Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 06:30:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mental illness  (Read 2082 times)

CoppsChop

• Forum Member
Re: Mental illness
« Reply #30 on August 10, 2021, 09:32:16 pm by CoppsChop »
That’s a pretty sweeping comparison to make re soldiers and yes, you are accurate in that dissenters, absconders, malingerers or those who refused to soldier were treat like the enemy. The difference being is that one soldier suffering mental illness could have cost the lives of many others in battle. Different times of course, and yes, we have moved on from that thankfully. But to compare the fate of unwilling soldiers in battle to someone like an Olympic athlete is somewhat, how shall I put it, disproportionate. ?

How can I be accurate about dissenters, absconders, malingerers when I explicitly and exclusively talked about soldiers who had stress/mental illness? Because as soon as you said that, all your implications of what you think I said after that accusation is b*llocks. Sorry.

Mental illness during world wars was simply not recognised as such though, it was recognised as malingering, or dissenting or simply refusing to soldier. That’s why there were sanatoriums and the like. Don’t forget these were times when conditions such as autism were considered as madness. So to state soldiers were shot for having mental health issues would be inaccurate. They were shot because they were not soldiering. And that’s how it would have been documented. Mental health was simply not understood or accepted for that matter like it is in the 21st c.

The bottom line is that soldiers with mental health problems were unjustly executed because of the symptoms they displayed.

I could not agree more. And I was a soldier for 14.5 yrs of my life.

But I cannot support a comment comparing sick soldiers with the likes of that pathetic American gymnast who wants to switch on her “illness” when it suits for no other reason than to further her own selfish image.

With a view like that about a survivor of sexual abuse I am glad you are no longer representing our armed forces.

An irrelevant attempt to discredit my stance on this. She has made no mention of this during her initial withdrawal. She cited “the twisties”. A condition that has plagued other atheletes in her sport.
I’ve got another reason she withdrew. She has passed her peak. She is 24 and achieved amazing things in her career, but Others have overtaken her. She can’t take it. Easy out, play the MH card. With PR like it is around mental well-being currently, it was a no brainier for her. A win win. The loser wins. A bronze medal becomes her gold.

A demonstrated history of mental health issues after serious trauma is not irrelevant.

Your dismissal of someone experience issues is problematic and I hope if you ever have MH problems you are surrounded by people with more understanding than you are displaying.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012