Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:12:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Cyclists  (Read 1786 times)

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
Cyclists
« on January 23, 2013, 09:47:16 pm by ponte_ricky »
Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to the forums. just wanted to see if there are many keen cyclists on here? i've had a bit of an idea for a charity ride i'd like to do in association with rovers community foundation. i dont really want to announce it yet as i'm still trying to get the support of the club but if anyone loves cycling and would want to get involved in a big charity ride please PM me.

also, lets chat about favourite routes (UK wide) i dont get back over to yorkshire as much as i'd like to these days but i tend to ride round lancashire a lot. my favourite hill is cragg vale (5 miles of pure uphill) near hebden bridge and rochdale. its one of those hills where you just have to switch your mind off and meditate your way up it.

Ricky  :)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Re: Cyclists
« Reply #1 on January 23, 2013, 11:15:20 pm by wilts rover »
Yes there are a few of us on here, I am doing some rides for MacMillan this year so providing they dont clash I would be up for it. I live down in Wiltshire so most of my riding is in this area, Cotswolds is good, Isle of Wight but favourite is the Mendips. Generally when I come up home I have the mountain bike out in the peak district, Hope, Edale way.

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 23, 2013, 11:17:49 pm by ponte_ricky »
nice one. will PM you my idea

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 26, 2013, 05:08:48 pm by CusworthRovers »
Hart Side near Penrith is the Misters climb. There were moments when I wished for death.

I think the Tour route (one of) would be a novel idea

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 26, 2013, 07:28:24 pm by ponte_ricky »
The york - sheffield stage looks brutal. Got a friend who has signed up for paris - roubaix this year. I couldnt hack the cobbles myself. Me and wilts have been discussing a big ride for charity in april to celebrate the end of the (football)season. Pm me if you want details.

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 26, 2013, 07:48:14 pm by The L J Monk »
Hart Side near Penrith is the Misters climb. There were moments when I wished for death.

Classification: Hard

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/may/05/bike-rides-cumbria

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 26, 2013, 07:52:01 pm by RedJ »
Just a thought - maybe you could do something for the charity Rovers are tied to (not sure which it is now) and have them publicise it for you, and get a good few people joining in?

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 26, 2013, 08:02:30 pm by ponte_ricky »
Yeah that was the idea ive spoken to the foundation this week about getting this organised. Will pm you the idea

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 26, 2013, 08:10:12 pm by ponte_ricky »
Actually i'll just put it on here. So basically weve been discussing a ride from keepmoat to brentford (170 milesish) for the game of the season. Not quite decided if it'll be a two day ride or just try to smash in one day. Hopefully drfc foundation can help with media coverage and promotion etc. Would love to get a group of riders out for this

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 26, 2013, 08:11:35 pm by RedJ »
I know a few people who ride and who might want to do this, let me know if you hear any more.

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 26, 2013, 08:22:33 pm by ponte_ricky »
Yeah i  will do. Im not quite sure exactly what i need to organise but the foundation seem pretty happy to support the event. I guess we'd just need to organise a van to drive down to meet at various checkpoints to act as a feed station then bike storage at the game as eell as transport to get back to yorkshire. Thinking of using twitter to try and get players to retweet the event etc. hopefully ill have some more concrete info this week

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 26, 2013, 08:27:58 pm by RedJ »
That's pretty much all you would need, as well as obviously having the sponsor forms etc and a registration sheet, and perhaps numbered bibs. At a push you could even ask if you could get specially made t-shirts/biking jackets done for the ride, if the foundation would want to make it look a bit more official.

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 26, 2013, 08:31:01 pm by ponte_ricky »
Red and white hooped cycling jerseys. Now that is something i would wear with pride.  :scarf:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 26, 2013, 10:57:57 pm by wilts rover »
Nah thats too boring, lets have something designed - I like the welsh team jersey, something like that with a viking, that would be cool.

The route we are looking at is the one Danny Mills did - always nick someone elses idea if you can get away with that;s what I say - with a bit more in London tagged on the end. http://www.shinecharity.org.uk/leeds2london

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 27, 2013, 03:37:59 am by RedJ »
Could just get a big f**k off DRFC badge emblazoned onto it :p

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 27, 2013, 09:55:02 am by ponte_ricky »
Haha yeah. If there's anyone here genuinely interested then pm me so I can get an idea of numbers and things.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 27, 2013, 01:34:50 pm by RedJ »
I know one person who'd definitely be up for it so I'll post it here rather than pm you as he isn't on here.

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 27, 2013, 06:02:46 pm by ponte_ricky »
Cool no worries do you have a contact email or mobile number for him? 

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 27, 2013, 06:16:16 pm by ponte_ricky »
By the way any of you who use strava follow me at www.strava.com/athletes/ricky_parrish

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 27, 2013, 06:32:10 pm by RedJ »
I'll pm you it when you've got all the details in place :)

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 29, 2013, 01:37:59 pm by ponte_ricky »
Hey guys. Me and wilts have concluded that we want to ride for bluebell wood. I have spoken to the charity and should find out over the next couple of weeks what support theyre likely to give. For now, ive been told that to get much media backing i'll need to gather as many people for the ride as possible. So if anyone interested please pop your name, email address and phone number on here or in a pm to me. I can forward this onto the club and charity so we have an idea of numbers. I'm going to try to make some kind of advert for saturdays game at bury to try to boost interest so if you see this come and say hello.

For the time being, get training. Hard! haha

Ricky

TinyPortal © 2005-2012