Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:51:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: BBC Article about Fanzines  (Read 1056 times)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
BBC Article about Fanzines
« on November 26, 2017, 10:02:00 am by Dutch Uncle »
When I saw the title I thought this might be interesting. Now I am just annoyed they only chose big clubs, often with digs at owners, and never thought to look at DRFC National Fanzine of the year Popular Stand, and its success in raising money for local charities, surely a much worthier story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41149738

Maybe we should contact BBC
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:22:44 am by Dutch Uncle »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: BBC Article about Fanzines
« Reply #1 on November 26, 2017, 11:57:17 am by idler »
Unfortunately that is the football world these days. There are still 92 clubs in our four top divisions. It's now split with the elite 20 and a lesser value 72. The 20 at the top are like the greedy people you see when large groups go out for a meal. The reasonable take a portion large enough for their needs and think I might top up after everyone has had a share if there is any left. There always seem to be one or two that take twice as much leaving little for the last few to put on their plate.
That sums up the bigger clubs, they don't just want a portion they want everything that they can get including the crumbs. They will suck glory hunters up from any club they can happy to let them pay their sky money and walk around in a shirt that holds no affinity to tradition or location.
I've seen more real fans in my 59 years watching the Rovers than these mercenaries can only dream of. I've a Bradford City supporting mate who when he gets into conversations with some tv fans replies, "I've spent more on programmes than you have on gate money".
Rant over.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 26, 2017, 04:05:45 pm by VivaRovers »
It's a decent article, and it's always good to see football fanzines getting coverage, but aye, it could've benefited from a look at some of the lower league 'zines who face quite different challenges, particularly the non-league ones like Chester's Blue and White and North Ferriby's View From The Allotment End.

The Independent did a similar article earlier in the year which I contributed too. It can be found here for those interested

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 26, 2017, 05:00:05 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Thanks Glen - that one I found far more balanced.

Maybe I was just being a bit too parochial on the BBC article, but I still think (as you akso say) that it could have benefitted from some lower league and non-league perspectives. I like to think of fanzines as grounded in the community, and not just large city communities like London, Manchester, Leeds and Nottingham.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012