Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:01:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: junior sunday football.  (Read 5517 times)

Nudga

• Forum Member
junior sunday football.
« on October 06, 2015, 01:54:30 pm by Nudga »
I've just recently set up a junior football team and on the pitch, things are going great. The boys are improving every week and they love the training and obviously the matches.
Now I'm not one of those coaches who goes all out for the win as my age group is under 8s and are still developing so I operate with a rotation and rolling subs policy where each boy gets equal game time.
Four games in and I am already hearing whispers from parents who disagree with certain things.
I know a few of you lads are involved in junior football so is it always like this and what advice can you give?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Re: junior sunday football.
« Reply #1 on October 06, 2015, 01:57:23 pm by Dare to dream! »
No experience here but I would just ingnore them. They're only like fans...never happy!

I like the equal game time policy.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 06, 2015, 01:58:34 pm by knockers »
If you have not had two of the parents fighting yet then you're doing ok :boxing:

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 06, 2015, 02:04:31 pm by tommy toes »
I was involved with Armthorpe Rovers with my lad from when he was 5 to 16. I refereed most of the games and assisted with some coaching.
Our coach had the same policy as you, with the same reaction from the parents, who were always more of a problem than the kids.
We called a meeting eventually and reaffirmed the policy of giving every lad a chance. Some develop more slowly and need a good run in the team.
If some parents didn't agree they were free to take their boys elsewhere and some did.
Didn't stop us eventually winning the league.
Stick to your policy Nudga. It's the best and fairest way.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 06, 2015, 02:36:43 pm by RobTheRover »
Agree with Tommy. A lot of parents (and some coaches)  live out their own failed football fantasies through their kids. The "win at all cost" attitude is not what we should be teaching our 7 and 8 year olds. They need to learn to love the game and enjoy it,  not be pressurised into win,  win, win. I've always said the kids learn a lot more from a 4-3 defeat than a 10-0 win. Stick to your guns,  Nudga. It's all about player development. If some parents don't agree then I'm afraid they have no part to play in junior football.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 06, 2015, 03:01:12 pm by Mike_F »
My lad asked me a couple of weeks ago if he could join a team. I know they can't properly join until they're six but I was advised that some clubs start with a "nursery" at 5. Anyone know of one near Edenthorpe that I can take him to?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 06, 2015, 03:23:10 pm by Bentley Bullet »
There are many instances where the coach's son plays for the team. I imagine it would be difficult to get a coach who was un-related to any of the players who would be interested in running the team, although I do know of one or two exceptions. So no problems there...........

Unless...

Their son is captain, takes ALL the penalties, takes ALL the free kicks, takes ALL the corners, and even Kicks the game off at the start.

Believe me, I've seen it happen!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 06, 2015, 03:31:49 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Another annoying aspect is when the coach's lad is rubbish but is NEVER involved in the rotation of subs policy, and remains on the pitch all game!

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 06, 2015, 03:32:47 pm by grayx »
There are many instances where the coach's son plays for the team. I imagine it would be difficult to get a coach who was un-related to any of the players who would be interested in running the team, although I do know of one or two exceptions. So no problems there...........

Unless...

Their son is captain, takes ALL the penalties, takes ALL the free kicks, takes ALL the corners, and even Kicks the game off at the start.

Believe me, I've seen it happen!

How true that is. The best advice I could give is DONT favour your own kids. That really will get parents moaning,not that theyl need much excuse. Giving everyone equal playing time is fair enough,but I would also say those not attending training need to be made to earn their place. Nothing worse than those kids who just turn up on match days and get picked regardless, no matter how good they are.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 06, 2015, 03:37:12 pm by tommy toes »
Mike F. Nip down to Wicketthern Rd,  just off Cow House Lane in Armthorpe on Saturday morning and make enquiries there. They've got a great set up there now.
There is a club in Edenthorpe but don't know where it's Base is.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 06, 2015, 03:41:23 pm by Mike_F »
Cheers, Tommy. I looked up the Edenthorpe Juniors website and they're based 5 minutes' walk from my front door but it looks like they start at an older age group.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 06, 2015, 03:53:24 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
All Edenthorpe junior teams are based at the Pavillion. Just off of Church Balk. Couldn't tell you what age they start at, though.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 06, 2015, 08:20:47 pm by Nudga »
Another annoying aspect is when the coach's lad is rubbish but is NEVER involved in the rotation of subs policy, and remains on the pitch all game!

