Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:21:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: O/T: That Super Over in the cricket World Cup Final!  (Read 2047 times)

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
Anyone watch the cricket World Cup Final? What a finish, eh? I’ve always thought that penalty shoot outs were squeaky bum moments, but that Super Over was something special, with England winning off the last ball. What a finish!   :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:51:57 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
Re: O/T: Super Over in cricket final
« Reply #1 on July 14, 2019, 07:48:29 pm by WheatleyRover »
Yes amazing that was

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
Re: O/T: That Super Over in the cricket World Cup Final!
« Reply #2 on July 14, 2019, 07:53:28 pm by Paul Simpson »
Amazing game of cricket! I wouldn’t normally watch it to be honest but glad I did!! Well done lads 👍

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 14, 2019, 08:21:25 pm by selby »
  Rashid running himself out to get Stokes on strike was quick thinking

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 14, 2019, 08:22:50 pm by since-1969 »
Join a cricket forum  :zzz:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 14, 2019, 08:26:35 pm by Campsall rover »
This will be moved to off topic. 2 threads on there about cricket already that have been moved from here.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 14, 2019, 08:51:40 pm by Retdon1 »
Incredible

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 14, 2019, 08:57:26 pm by elmsallrover »
What a rotten way to be beaten in a world cup final should have had another over apeace

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 14, 2019, 09:14:04 pm by RedJ »
What a rotten way to be beaten in a world cup final should have had another over apeace
...they did? how do you think it was decided?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 14, 2019, 09:24:01 pm by drfchound »
Maybe best of three, or five, or seven eh.

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 14, 2019, 09:26:57 pm by Geoff Blakesley »
Err no there was A super over as per the regs. Best one day game of cricket ever ??? Ecstacy for England !!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 14, 2019, 09:31:39 pm by drfchound »
Err no there was A super over as per the regs. Best one day game of cricket ever ??? Ecstacy for England !!

Totally agreed. My post was aimed at elmsall rovers comment.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 14, 2019, 10:22:04 pm by Donnywolf »

I agree it was a terrible way to lose such a showpiece event (in fact if people think about it its normally the way England would have lost such a game)

I agree that after a Super over ended in a Tie they should then do a second or a third or a fourth Super over until a winner is decided.

Unfortunately (for NZ) the Rules written for the Comp said that in the event of a Tie in the 50 over (main) game itelf highly unlikely then the Super over would decide the winner. The chances of that too being a Tie were also massive - but they decided that if it did happen then the 4s and 6s scored in the original 50 over game would come into play as a tie breaker

Both Teams knew this and indeed they were remnded of it before the Super over by the Umpires and so NZ knew they needed 2 off the last ball. Sad way to lose but rules is rules. I am sure the rules will now be looked at just in case this ever happens again - and as I agreed earlier - just play a second Super over and so on until there is NOT a tie

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 14, 2019, 10:42:51 pm by Draytonian III »
Just think of the uproar if it had been a New Zealand batsman instead of Stokes when the ball deflected to the boundary . Or come to think of it had have been an Australian, an Indian or a Pakistani

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 15, 2019, 12:02:47 am by BillyStubbsTears »

I agree it was a terrible way to lose such a showpiece event (in fact if people think about it its normally the way England would have lost such a game)

I agree that after a Super over ended in a Tie they should then do a second or a third or a fourth Super over until a winner is decided.

Unfortunately (for NZ) the Rules written for the Comp said that in the event of a Tie in the 50 over (main) game itelf highly unlikely then the Super over would decide the winner. The chances of that too being a Tie were also massive - but they decided that if it did happen then the 4s and 6s scored in the original 50 over game would come into play as a tie breaker

Both Teams knew this and indeed they were remnded of it before the Super over by the Umpires and so NZ knew they needed 2 off the last ball. Sad way to lose but rules is rules. I am sure the rules will now be looked at just in case this ever happens again - and as I agreed earlier - just play a second Super over and so on until there is NOT a tie

In fairness, I'm guessing no-one ever imagined a match like today's.

