Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 06:03:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mental illness  (Read 2082 times)

sha66y

• Forum Member
Mental illness
« on August 03, 2021, 06:36:58 pm by sha66y »
Seems that what used to be known as stress or pressure in sport is now being labelled as mental illness …… not sure what I think about this !

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Mental illness
« Reply #1 on August 03, 2021, 08:44:23 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
They used to shoot soldiers who had stress/mental illness and call them cowards. Thank heavens things have moved on since those days.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 03, 2021, 09:17:49 pm by normal rules »
That’s a pretty sweeping comparison to make re soldiers and yes, you are accurate in that dissenters, absconders, malingerers or those who refused to soldier were treat like the enemy. The difference being is that one soldier suffering mental illness could have cost the lives of many others in battle. Different times of course, and yes, we have moved on from that thankfully. But to compare the fate of unwilling soldiers in battle to someone like an Olympic athlete is somewhat, how shall I put it, disproportionate. ?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 03, 2021, 09:45:19 pm by sha66y »
Maybe the athletes need shooting……….( obviously joking ) …………..

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 03, 2021, 10:26:22 pm by Sprotyrover »
They have mentioned mental Heath three times in the Olympic round up on BBC news at 10 what is the world coming to! my great Garndad spent 4 years in the Trenches in the Great War mr Grandad 2 and a half years. I wonder what they would make of thes pampered sports man and women !

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 03, 2021, 10:28:50 pm by Janso »
Forgot there were criteria before you were allowed to be mentally ill.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 03, 2021, 10:50:05 pm by SydneyRover »
not sure you'd want someone suffering mental problems in charge of weapons.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 04, 2021, 01:09:00 am by tyke1962 »
Mental illness isn't to be taken lightly and is extremely serious .

Unfortunately people like the young  US gymnast make a mockery of the illness and actually do more harm than good in promoting it .

Pulling out of competition in the Olympics claiming to be " looking after her mental health " only to return a few days later is ridiculous .

A mental condition doesn't work like that , it's a long term condition and can take years in some cases to overcome not a few days .

This illness can strike anyone irrespective of lifestyle or wealth but please do not use it like you've had a few days with the trots .

It deserves to be given far more respect than that .

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 04, 2021, 01:40:03 am by River Don »
I agree with that Tyke, I think assigning the tag of mental illness so easily doesn't do people who are struggling with more deep seated mental health problems any favours.

You don't overcome mental illnesses in a couple of days. That looks more like a way of excusing a failure to deal with normal pressure, which is increasingly a significant part of sport. This is why the sports psychologist is becoming such an important part of top class sport.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 04, 2021, 06:42:59 am by sha66y »
Forgot there were criteria before you were allowed to be mentally ill.

There is actually!

Being mentally ill being one of them

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 04, 2021, 06:57:57 am by Redandwhite »
They used to shoot soldiers who had stress/mental illness and call them cowards. Thank heavens things have moved on since those days.

I think there was a little more to it than that

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 04, 2021, 08:58:28 am by Axholme Lion »
Mental illness is a trendy thing to have nowadays. Personally i'm too busy going to work and living my life. These people jumping on the bandwagon are spoiling it for the genuinely ill.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 04, 2021, 01:02:10 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
That’s a pretty sweeping comparison to make re soldiers and yes, you are accurate in that dissenters, absconders, malingerers or those who refused to soldier were treat like the enemy. The difference being is that one soldier suffering mental illness could have cost the lives of many others in battle. Different times of course, and yes, we have moved on from that thankfully. But to compare the fate of unwilling soldiers in battle to someone like an Olympic athlete is somewhat, how shall I put it, disproportionate. ?

How can I be accurate about dissenters, absconders, malingerers when I explicitly and exclusively talked about soldiers who had stress/mental illness? Because as soon as you said that, all your implications of what you think I said after that accusation is b*llocks. Sorry.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 04, 2021, 02:25:25 pm by glosterred »
Maybe the athletes need shooting……….( obviously joking ) …………..

Bit like referees then?

COYR

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 04, 2021, 03:08:46 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Unfortunately people like the young  US gymnast make a mockery of the illness and actually do more harm than good in promoting it .

Pulling out of competition in the Olympics claiming to be " looking after her mental health " only to return a few days later is ridiculous .

A mental condition doesn't work like that , it's a long term condition and can take years in some cases to overcome not a few days .

This illness can strike anyone irrespective of lifestyle or wealth but please do not use it like you've had a few days with the trots .

Could that long-term condition you're talking of include being sexually abused by a trainer and then being expected to perform in front of an audience that knows all about it?

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 05, 2021, 11:19:57 am by Sprotyrover »
When you go onto the Brecon Beacons to try for a place in the Regiment it is a test of your physical but more so your mental strength. the racing snakes shoot off seemingly miles In front of you, but you knuckle down think of you goal drawn your inner strength and endure, on the backbreaking jog through the heat, through the thirst, through the pain of every muscle in your body screaming in agony, you push yourself on,  as  you pass by  the broken remains of those who shot off in front and when you , you know when you reach the finish,f you know you are good enough.
That's a mind set ,it is not a mental illness some people just can't hack it, clearly our selection process is flawed.

