Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 08:33:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: junior sunday football.  (Read 5516 times)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: junior sunday football.
« Reply #30 on October 06, 2015, 10:11:17 pm by RobTheRover »
I rotate my captain too. Some really shine when they get it.

I'm lucky. I've got a set of parents who give me very little grief (if any at all)  and can see what I am trying to do. I don't go as far as the "everyone gets the same game time" ethic but make sure all players at least get half a game (most get a full game),  But I'm playing 11v11 now and have a squad of 14 . On Sunday,  we started the game with 10 players (only getting up to 11 at 20 mins in and played the whole game with no subs) and beat a previously unbeaten team 4-1. You just can't say how it's going to go from one week to the next.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 06, 2015, 10:35:33 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
That's true about the unpredictability, Rob. 

On another point, having just 14 players may be a blessing - we have 16 players now as we've slowly built the squad over the years.  All mixed abilities.  However, we were planning on some boys getting other interests and they haven't!  Trying to shoehorn 5 substitutes (different ones each week) who all think they're midfielders into a match is the devil's own job

We have been blessed with decent parents, too, who have taken the sportsman ethic to heart - they still applaud opposition goals at U14 level.  We have been very careful about who we let into the squad.  We're not bothered about ability.  Its down to attitude in training and attitude of parents.  If those two aren't right, then they're not right for the squad.

In terms of ability, for me the biggest thrill is seeing the poorer players do something magical on the pitch and nurturing them

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on October 07, 2015, 12:11:42 am by Al4475 »
Nudga - through nearly 20 years of running all football with both boys and girls at all the schools I've ever taught in (very successfully even I do say so myself) my twopenneth would be simply - do what you think is right and try not to let anyone else cloud your ideas and be clear on what you want to achieve! If you're all there for the experience and cammaraderie don't fret about results or performances and focus fully on giving the kids an enjoyable experience they'll learn from and remember! If it's results driven then stand by your principles alone and teach the kids the art of losing well - then when results pick up and you win noone begrudges you!

Most of all - enjoy the fact that you're facilitating an opportunity for kids to play footy - simple as! 

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on October 07, 2015, 08:09:44 am by moses »
Nudga
My lad plays for a different under 8's team who also have the equal time rule and as a parent it brill as everyone knows where they are. We have 11 players for 5 a side so they rotate all the time.
Stick with your beliefs you are in line with the best. Have a read of the article below about NZ schools rugby and how they insist every kid gets half a game and how many of the All blacks national team were not first choice when they started.
Network with other coaches and everyone will have similar issues.
Chin up those kids will remember being part of a team for the whole of their lives so make it a good memory.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tomfordyce/2011/10/why_are_new_zealand_so_good_at.html

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 08, 2015, 12:32:28 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It must be hard because you manage the side, And also have to manage parents over inflated ambitions for their kids.
The decisions you make even this young can 'Make or break', a kid's confidence for the rest of their lives, I know this from personal experience, Every kid needs to know there are no favourite's and they have same chance of playing as anybody else, As they get older they have to learn some players are better than others, I have seen managers that ignore the substitutes and are only interested in the players they have picked.
In village side's another consideration is, When the kids parents are known by the manager, Either they go drinking with them etc, And the other kids aren't, The former tend to get preference whether they are better or not.

I always said if i managed a kid's team, I would use my bad experiences to help rather than hinder kids in the same situation, I was good enough, I was continually held back.
It wasn't my opinion many told me, It continued into the mens game, And in the end i had had enough, Training hard, Trying to show the manager i was good enough, It destroys you as a kid when all you want to do is play football.
I was the quietest kid going, No bad attitude, I just wanted to play, My dad and mam were not drinkers at the local pub, And those that did know my dad might not have liked him, He would do anything for anybody, But if people took the p..s he wouldn't take it!.

There are always many around your village wherever you live who you don't like, But those that don't pick a kid because they don't like the dad, I could never be that way, Everybody equal that's how it should always be!.

Football Mum

junior sunday football.
« Reply #35 on October 12, 2015, 08:55:28 pm by Football Mum »
Currently looking to get involved in coaching myself yet to have any kids but want the experience as i want to go for my badges. I wont be available EVERY weekend but if you need someone to take or help out with training/ match days id be more than delighted to help where i can!

Hi. I am a parent on the under 10's youth team at Edenthorpe JFC and we lost our coach/ manager 3 weeks ago. The lads are now in their 4th season and desperately want to carry on playing football. One of the parents is coaching mid week and managing match days currently but due to work commitments cannot undertake the Level 1 coaching certificate that is required for the team to continue.  FA admin and other tasks are shared across the parents so we are in need of the coaching side.  The club will support coaching qualifications if you don't already have them. You can contact the club via their Facebook page or website www.edenthorpejuniorsfc.weebly.com.

Apologies Sprotborough and Cusworth manager as I note you have an interest too but without a manager, the team will fold.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:11:56 pm by Football Mum »

Football Mum

« Reply #36 on October 12, 2015, 09:15:08 pm by Football Mum »
Hi RedArmy.  Edenthorpe Under 10's are looking for a coach/manager to run alongside parent helpers. Please see my post below under Football Mum.

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 12, 2015, 09:58:10 pm by RedArmy »
Hi RedArmy.  Edenthorpe Under 10's are looking for a coach/manager to run alongside parent helpers. Please see my post below under Football Mum.

I have tried to PM you but its not letting me. If you could send me a private message first ill happily discuss in how i can be involved.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on October 12, 2015, 10:00:11 pm by IDM »
Sorry to interrupt but I read somewhere that a forum member needs to make 10 posts before being able to use the PM facility.

Apologies if I am wrong..

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 12, 2015, 10:06:02 pm by RedArmy »
Now Emailed you. Thanks IDM, strange as to why that is, but hey ho.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 12, 2015, 10:20:56 pm by Nudga »
Excellent thread this, thanks guys. It has reinforced my beliefs in junior football and has given me added confidence that the way I have set out with is the right way.
Also looks like this thread may have opened the door for RedArmy to get involved.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 14, 2015, 11:23:19 am by Spud »
Having managed my lot for coming up 5 years I've experienced most things mentioned & perhaps more. I wouldn't know where to start with advice other than don't do it lol.
All I'd say is if anyone thinks it's just about putting training sessions on & match days then you're in for a shock !!!
The rewards are amazing though & outweigh all the work & stresses that come with it.
Great thread.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012