Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:37:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Houthis/Iran  (Read 2056 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Houthis/Iran
« on January 11, 2024, 08:31:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This could get very nasty, very quickly.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Houthis/Iran
« Reply #1 on January 11, 2024, 08:33:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Apparently Starmer and John Healey (Shadow Defence Sec and next MP for Conisbrough and Denaby) are being briefed in the Privy Council on developments. Which suggests it's getting serious.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 11, 2024, 08:34:27 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Perfect time to have an upcoming holiday to the middle east I'd say.... :chair:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 11, 2024, 08:40:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This is the big game panning out after the Hamas 7 Oct attack.

I was certain at the time that was the context of those attacks. Aimed at lighting the tinder box, so Iran and its proxies could do Putin's bidding and try to hit the West's interests.

Buckle up now.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 11, 2024, 08:44:39 pm by wilts rover »
Sky News just broadcast the Pentagon Press Conference, not even mentioned.

Any action thought to be 'several days off' rather than imminent according to 'sources'.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 11, 2024, 08:46:16 pm by SydneyRover »
I guess that's why Israel's attack should have been more precise/restrained instead of trying to kill everyone in gaza.

edited

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 11, 2024, 08:48:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I guess that's why Israel's attack should have been more precise instead of trying to kill everyone in gaza.

It makes bugger all difference. This is nothing whatsoever to do with the poor f**kers in Gaza. They are just pawns.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 11, 2024, 08:49:51 pm by SydneyRover »
I guess that's why Israel's attack should have been more precise instead of trying to kill everyone in gaza.

It makes bugger all difference. This is nothing whatsoever to do with the poor f**kers in Gaza. They are just pawns.

I understand that but it doesn't justify it, does it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 11, 2024, 08:53:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I understand that but it doesn't justify it, does it.

Then why raise it?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 11, 2024, 08:58:24 pm by SydneyRover »
Because it needs repeating, Hamas were in the wrong now Israel are in the wrong, it goes on. The result possible major conflict. Israel and the US should have found another way.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 11, 2024, 10:01:06 pm by Filo »
Houthis keep poking the bear, at some point the bear reacts, they’ve had fair warning about attacking ships in the Red Sea but have ignored them, they are now about to pay the price for that

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 11, 2024, 10:27:49 pm by normal rules »
Carpet bomb the whole of f**kin Yemen where these attacks are being launched from. Twice over. Scorched earth policy. The leader of the Houthis has said that this is all about their faith and support for Gaza . They want conflict. It’s a way of self vindication. Give em what they want I say. And don’t spare the lead.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 11, 2024, 10:52:31 pm by TonySoprano »
This could get very nasty, very quickly.
Calm down, it'll be a few precision strikes, and beefing up of security in the red sea.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 11, 2024, 11:15:34 pm by SydneyRover »
Carpet bomb the whole of f**kin Yemen where these attacks are being launched from. Twice over. Scorched earth policy. The leader of the Houthis has said that this is all about their faith and support for Gaza . They want conflict. It’s a way of self vindication. Give em what they want I say. And don’t spare the lead.

Gosh, I'm sure you protested that you were not an extremist nr?

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 11, 2024, 11:53:13 pm by Pancho Regan »

Of course this is to do with the “poor f**kers” in Gaza.

The wanton killing by Israel of civilians in Gaza is fuel to the fire of every anti-West organisation in the Middle-East.
We will now witness the proliferation of this conflict, dragging in more parties including the UK.

Israel have been allowed to inflict appalling devastation on the civilian population of Gaza and now we will get dragged into the consequences of that action.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 11, 2024, 11:55:57 pm by Pancho Regan »

Yep, that should sort it!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 12, 2024, 12:04:53 am by MachoMadness »
Yeah let's bomb another middle eastern country into dust. It hasn't helped the last few dozen times we've tried it but normal rules has got a good feeling about this next one.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 12, 2024, 12:13:50 am by BillyStubbsTears »

The wanton killing by Israel of civilians in Gaza is fuel to the fire of every anti-West organisation in the Middle-East.
We will now witness the proliferation of this conflict, dragging in more parties including the UK.

Israel have been allowed to inflict appalling devastation on the civilian population of Gaza and now we will get dragged into the consequences of that action.

Pancho.

My point is that Iran, backed by Russia wants escalation in the Middle East. Which is why they are supporting the Houthi action.

The war in Gaza is a fig leaf for that. Iran and Moscow don't give a f**k about the Palestinians. When Hamas attacked, it was inevitable that there'd be a reaction by Israel, and Iran and Russia use that to stir agitation among people in the West. They WANT that because their ultimate aim is to weaken the West.

Yes, Israel's response helps them, but don't kid yourself. If Israel had responded by dropping rose petals on Gaza, Iran and Russia would have found a way to paint it as an overreaction.

What IS happening in Gaza is horrific. No question. But there is a far, far bigger game going on here. The Gaza Palestinians are being sacrificed by states who don't care about them and are prepared to use them for their bigger purposes.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 12, 2024, 07:01:00 am by normal rules »

Gosh, I'm sure you protested that you were not an extremist nr?

