Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:12:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Donny night out for the uninitiated......  (Read 3481 times)

avfcsam

• Forum Member
Donny night out for the uninitiated......
« on January 23, 2013, 04:26:34 pm by avfcsam »
Hello chaps,

I hope you don't mind me gatecrashing the board but we all know footy fans are the people in the know when it comes to drinking in their town.

I am best man for a mate and planning to come to the St Leger in September. However, we are coming up in a few weeks for a bit of a 'stag reccy' to check the town out and see what the craic is.

Do you have any tips in terms of where to go and what to do?

Some of the lads are beer geeks - are there any pubs in the centre with a decent range of ales?

What are the best places to be in at around midnight in terms of craic to be had, minimum likelihood of bother and maximum likelihood of meeting a young lady?

Is a town centre hotel essential or will taxis etc be hard to come by?

I am looking forward to visiting your town. My only experience of Doncaster thus far has been via the 'benefit busters' doco but I have an open mind!

Going to tick off the Keepmoat as well when there in a few weeks. Rude not to.

Sam

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Re: Donny night out for the uninitiated......
« Reply #1 on January 23, 2013, 04:34:45 pm by MrFrost »
Cask Corner is probably the best bet if you're a beer lover.

A few hotels in the centre of town. Danum Hotel, Regent, Earl of Doncaster, Premier Inn.

If you're coming on Leger night, I would book hotels etc pretty early. Also if you plan on eating out that night, book your restaurant early too.

People who travel from outside Doncaster for a night out tend to give it rave reviews. Those who live here not so much, but personally I enjoy it far more than the likes of Leeds and Sheffield.

On the last count there were something like 60 odd bars/pubs/clubs in the town centre, all within 5 minutes walking distance.

Personally I tend to stick to the following pubs:
Tut n Shive
Cask Corner
Vintage Rock Bar
Garage
Social

There was a pub crawl map somewhere online but I can't see to find it.

avfcsam

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 23, 2013, 04:39:53 pm by avfcsam »
Are the pubs mentioned ale pubs then? What about later on? Do all the clubs shut at 2? Which ones are the best? We are all around the 30 years old mark so nothing too teeny bopper like.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 23, 2013, 04:55:15 pm by MrFrost »
Are the pubs mentioned ale pubs then? What about later on? Do all the clubs shut at 2? Which ones are the best? We are all around the 30 years old mark so nothing too teeny bopper like.

Not really all ale pubs. Cask Corner is. Vintage Rock Bar and Social are both open til about 4am on a Saturday night.

I mentioned them as they are different to the run of the mill pubs you find in every town and city.

avfcsam

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 23, 2013, 04:57:24 pm by avfcsam »

Not really all ale pubs. Cask Corner is. Vintage Rock Bar and Social are both open til about 4am on a Saturday night.

I mentioned them as they are different to the run of the mill pubs you find in every town and city.

Sounds good.......ta

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 23, 2013, 05:03:44 pm by Nudga »
You've got to have a pint in Biscuit Billy's, it's shit and stinks like piss but it's an eye opener.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 23, 2013, 05:06:25 pm by rtid88 »
I would definitely concur with Frostys list of pubs if your into your real ale and Cask Corner and Vintage Rockbar usually have a band on a Friday and Saturday. There are other real ale pubs slightly on the outskirts of the town centre like The Leopard, Corner Pin, Salutation & The Horse & Groom.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 23, 2013, 05:32:31 pm by bobjimwilly »
If your looking for somewhere to eat as well, Relish do nice big portions  :thumbsup:

https://plus.google.com/111073922279561875482/about?gl=uk&hl=en

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 23, 2013, 05:50:01 pm by Filo »
Crystals is a must, just keep your backs to the wall!  :whistle:

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 23, 2013, 09:02:42 pm by coventryrover »
be amazed at the number of peroxide blondes out and about and don't expect good music.  Donny has more than it's fair share of meatheads.

Very much a towny night out

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 23, 2013, 09:10:31 pm by MrFrost »
be amazed at the number of peroxide blondes out and about and don't expect good music.  Donny has more than it's fair share of meatheads.