My boy is captain for three reasons. He's a very good organiser already and he leads by example. Always trying to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. He also understands how I want to run the team and is very supportive of his team mates. But, I also take him off and he has no more game time than the rest. In fact I am more hard on him than I am with the other boys.
I didn't want to get into a situation where the kids are pestering and screaming to be captain before a game.

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 06, 2015, 08:29:31 pm by jmt »
My lads Plays for Branton he's six, and played last year against edenthorpe. The gaffers son also plays for the team, and no favours are shown. The captains armband goes to the best player from the previous game/training, everybody has had a go. The goalkeeper position is also rotated between 4 players that are just about happy enough to play there. I never understand people getting funny with the coaching team of junior football, they don't do it for money and provide a platform for your kids to enjoy the game, why don't these parents give their time up!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:42:37 pm by jmt »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 06, 2015, 08:34:59 pm by RobTheRover »
All current managers at each age group listed here.

www.ddjsfl68.com/page/directories/managers-correct-as-at-28th-september-2015/managers-directories-20152016-9422/

Kids are allowed to play up one year, e.g, an 8 year old can play in the u10s, but it's up to each coach. Worth giving the u7s manager at Edenthorpe a buzz

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 06, 2015, 08:35:09 pm by RedArmy »
Currently looking to get involved in coaching myself yet to have any kids but want the experience as i want to go for my badges. I wont be available EVERY weekend but if you need someone to take or help out with training/ match days id be more than delighted to help where i can!

Donny Viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 06, 2015, 08:37:52 pm by Donny Viking »
My only advice would be is to be honest with the kids and parents, it's then their choice - "look this is how it is - I'm going to rotate players, development for all etc - even at the occasional expense of loosing a game etc". the parents then have a choice they like what you are doing and stay or go somewhere else with an ethos more akin to theirs. I think your attitude is bang on, stick with it and be proud - don't try and please everyone because you can't - and don't stand for whining in the background - this is also your free time you deserve better respect. If they don't like it, no matter how good little Jonny is let them go - they will regret it in future years, when you have a rounded team that are fully behind you.  Good players and parents will then also find you and will want to join.

Regarding Captain - I let my lads vote for their Captain - they don't always get it right, but based on above ethos does it really matter?  Your real Captains will shine through on pitch and in future years will be an obvious captain. By chance my lads tend to vote for a new captain every year, second place becomes vice captain. Explain to the boys what a captain is and then isn't and trust them to make the right decision or learn for next year (getting it wrong is not always a bad thing for development)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 06, 2015, 08:41:50 pm by Alickismyhero »
I had 20 years of youth football but now retired I am glad to say.

What I thought was very useful was a written policy on the contentious points on running the team and issued to parents and their child. Then there is no excuse they know the rules.

We even went to the point of getting the parents to sign an agreement on standards of behaviour for parents and their child.

Best of luck when it comes to the period where you try to keep it non competitive.

Having said I am retired I am now a grand dad who takes his 2 years grand daughter to her football coaching sessions. On the other side of the fence and I prefer it.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 06, 2015, 08:45:56 pm by RobTheRover »
Currently looking to get involved in coaching myself yet to have any kids but want the experience as i want to go for my badges. I wont be available EVERY weekend but if you need someone to take or help out with training/ match days id be more than delighted to help where i can!

Red Army, most clubs are crying out for coaches to volunteer and will fund their FA Level 1 coaching as a minimum. There are new rules coming in next year for community clubs regarding the number of advanced coaches each must have and the levels they hold, plus 90% of all club coaches need to be registered with the FA Coaches Club.

I coach for Sprotbrough and Cusworth Crusaders. We have a real 'kids first' ethic, where it's all about keeping kids playing and involved in the game. We don't turn kids away because they "aren't good enough " like some clubs do, and like has been mentioned elsewhere different kids develop and different times. Just because a kid is head and shoulders better than his team mates at 8 doesn't mean they still will be at 12.  If you fancy having a chat with our secretary about what it takes to coach and the path ways open to you,  drop me a PM and I'll be happy to set that up for you.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 06, 2015, 09:31:14 pm by Nudga »
Before a ball was kicked I printed off the FA Respect Code of conduct for parents,  spectators and children. I also typed up the club's ethos and how I would run the team, rotation, equal game time etc. Everyone was buzzing. Now we're into the season it seems like it's going tits up already. For instance, we were beating a team 9-1, one of my lads got his hat trick so I subbed him and brought on one of the lesser players. His attitude stank, barked at me about why I took him off and when would he go on again. After the game j learned that his mum had collared my missus and asked what her lad had done wrong to be subbed. Ridiculous! I actually didn't want us to score any more because the other sides boys confidence was shot.

