Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:21:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Andy Williams  (Read 7028 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Andy Williams
« Reply #30 on December 17, 2016, 08:50:25 pm by Filo »
Personally I think Fergie will want to compliment what he has with a striker with genuine pace

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on December 17, 2016, 08:54:43 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Or reason number 3:

The budget available is so high that we can realistically talk to a quality striker whilst also hoping to sign a keeper, left-back and at least one midfielder

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 17, 2016, 08:55:36 pm by BigH »
I fear that Marquis will be gone on January. Let's face it, he's absolutely pissed this league and has shown he's deserving of another chance at a level above.

Whether he will find another DF to mentor him I don't know. DF has done brilliantly well to get the best out of him but it counts for zilch with some of the agents out there.

Hope he stays.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 17, 2016, 08:56:55 pm by the vicar »
The director i was talking to said they was almost done deals but no one will leave if the price is not right

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on December 17, 2016, 09:07:49 pm by Nudga »
I'd like to see him get moved on in January and get a proper striker in to play off marquis.
So frustrating watching this bloke act like a pussy all the time. Creates very little, unable to win headers, unable to hold the ball up and unable to create space by stretching their centre backs.

And once rid, who would you have playing alongside or as back up to Marquis 'Oh wise one'?

I might have given that answer if it weren't for the last bit.

Sorry for not towing the party line boys jeez.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on December 17, 2016, 09:21:35 pm by Pancho Regan »
I'd like to see him get moved on in January and get a proper striker in to play off marquis.
So frustrating watching this bloke act like a pussy all the time. Creates very little, unable to win headers, unable to hold the ball up and unable to create space by stretching their centre backs.

Absolute rubbish in my humble opinion.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on December 17, 2016, 09:23:52 pm by Nudga »

No problem. Expand.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on December 17, 2016, 09:31:44 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm quietly confident from what Fergie is hinting that January will see more quality brought in with half an eye on next season. 

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on December 17, 2016, 09:35:39 pm by idler »
That is exactly what is needed. Supplement what we have and build for the future. Hopefully at the next level.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on December 17, 2016, 10:11:38 pm by Alan Southstand »
If we think back to before the season kicked off, DF was after a striker that "gave us something different". For whatever reason, he never got his man but now is the time to put that right. I don't think for one minute we will be losing any of our 3 strikers. This is where we dropped an almighty clanger last season, when we could have strengthened and didn't. Lessons learned I think.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on December 18, 2016, 12:04:13 pm by Colin C No.3 »

No problem. Expand.

Ok, I'll play. Suppose we get rid of Williams & Marquis gets a long term injury. We then rely on the goals coming from...?

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on December 18, 2016, 12:10:24 pm by craigdrfc »
Williams is a 20 goals a season striker and they dont grow on trees .... nor do you give them away when you find them!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on December 18, 2016, 03:24:32 pm by RoversAlias »
Some strange viewpoints in this thread in my opinion. Williams worked hard yesterday but clearly wasn't match sharp, which is understandable. He is a classy striker who has scored plenty of goals for us in 18 months. As for us signing a new striker...

Personally I think Fergie will want to compliment what he has with a striker with genuine pace

This is surely true. It's common knowledge the one thing Fergie didn't get in the summer that he wanted was another forward, someone with pace to burn to augment our options. When one of the 'main 3' is out we are limited on options, and let's not forget Mandeville has only just risen to first team status. He tried to sign Quitongo, he's after that Alfie May, it's obvious we want another forward in and I think it's a good move.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on December 19, 2016, 02:26:50 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Either Quitongo or May is probably all ready to be signed in my opinion. He will try to strengthen for this season and the next wherever we are league wise. We haven't got loads of cash to blow on somebody that comes in with an established record. We can't afford the fees to work that way.
I'm happy for the club to look lower down and bring people in with the hunger and talent to do well. If the board back him with signings like that-and as far as i know they've always backed him with signings. Then that to me is being ambitious without creating major financial problems.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on December 19, 2016, 10:21:18 am by Branton Rover »
He runs defenders into areas they don't want to be in, creating loads of space for Marquis to operate in. I'd say he's a massive positive in this league. If we go up i'd look at it again because his body language doesn't do him any favours

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on December 19, 2016, 11:02:20 am by Mike_F »
I can see where Nudga is coming from. It can be bloody frustrating at times watching Williams with all his huffing, puffing and gesticulating when things don't go right but when he's fit you can't argue with his scoring record so he definitely has a big role to play for me.

Of course, Nudga is entitled to his opinion and we're entitled to disagree...

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on December 19, 2016, 12:49:41 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I too understand Nudga's point. As Mike says Williams can be frustrating. He does my head in when he looks up to heaven with his arms out every time he loses the ball, instead of getting on with it and concentrating on getting the ball back.

There's no doubting his return of goals, but I wonder how many more he would get if he stopped trying to get free kicks/penalties and instead adopted a more positive approach.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:20:58 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on December 19, 2016, 01:30:30 pm by Jonathan »
I thought he worked very hard on Saturday. Understandably not match sharp yet, but he put himself about and put a shift in.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on December 19, 2016, 03:51:43 pm by mrfrostsdad »
May as well throw my 2p's worth in I guess. I thought Williams was poor on Saturday, but he isn't match fit so he's entitled to be off the pace.
What I can't put up with is the histrionics. All the throwing the arms up in the air if everything doesn't go his way or the ball played to him is not perfect.
You're playing in the 4th division mate, get used to it

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on December 19, 2016, 03:57:54 pm by selby »
Its just him,a good mover on the xmas crol video as well,gave it everything and stole the show.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on December 19, 2016, 04:04:20 pm by Alan Southstand »
If you watch him in the warm up before the game, he is exactly the same, so I would suggest it has become a bit of a habit with him and I'll wager he doesn't realise he's doing it half the time. We all should know what he is like by now, so why get up tight about it. So long as he keeps working his socks off and hitting his fair share of goals, he will do for me. Who the hell do we think we are going to get as a replacement if we were to get rid? We can't afford to sign an equivalent striker that guarantees us the same goals tally.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on December 19, 2016, 04:09:09 pm by selby »
A bloody good player at this level,and going on that video a fun guy you want around the dressing room.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on December 19, 2016, 05:36:33 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Clearly not match fit as said. His eye is out too, not judging the best place to be when the ball is hoiked his way. He needs to learn how to jump. A bit slow getting back onside. Other than that, good effort.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on December 19, 2016, 05:46:42 pm by i_ateallthepies »
He's always been slow getting back onside BRR.  I mentioned it a while ago and some football expert on here tried to tell me it was a well established attacking strategy.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on December 19, 2016, 06:18:13 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I don't think he's a deva but it's easy to get that impression when he very visibly shows his frustration. It's just how he is but, it doesn't stop him working hard to get the ball back.

There was a passage of play on Saturday where he showed some frustration, you could hear the groans from the crowd, but he immediately won the ball back on then got tripped on the edge of the area. The moans changed to applause as he did so.

Once he gets on the scoresheet again, he'll be fine. You could argue he contributed more than Marquis on Saturday who also seemed off the boil.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on December 19, 2016, 09:01:40 pm by BobG »
I agree he's not a stadium Baz although I suppose he might be a diva.

:):):)

Bob

TinyPortal © 2005-2012