Are the Israelis extremists for standing up against terrorism?
The Houthi rebels are trying to bully a global shipping lane.
Only one way to deal with bullies I’m afraid.  Besides, they will be expecting it.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 12, 2024, 07:07:12 am by normal rules »
Here we go then:

In the early hours of this morning, jets from a US aircraft carrier already in the region - backed up by a tomahawk fired from US warships hit more than 12 sites - including in the capital Sanaa and the port of Hudaydah.

The US said support for the strikes was provided by Australia, Bahrain, Canada and the Netherlands. The UK took part.

Four Typhoon jets flew from RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus - a round trip of several thousand miles - which required refuelling. They used paveway bombs to hit 2 targets – a site said to be used for launching drones and an airfield from where the Houthis have fired missiles.

In a statement soon after the strikes, Rishi Sunak said Britain would always stand up for the freedom of navigation and the free flow of trade.

President Biden defended the action saying the strikes were in direct response to unprecedented Houthi attacks against international shipping.

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 12, 2024, 07:09:12 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
NR is right, we have to stand up to it, actions must have consequences and this shipping is vital for us as a country these days.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 12, 2024, 07:19:32 am by ncRover »
We wouldn’t have the lives we do today without our ancestors standing up for themselves and showing strength

BahrainRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 12, 2024, 07:21:11 am by BahrainRover »
Perfect time to have an upcoming holiday to the middle east I'd say.... :chair:

I live and work in Dhahran Saudi Arabia. Not concerned. Its a couple of years since our last scud attack here. Nice they are pointing in a diffrent direction for once.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 12, 2024, 08:07:55 am by SydneyRover »
NR is right, we have to stand up to it, actions must have consequences and this shipping is vital for us as a country these days.

Gosh, it's not what you said when putin marched into Ukraine, is it pud?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 12, 2024, 08:11:02 am by Filo »
HMS Diamond was attacked by Houthis a couple of days ago, that in itself is an act of War by them, the Houthis started this in the Red Sea, they now suffer the consequences

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 12, 2024, 08:17:16 am by normal rules »
They were warned two weeks ago to stop attacking cargo ships.
They didn’t stop.
Uk and us ships were there in a passive defensive role shooting down missiles and drones only.
But then to go and attack the US destroyer is crossing the big red line. And the first reported use of anti ship ballistic missile would not have gone un noticed.
Whilst my initial comment about carpet bombing may have seemed a little extreme, the UK RAF use of Paveway IV bombs are equally devastating. The US are reporting 60 sites were hit this morning. With 100 precision missiles.  Paveway bombs have a lethal radius of 400m and a very damaging radius of 800m. A couple of these alone would flatten your average military airbase. Killing most within it.
If the Houthis don’t stop, then there will be even more large areas of scorched earth in Yemen.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 12, 2024, 08:33:00 am by SydneyRover »
May as well get rid of Mi6 and all embassies in mid east if nobody saw this coming. It will save a lot of money.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 12, 2024, 08:35:06 am by Pancho Regan »

Pancho.

My point is that Iran, backed by Russia wants escalation in the Middle East. Which is why they are supporting the Houthi action.

The war in Gaza is a fig leaf for that. Iran and Moscow don't give a f**k about the Palestinians. When Hamas attacked, it was inevitable that there'd be a reaction by Israel, and Iran and Russia use that to stir agitation among people in the West. They WANT that because their ultimate aim is to weaken the West.

Yes, Israel's response helps them, but don't kid yourself. If Israel had responded by dropping rose petals on Gaza, Iran and Russia would have found a way to paint it as an overreaction.

What IS happening in Gaza is horrific. No question. But there is a far, far bigger game going on here. The Gaza Palestinians are being sacrificed by states who don't care about them and are prepared to use them for their bigger purposes.

I understand your point better now that you've expanded on it BST.
I was simply disagreeing with your statement that "this is nothing whatsoever to do with the poor f**kers in Gaza".

I've just listened to Jeremy Bowen, for whom I have a great deal of respect in terms of his knowledge of the Middle East and the various actors there.
He 'knows' the Houthis. He said they have stated clearly that if there was a ceasefire in Gaza, and meaningful aid was allowed in, then they would stop their attacks on shipping in the Red Sea.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 12, 2024, 08:39:57 am by SydneyRover »
It's a very dangerous situation netanyahu desperate to stay out of jail, a PM o=in election year where a major distraction for the electorate would be a **dsend and the US president looking a bit shaky.

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 12, 2024, 09:19:15 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Gosh, it's not what you said when putin marched into Ukraine, is it pud?

Last I checked, the Ukrainians weren't attacking civilians in international waters as far as I can remember.  The UK has had a responsibility for middle east shipping for decades, it's nothing new.

Quite rightly both the government and opposition agree with the strikes btw!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 09:21:41 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012