hour or so ,giving the keepers practice but also the outfield players practice as well.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012