Very much a towny night out

You haven't been out in Donny much recently! There are some excellent venue's for live music, and an array of places for different music tastes. You won't get any commerical shite in the places I listed.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 23, 2013, 09:28:29 pm by Muttley »
Real ale pubs - Salutation (recently voted best real ale pub in town), Cask Corner, Tut n Shive as mentioned above plus The "Little" Plough, The Masons

Music - Leopard, Vintage Rock Bar, Cask Corner, Liberty Grill, Masons (soul/funk/ska depending on which weekend you're here)

Fanny & pissed up 'roidheads & OneDirection lookalikes - Every bar on Silver Street

Late night clubbing - Priory, Social, Walkabout

Hotels - Caribbean has just been awarded TripAdvisor's best budget hotel in the world or something daft, Premier Inn in the market could be a good bet. St Leger week will get booked up quickly so book early, same goes if you're wanting restaurant tables.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 23, 2013, 10:06:15 pm by RobTheRover »
Or book the Park Inn out near the Keepmoat and get a taxi from the town centre.  Have a word with Filo, tell him Rob sent ya.

You a Villa fan then, mate?

avfcsam

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 24, 2013, 10:35:51 am by avfcsam »
Embarrassingly enough, yes. I am a Villa fan. Exiled in South London. Had a season ticket through most of the noughties. Some great times under MON.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 24, 2013, 12:07:11 pm by RobTheRover »
When we played Villa in the cup a few years back (no, not the embarrassment we handed out to you at Belle Vue, the FA cup game a few years later - you can stop shuddering now) we were shown fantastic hospitality by one of your fans who organised us all to use his local pub for a drink before the game and even had a free spread put on for us.  He also organised taxis to and from the ground for us.  He was called Tony Allen, a smashing bloke, but I seem to have lost his contact details.

avfcsam

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 24, 2013, 04:13:43 pm by avfcsam »
We have booked the Park Inn near the Keepmoat for the reccy in Feb :) 38 quid per twin room. Cheap as chips.

Really looking forward to it.

Seeing as Tony Allen was so hospitable when you lot came I think you lot should organise a reception for me and my mates. Pork scratchings and a pint?

I am the only Villa fan coming plus one Derby, one Crewe and one Wigan.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 24, 2013, 04:55:02 pm by RedJ »
We have booked the Park Inn near the Keepmoat for the reccy in Feb :) 38 quid per twin room. Cheap as chips.

Seeing as Tony Allen was so hospitable when you lot came I think you lot should organise a reception for me and my mates. Pork scratchings and a pint?

Ask the Derby fan if he's heard of Lewis Guy ;)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 26, 2013, 02:15:44 am by RobTheRover »

Are you up on the 9th for the Warsaw game?  You'll have to have a few jars before the game in the Belle Vue Bar.

avfcsam

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 04, 2013, 04:45:02 pm by avfcsam »
It's the week after actually. Plan to get to Donny at lunchtime on the 16th.

dumpweed

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 04, 2013, 06:48:39 pm by dumpweed »
Had my first night out in Donny on Saturday there.

Relish, manyana many ana, the goose? And then priory. It was OK but would be better if there were some have decent ladies.

Think I have to head to sliver street next time

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 04, 2013, 11:18:16 pm by Mr1Croft »
When we played Villa in the cup a few years back (no, not the embarrassment we handed out to you at Belle Vue, the FA cup game a few years later - you can stop shuddering now) we were shown fantastic hospitality by one of your fans who organised us all to use his local pub for a drink before the game and even had a free spread put on for us.  He also organised taxis to and from the ground for us.  He was called Tony Allen, a smashing bloke, but I seem to have lost his contact details.

Christ, I ended up going to one pretty close to the ground, charged us about £3 to get in n'all!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 05, 2013, 04:03:13 pm by hoolahoop »

Christ, I ended up going to one pretty close to the ground, charged us about £3 to get in n'all!

You haven't got Rob's charisma though Lee that's why ;)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 06, 2013, 10:25:34 pm by RobTheRover »
LOL

Lee has plenty of charisma, Hoola.  Its a funny story actually.  After the draw at our place (the game where the Wolves full back nearly killed Copps) we came out of the ground and bumped into these Villa lads.  Just got chatting about the replay at their place, how many tickets we might get and the price, etc, and Tony said, "So are you lot coming down for the game then", and we said "Of course, along with probably 4 or 5 thousand more".  So he gave me his business card and told us to get in touch the week before and we'd meet up for a beer.  In the end, I think about 30 of us off here ended up in his local for the afternoon and had the free scram and taxis to and from the ground for about £3 each.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012