Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:54:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Benefits Street  (Read 2072 times)

IC1967

• Forum Member
Benefits Street
« on January 26, 2014, 05:56:22 pm by IC1967 »
On again tomorrow. This series has really been making my piss boil. If ever there was a case to be made for cutting benefits this series makes it. If you've missed it so far you need to watch it. It just shows what a feckless, workshy, benefit dependent country Labour were trying to turn us into.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/benefits-street/4od

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Benefits Street
« Reply #1 on January 26, 2014, 08:43:44 pm by roversdude »
There lies an argument for compulsory sterilisation - only way to break the cycle

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 26, 2014, 11:37:24 pm by RobTheRover »
Daily Mail inspired TV of the very worst, choosing cases to portray for just one reason.  Shame on Channel4.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 27, 2014, 12:07:57 am by Filo »
Maybe the TV companies should even things up and make a series called Tax Avoidance Street or Expenses Fiddling Avenue

donnyproletarian

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 27, 2014, 10:23:38 pm by donnyproletarian »
Tory propaganda aimed at intellectually challenged sun reading narcasistic  floating voters to justify the savage cuts upon working class people who will be the next victims.Some of us will be amongst them so just remember when you point a finger there are four pointing back

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 27, 2014, 10:34:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
A year or so ago, I read The Road to Wigan Pier. George Orwell spent a year living among our grandparents and great-grandparents. Places like South Yorks and Lancashire were devastated by the Great Depression. It was the last time before these latest recession that we'd had a demand-slump, where there is simy not enough demand in the economy to convince business to invest and grow.

Orwell details the bestial poverty that the poor f**kers on the receiving end were forced into. The Dole paid them just about enough to get a bare supply of calories to avoid malnutrition.

And Orwell details with barely disguised disgust, the way in which the comfortable, those still in work, poured scorn on the idle scum who were on the Dole. They were called permanently idle, spongers, layabouts. There were calls to reduce the Dole to "encourage" the idle back into work, even though there was no work.

And yet, when WWII broke out, and the Govt injected massive demand into the economy to make bombs and guns to save the country, these same scroungers were doing 6 days a week and double shifts.

I recommend everyone who has an opinion on the Welfare State to read The Road to Wigan Pier. Apart from Mick of course, who reads nowt but rightwingswiveleyednutter.com. As well as giving a reminder of the obscene poverty that led to the Welfare State (which the Tories viscerally opposed) it is also illuminating how many of today's shit rag papers leading the tirade against scroungers, are the same ones who did the same in the 30s.

Plus ca change.

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 27, 2014, 10:45:35 pm by jucyberry »
I've just downloaded The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, 100
 years old and nothing has changed.. We are heading backwards at a rate of knots that is frankly horrific.   

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 28, 2014, 10:49:49 am by IC1967 »
I've no problem with people getting benefits to help them out when they fall on hard times. What I do have a problem with is when people live off benefits as a lifestyle choice, especially when as a country we are having to borrow the money to give to these people. There are plenty of people who fall into this category.

It is simply untrue to say there are no jobs out there. If this was the case then why do millions of immigrants come to our country? They are still coming. They seem to have no problem getting work.

All you leftie, politically correct, do gooder types need to have a reality check. Like the man said on last night's programme, 'In Africa, if you don't work you don't eat'. We could do with a bit of that mentality in this country for those that are perfectly healthy and refuse to work.

Also what really makes my piss boil is when these scroungers complain they aren't getting enough benefits and all you ever see is them chain smoking. I can't afford to smoke. How do these people manage it if they're not getting enough taxpayers money? That white Dee is the worst culprit. She's also not going short of food is she?

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 28, 2014, 01:27:47 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
Benefits should be used on a journey, not as a destination.

Channel 4 have put them in bad light, but shoplifting and refusing to work is what is wrong with this world.

I dont understand why the street dont all club together and set up some kind of small business, cleaning or doing peoples laundry, guarantee people would be interested and it is low skill, plus the supplies are only 50p.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 04, 2014, 05:21:20 pm by IC1967 »
This has really got my piss boiling. How could the family be so stupid to go public and brag about their benefits. They should have kept quiet and carried on taking us taxpayers for mugs.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/323194/Benefits-family-is-too-rich-to-work

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 04, 2014, 05:28:40 pm by IC1967 »
Please don't do it. I promise to keep on paying for your benefits if you don't.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/benefits-street-white-dee-naked-3049914#.UvEiqPumU6o

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 04, 2014, 06:03:42 pm by Dagenham Rover »

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 06, 2014, 03:07:56 pm by IC1967 »
Well done Dave and George. No doubt most of these people claimed there were no jobs whilst on benefits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26065080

TinyPortal © 2005-2012