Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 08:15:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Pele, Argentina and the Dictators  (Read 1493 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Pele, Argentina and the Dictators
« on August 31, 2020, 04:26:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Just been watching the documentary of that name on iPlayer. I very much recommend it.

Apart from the political angle, listening to the old men who played in the WC winning sides in 1970 and 1978 is a joy.

There's a section where Rivelino, Gerson and Jairzinho are describing Carlos Alberto's goal. And it is spellbinding to listen to them. Their realisation that they touched the heavens at that moment.

A journalist says in that documentary that that goal encapsulated all that we seek from football. I'd say the pleasure in those old men's memories is probably as beautiful as the goal itself. That's what football gives.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Pele, Argentina and the Dictators
« Reply #1 on August 31, 2020, 04:27:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And by the way, that bobble just before Carlos Alberto let fly must be THE most fortuitous one of all time.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 31, 2020, 04:53:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The Argentina story is horrific though. There was a torture camp less than half a mile from the stadium where they won the final. Political prisoners of the fascist dictatorship were brutalised and killed there, right under the mask of the celebration of football.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 02, 2020, 10:49:46 am by roversdude »
Will have to look this up BST

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 02, 2020, 10:55:56 am by Metalmicky »
Got it downloaded - going to watch at lunchtime.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 02, 2020, 11:12:40 am by Bollinger »
The Argentina story is horrific though. There was a torture camp less than half a mile from the stadium where they won the final. Political prisoners of the fascist dictatorship were brutalised and killed there, right under the mask of the celebration of football.

And add to that and the fact that Peru were 'persuaded' to throw the game against Argentina en route. It always amazes me that more isn't made of it. Anyway, after the bent World Cup, the Falklands and the Hand of God I have refused to buy Argentinian wine so that's showed 'em.

Thanks for the head up BST. For now will focus on the beautiful side of the game. 

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 02, 2020, 11:18:59 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Bollinger

I always thought that the Peru bribery was a cast iron fact. I'd read that the Argentine Govt had agreed to send a group of political prisoners to Lima for...ahh...questioning as their side of the deal.

But that documentary says no hard evidence exists. 

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 02, 2020, 01:22:35 pm by Bollinger »
I seem to recall a Peruvian minister giving evidence and admitting to an exchange of dissidents as part of the same arrangement. And I know one of their strikers (Luque?) and said something to the effect that he wasn't proud of the victory knowing what he had learned in later years. I was under the impression the team themselves knew nothing of the 'agreement'.

Anyway, the Malbec ban continues.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 02, 2020, 01:25:01 pm by Bessie Red »
Just been watching the documentary of that name on iPlayer. I very much recommend it.

Apart from the political angle, listening to the old men who played in the WC winning sides in 1970 and 1978 is a joy.

There's a section where Rivelino, Gerson and Jairzinho are describing Carlos Alberto's goal. And it is spellbinding to listen to them. Their realisation that they touched the heavens at that moment.

A journalist says in that documentary that that goal encapsulated all that we seek from football. I'd say the pleasure in those old men's memories is probably as beautiful as the goal itself. That's what football gives.
Watched it when it first aired. It is a very good insight into how politics is so entwined with South American football. A great watch if anyone gets chance to watch it.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 02, 2020, 02:28:08 pm by Metalmicky »

Watched it when it first aired. It is a very good insight into how politics is so entwined with South American football. A great watch if anyone gets chance to watch it.

Tenuous links alert........

For those interested there was series on Netflix called Maradona in Mexico that I watched and enjoyed about his time as a manager of Mexico’s Dorados de Sinaloa club. 

There was also a film on Channel 4 not long back called simply 'Diego Maradona' which was really good and (if interested) you should be able to get it on All 4....

in fact here is a link... https://www.channel4.com/programmes/diego-maradona

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 02, 2020, 03:37:32 pm by elmsallrover »
Two excellent things to watch

TinyPortal © 2005-2012