Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 02:17:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coppinger contract  (Read 3458 times)

South East Rover

• Forum Member
Coppinger contract
« on May 03, 2018, 06:52:15 pm by South East Rover »
Darren Ferguson says he will offer Doncaster Rovers legend James Coppinger a new contract - regardless of the size of his budget. Speculation about Coppinger’s future has intensified this week as he approaches the end of his 14th season at the club. But, with other clubs potentialy monitoring the 37-year-old’s situation, Ferguson has confirmed he will put a contract offer to Rovers’ all-time leading appearance maker. “Whatever I get, the first thing I will be doing is offering him a new contract,” said Ferguson. “He deserves it. He’s been excellent this season. “I’ve said to him I feel that he’s had a very good season. “I don’t see signs of his age having any relevance to his performances. In fact in many ways he’s going the other way. “My decision would always be based on what I’ve seen this season on the pitch and other things like how he conducts himself and how he leads by example at the training ground and off the pitch. “He’s not shown a desire to go into the coaching side, so it has to come down to one decision. Do I think he can have an impact next season? My answer would be yes.” Ferguson is expecting to finalise his budget for next season at a meeting with the board on Friday. Rovers’ boss confirmed last month he wanted Coppinger to remain at the club beyond the terms his current deal, which expires this summer. Coppinger has also expressed his preference to see out his playing days at Doncaster. “James and I have been in constant communication about this,” said Ferguson. “The communication to him from myself has been that, on a footballing basis, I will be offering him a new contract. “I can’t do that until I know what we’ve got. “But he’s fully aware that his manager wants him to get a new contract. “That’s where we are at and that’s as far as we can go with it at the moment. “But certainly I feel that whatever money I’ve got to play with, the first thing I’m doing is giving him a contract.” Coppinger, who has sat out the last two games, remains a doubt for the final game of the season at home to Wigan Athletic on Saturday (5.30pm).

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Coppinger contract
« Reply #1 on May 03, 2018, 07:53:51 pm by drfchound »
Really great news.
But does the manager understand that (apparently) his legs have gone.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 04, 2018, 07:54:36 am by Pancho Regan »
This is music to my ears.

It doesn't matter how old Copps is, DF clearly recognises that he remains a very important part of the team.
I hope everything is settled soon and I can look forward to enjoying Copps' skills for at least another season.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 04, 2018, 12:06:34 pm by moses »
it is a smart move by DF. Imagine if we didn't offer Copps a contract. Every time we had a dull game without creating chances, the first question would be 'that looked like a game crying out for James Coppinger'

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 04, 2018, 12:22:29 pm by MachoMadness »
Been one of the few shining lights in what's been a fairly workmanlike, average drudge of a season. Definitely worth another year.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 04, 2018, 12:40:36 pm by ravenrover »
Being offered a contract and it being deemed to be acceptable by the player are 2 different things. If Copps did leave then DF could turn around and say that he at least made an offer, would that upset the fans as much?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 04, 2018, 12:43:22 pm by silent majority »
I find it a very strange way to conduct contract business with any player. How would some of the other players feel when its done different for one particular player?

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 08, 2018, 09:23:09 am by jonnydog »
Legend!!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 08, 2018, 09:44:06 am by the vicar »
Get him signed what he gives on the pitch and what he gives to the young lads at the club he is worth every penny

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 08, 2018, 10:08:44 am by ravenrover »
and just think what he is worth to the club shop on named shirts - 9 letters! 😁

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 08, 2018, 12:30:53 pm by roversam »
Just get Copps on your shirt 😊

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 08, 2018, 05:46:29 pm by Campsall rover »
Get him signed what he gives on the pitch and what he gives to the young lads at the club he is worth every penny
Bang on. Can’t have too many role models.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 08, 2018, 05:52:20 pm by roversdude »
Not sure how his legs have gone can affect things  - his game has never been based on speed

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 08, 2018, 05:56:24 pm by steve@dcfd »
I find it a very strange way to conduct contract business with any player. How would some of the other players feel when its done different for one particular player?

They must all like Copps because he was voted Players player of the year. So like a lot of supporters they believe he has something to offer.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 08, 2018, 06:00:24 pm by the vicar »
They should like him he gives us all, players include a feel good factor and that lifts everyone

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 08, 2018, 07:41:05 pm by drfchound »
I don't understand why some people are reluctant to see Coppinger given another year with comments like 'His legs have gone', 'He's past it' or 'He's too expensive' etc.

You need your best players to do well and, on the whole, he's been one of the better players in the squad over the last 12 months.

He's worthy of another year right now.

Whether it'll be the same this time next year is another question, but he'll dictate that with how he plays over the next 12 months.

I think you will find that anyone who quotes that “ His legs have gone” does so very much with tongue in cheek.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 08, 2018, 07:53:25 pm by RedJ »
It's become a running joke really.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 08, 2018, 07:58:31 pm by drfchound »
It's become a running joke really.

Yes but it still (r)ankles some people.  :chair:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012