Out of the night that covers me,
      Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
      For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
      I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
      My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
      Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
      Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
      How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
      I am the captain of my soul.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 08, 2021, 01:31:53 pm by normal rules »

How can I be accurate about dissenters, absconders, malingerers when I explicitly and exclusively talked about soldiers who had stress/mental illness? Because as soon as you said that, all your implications of what you think I said after that accusation is b*llocks. Sorry.

Mental illness during world wars was simply not recognised as such though, it was recognised as malingering, or dissenting or simply refusing to soldier. That’s why there were sanatoriums and the like. Don’t forget these were times when conditions such as autism were considered as madness. So to state soldiers were shot for having mental health issues would be inaccurate. They were shot because they were not soldiering. And that’s how it would have been documented. Mental health was simply not understood or accepted for that matter like it is in the 21st c.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 08, 2021, 02:59:37 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Mental illness during world wars was simply not recognised as such though, it was recognised as malingering, or dissenting or simply refusing to soldier. That’s why there were sanatoriums and the like. Don’t forget these were times when conditions such as autism were considered as madness. So to state soldiers were shot for having mental health issues would be inaccurate. They were shot because they were not soldiering. And that’s how it would have been documented. Mental health was simply not understood or accepted for that matter like it is in the 21st c.

The bottom line is that soldiers with mental health problems were unjustly executed because of the symptoms they displayed.

CoppsChop

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 08, 2021, 03:59:49 pm by CoppsChop »
They have mentioned mental Heath three times in the Olympic round up on BBC news at 10 what is the world coming to! my great Garndad spent 4 years in the Trenches in the Great War mr Grandad 2 and a half years. I wonder what they would make of thes pampered sports man and women !

It was very common for those who fought in the trenches to be changed forever by their experience and be too traumatised to ever discuss it with their family meaning we still don’t really understand the horrors.

I would imagine many would be able to have some really in depth discussions around mental health.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 08, 2021, 05:59:01 pm by ravenrover »
Not to mention those who fought in the jungles of India and Burmha, the forgotten war. My Father in Law would only ever talk about what he called the good times. The off duty football games involving the odd International player, the cameraderie the laughs but never the actual nitty gritty of the war itself with one exception when he spoke sbout advancing on one ocassion and seeing the piles off bodies at the side of the road. He refused his Burmha Star, people shouldn't get medals for killing people he said

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 08, 2021, 08:52:04 pm by normal rules »

The bottom line is that soldiers with mental health problems were unjustly executed because of the symptoms they displayed.

I could not agree more. And I was a soldier for 14.5 yrs of my life.

But I cannot support a comment comparing sick soldiers with the likes of that pathetic American gymnast who wants to switch on her “illness” when it suits for no other reason than to further her own selfish image.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 08, 2021, 09:03:48 pm by GazLaz »
Another thread that when you read it you realise how f**king stupid some people are. Maybe ignorant is a better word than stupid….. in fact both!

CoppsChop

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 08, 2021, 10:43:15 pm by CoppsChop »

But I cannot support a comment comparing sick soldiers with the likes of that pathetic American gymnast who wants to switch on her “illness” when it suits for no other reason than to further her own selfish image.

With a view like that about a survivor of sexual abuse I am glad you are no longer representing our armed forces.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 08, 2021, 11:05:23 pm by bpoolrover »
The problem with mental illness is many people do not understand it, it can happen to anyone at anytime for the littlest of reasons

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 09, 2021, 12:33:51 am by albie »
Sometimes there can be a bit of confusion between mental illness and performance anxiety.

The latter is temporary and often linked to a specific event, like Ronaldo in the World Cup final a few years ago.
Mental illness tends to be longer in preparation, and the duration is also more sustained.

Most athletes and sportsmen have performance anxiety to some degree.
Those who manage it better, with support from those in the background, learn how to defuse the stress before the event.

One can bleed into the other, because PA can become a source of mental unwellness if not managed well.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 09, 2021, 10:43:32 am by normal rules »

With a view like that about a survivor of sexual abuse I am glad you are no longer representing our armed forces.

An irrelevant attempt to discredit my stance on this. She has made no mention of this during her initial withdrawal. She cited “the twisties”. A condition that has plagued other atheletes in her sport.
I’ve got another reason she withdrew. She has passed her peak. She is 24 and achieved amazing things in her career, but Others have overtaken her. She can’t take it. Easy out, play the MH card. With PR like it is around mental well-being currently, it was a no brainier for her. A win win. The loser wins. A bronze medal becomes her gold.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 09, 2021, 01:40:45 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Based on NO evidence whatsoever, of course.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 09, 2021, 01:58:58 pm by DonnyOsmond »

It isn't ridiculous, anxiety is a mental illness and can vary day to day.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 09, 2021, 06:23:19 pm by sha66y »

In that case there must be close to 100% of adults who have at some time in there life suffered mental illness…..whether it be anxiety, stress, and other associated clumped together fears of something ……

Perhaps this is the new society….

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 09, 2021, 06:42:08 pm by DonnyOsmond »

In that case there must be close to 100% of adults who have at some time in there life suffered mental illness…..whether it be anxiety, stress, and other associated clumped together fears of something ……

Perhaps this is the new society….

Not sure if you're being genuine or trying to belittle peoples mental health struggles?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012