Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 06:49:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ben Stokes  (Read 2043 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Ben Stokes
« on January 17, 2018, 01:21:12 pm by The Red Baron »
So let me get this right. Ben Stokes is arrested but not charged. The ECB decides he can't play for England.

Ben Stokes is charged with Affray. The ECB decides he CAN play for England pending the case.

Am I missing something here? Seems like logic has been turned on its head.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Ben Stokes
« Reply #1 on January 17, 2018, 01:24:48 pm by IDM »
Possibly in the time pending charges, the situation was unclear and maybe there could have been charges for a more serious offence?  Now there is a charge, it is a known factor that they can deal with??

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 17, 2018, 01:33:52 pm by The Red Baron »
Possibly in the time pending charges, the situation was unclear and maybe there could have been charges for a more serious offence?  Now there is a charge, it is a known factor that they can deal with??

It isn't a minor charge though as it carries a custodial sentence of up to 3 years.

I can accept the position of  "innocent until proven guilty" as logical. I can accept a position that says he can play until charges are laid. I find this difficult to understand.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 17, 2018, 01:34:24 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Possibly, but why couldn't he have been charged with the offence has been charged with ages ago? More serious charges could always have been added on later.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 17, 2018, 01:36:50 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

It isn't a minor charge though as it carries a custodial sentence of up to 3 years.

I can accept the position of  "innocent until proven guilty" as logical. I can accept a position that says he can play until charges are laid. I find this difficult to understand.

Exactly - if he'd have been charged straightaway presumably he could have played in the Ashes, but while there was a possibility he might not be charged at all he couldn't? Strange.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 17, 2018, 04:15:43 pm by wing commander »
I think it's the charge itself..While you are right Affray does carry a maximum 3 year prison service that's very rare.Most affray cases I see rarely include jail term or even suspended jail term..I would bet right now if found guilty he will get a community works order and a fine...

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 17, 2018, 04:20:54 pm by wing commander »
  What I cant understand is how they decide these charges..Take the Liverpool player a couple of weeks ago.He grabbed his girlfriend by the throat,punched her then kicked her when she was on the ground in the street..He was charged with common assault,a less serious charge than affray..After watching the Stokes video doing the rounds,i know which one I thinks worse but in the eyes of the law I have it the wrong way round...

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 17, 2018, 04:45:15 pm by ctay »
This could now drag on for a very long time. England cannot afford to hang him out to dry, as he could go an earn far more money playing IPL and other 20/20 tournaments.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 17, 2018, 07:21:15 pm by The Red Baron »
Possibly, but why couldn't he have been charged with the offence has been charged with ages ago? More serious charges could always have been added on later.

That makes a lot of sense but doesn't seem to align with current police and CPS practice.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 17, 2018, 07:22:19 pm by The Red Baron »
  What I cant understand is how they decide these charges..Take the Liverpool player a couple of weeks ago.He grabbed his girlfriend by the throat,punched her then kicked her when she was on the ground in the street..He was charged with common assault,a less serious charge than affray..After watching the Stokes video doing the rounds,i know which one I thinks worse but in the eyes of the law I have it the wrong way round...

I agree and he got off with Community Service.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 17, 2018, 07:24:29 pm by The Red Baron »
This could now drag on for a very long time. England cannot afford to hang him out to dry, as he could go an earn far more money playing IPL and other 20/20 tournaments.

It would have made a lot more sense if the ECB had applied the principle of "innocent until proven guilty." We might have even won a Test!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 17, 2018, 07:39:13 pm by drfchound »
The attitude of the ECB over this has been ridiculous.
Stokes could have played in Australia and answered the charges on his return.
It may well have been a factor as to why our players were not up to the task, demoralised perhaps at one of the potential match winners being denied to them.
He may well yet be found to be innocent ( or not proven guilty according to some people).

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 17, 2018, 07:56:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

It would have made a lot more sense if the ECB had applied the principle of "innocent until proven guilty." We might have even won a Test!

Nice in theory. In practice, when there’s a video of him lamping the shite out of someone...

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 18, 2018, 10:12:53 am by ctay »
It is typical ECB, cock up central. Nearly as bad as the FA.

Correct me if I am wrong, but does the video not also show Alex Hales kicking someone in the head...yet he got cleared. Strange

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 18, 2018, 03:50:07 pm by The Red Baron »
And guess what? He's due to appear in court on the day of the first T20 against New Zealand.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 19, 2018, 12:43:03 pm by ctay »
Is he really... ha ha

TinyPortal © 2005-2012