Donny Viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 06, 2015, 09:38:30 pm by Donny Viking »
Don't try and satisfy them Nudga. It hasn't gone tits up - they just want somthing different to you. It will only grate you and at some stage you will have a fall out and the'll leave anyway. If its his turn to come off, he comes off. If he hasn't been on long enough, drop him into defence and let a defender have a go up front - explaining that each player develops different skills in different positions. Unless he's a complete player then a bit of time in defence will help his tackling, positioning and passing game.....Some parents are all about their child whilst your job is about all the players (different perspectives) and if they can't accept that then you are always going to disagree.

jmt

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 06, 2015, 09:39:58 pm by jmt »
I've seen some strange stuff in my sons first season, had to laugh this weekend though, tickhill take a bow. More coaches than players on the pitch.. Hahaha mind you it might be the way forward, they won

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 06, 2015, 09:43:24 pm by Cramby10 »
It won't change mate. No matter what you do or where you go. You can't educate pork mate. Kids football can be amongst the most poisonous atmosphere going. It really is shameful. I keep hoping my lad will lose interest in it so I don't have to go anymore. Truly awful.
You've just got to say to yourself that you can't please all the people all the time. If the parents don't accept that or like what you're doing, tell em to find somewhere else. Most will pipe down and shut up as their kids will want to stay with their mates. But if they're that unreasonable then you're better off without them. At the end of the day it's you who are dedicating your time and energy for the benefit of their kids.

Donny Viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 06, 2015, 09:44:58 pm by Donny Viking »
Just wait until you get into competitive leagues and league tables - that really then gets tasty - with everyone having an opinion. But don't forget your the one preparing for training, setting up before everyone arrives, last one to leave, before going home and making arrangements for next Sundays game. Your doing a fantastic job - we don't create the next Messi, that's what academy are for  - we give kids exercise, team spirit, friends, respect and discipline (often missing at home) in a fun and safe environment - deliver that and its job well done mate, irrespective of results.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 06, 2015, 09:47:27 pm by Alickismyhero »
Welcome to youth football Nudga,

the first 18years are the worst.

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 06, 2015, 09:49:13 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
I've been coaching since our players were 7 years old and my boys are U14s now.  We run our team exactly as you do, Nudga.  It just has to be drilled in to the parents over the first season that everybody gets an equal chance.  Gradually, the parents and kids will get it and those that don't can bog off to another team.  Stick to your ethos.

It helps if you rotate positions.  At U14, we still have most players coming on in 2 or 3 different positions and we can guarantee every player getting at least half a game. It means that everyone plays and it helps parents to see that its more about learning than winning.

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 06, 2015, 09:50:55 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
On a separate point. we rotate the captaincy, too, although I think we'll make it fixed next season.  Everybody gets a chance and it builds on that same ethos.

Donny Viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 06, 2015, 09:52:46 pm by Donny Viking »
One final piece of advice - when new kids approach you -check their parents out as much as how good the kids are at footie. I built a very successful team around having the right parents with a similar ethos to mine - good parents with decent kids are better than crap parents with good footie kids (parents attitude will effect the kids over time and effect their development). In fact kids where parents aren't really interested in footie or are just not around are often the best to ones to have.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 06, 2015, 09:56:15 pm by Nudga »
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I think I will rotate the captaincy to, give them all a bit of a boost. Also gives parents one less thing to moan about.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 06, 2015, 10:04:17 pm by Lesonthewest »
You have told them how it is going to be from the off Nudga, my advice is stick to it, they will either come round or throw the dummy out & go elsewhere, so in the end it's a win win as you lose the bad eggs. I reffed & helped coaching with my son from under 8s through to 13s or so. There was some right idiot parents, but if you stick to your rules & let the kids enjoy their football, all will be fine.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012