There's only about 1 tie every 150 or so ODIs.

Then, there's probably, I dunno, 4/1 odds against both sides getting the same Super Over score. SO you'd only expect the boundaries thing to come into play about once every 600 games. Or in about 1 final every two and a half thousand years.

You've certainly seen history today folks...

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 15, 2019, 01:22:33 am by RobTheRover »
Amazing finish. The whole family was gripped.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 15, 2019, 05:31:46 am by roversdude »
I’m not a massive cricket fan but even now a day on from the final, watching sky Sports it’s still emotional

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 15, 2019, 07:21:38 am by Donnywolf »
Agree 100% - it was an outcome that was extraordinary - and was made up by a series of little cameos / incidents which all led to that amazing finish

Lets face it - thats the way you expect England to lose - but somehow they gritted their teeth and just did it. Fine fine margins and something I will remember forever

However I am sure there are better ways to decide such a showpiece game. As I posted above and BST added the chances of a Tie in the normal game = massive. To have a Super over Tie = massive but more predictable I suppose with just 6 balls each

So the Rule makers did not see that coming and then decided "what would happen then to separate the 2 Teams ?". They decided then we would award the Trophy to the Team that hd scored most boundaries in the original 50 overs.

In the event of such an almost impossible scenario happening again they must simply change the rules to add a second super over and if needed a third and a fourth because that was pure theatre and would have added even more to the event itself - and I suspect they WILL and it will never ever be needed again

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 15, 2019, 07:27:20 am by Donnywolf »
PS Where is Champagne Super Over these days lol

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 15, 2019, 07:33:50 am by Donnywolf »
Brilliant article to capture it all

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48985109

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 15, 2019, 08:26:15 am by drfchound »

Yes, I have add that my wife watched it with me too and she isn’t too interested in sport.
The BBC this morning made a point that I was talking about yesterday, that is that it was on free to watch TV.
Pay to view TV prevents lots of kids from watching sport and if more games (football, cricket etc) was on freeview perhaps more of them would be inspired to try it for themselves.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 15, 2019, 10:27:08 am by NickDRFC »

Yes, I have add that my wife watched it with me too and she isn’t too interested in sport.
The BBC this morning made a point that I was talking about yesterday, that is that it was on free to watch TV.
Pay to view TV prevents lots of kids from watching sport and if more games (football, cricket etc) was on freeview perhaps more of them would be inspired to try it for themselves.

There's been criticism of the lack of access to international cricket for years - the mood around the country after the Ashes win in 2005 was amazing and should have been the starting point of getting kids involved again, but immediately after that international cricket was packaged off and sold to Sky. The mood yesterday/today is similar to after that Ashes triumph but given it will just be going back to Sky after this sadly I don't think there will be much of a spike in playing.

The Sky money has been beneficial in lots of ways but it's alienating a huge potential audience/potential future stars.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 15, 2019, 11:04:32 am by IDM »
The best way to follow cricket has always been, and still is, the bbc radio coverage in Teat Match Special.

The coverage is excellent, the analysis is as quick as anything and the discussions keep things going in even the dullest of cricket days.

And you can be doing all kinds of other things whilst listening.

One of the saddest moments in sport was when Johnners passed away.  Legend of TMS.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 15, 2019, 11:24:46 am by Iberian Red »
The best way to follow cricket has always been, and still is, the bbc radio coverage in Teat Match Special.

Sounds interesting,breast feeding and cricket!

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 15, 2019, 11:32:46 am by glosterred »

The coverage is excellent, the analysis is as quick as anything and the discussions keep things going in even the dullest of cricket days.

One of the saddest moments in sport was when Johnners passed away.  Legend of TMS.

And this is still one of the funniest pieces of radio commentary ever

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IzEBLrz3S1o

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 15, 2019, 01:21:20 pm by NickDRFC »

Behave, it’s an excellent alternative but the best way to follow is at the ground, and failing that live on television. I like TMS - I often listen whilst at work as it would be difficult to watch - but however good the analysis and painting a scene, it’s nothing like actually watching it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012